Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1" hose and 1" hose quick connect - Hard to connect

Murphy8166

I ordered some 1" black ballast hose and some 1" fittings from wake makers. They are the black elbows with the red quick release.

How hard is it to slide the hose onto the quick connect? I've heated and use soap to the point I think the hose is losing some if it original structure and strength.

Is iit supposed to he this difficult?

Heat it, it will slide on easily. Heat gun, boiling water, it doesn't matter. Heat gun is probably the easiest method (I've never tried boiling water...that just seems like a burn waiting to happen).

Not really - heat gun get's a lot more hot to the touch and does not heat uniformly. I was able to hold the hose in boiling water for 25 seconds and then use my bare hand to manipulate it onto the fitting.

Not sure if you ever played football but it is kind of the same concept of heating up a mouthpiece in boiling water and them putting it into your mouth to fit it.

The trick with the heat gun is to slowly rotate the hose so it heats as evenly as possible. Lubing up the fitting is a must, other wise, the friction of the rubber hose on the plastic fitting will prevent the hose from fully seating. After about 30 second, the hose is beginning to cool. For a lube, I use 3M 5200 since I have it out already. Its very slick in its uncured state and takes just a thin layer on the tip of the fitting.

Edited by MLA

Murphy: I had the same problem fitting the spiral wire type 1" hose on that fitting. Tried a heat gun. Tried soap. Tried cussing (which seemed to help more than the heat gun and the soap). Tried heating up the hose, applying soap, stretching the inside of the hose with long nose pliers, more cussing, etc. Bottom line was that for whatever reason, it was still almost impossible. Finally got it on, but not until I was hoarse. If I had to do it all again, would go with the 1 1/8 hose. Wakemakers is great, but after watching their guy slide the hose on the fitting in one minute, and trying the same technique for over an hour with the spiral wire hose, I was ready to find the guy in the video and beat him with my deformed, melted hot rubber hose (metaphorically, of course).

• Like 1

When the threaded port fitting is the actual bottle-neck in the entire system, its not worth the added expense of the 1.125" hose. And as Ronnie pointed out, the impeller pumps have a 1" OD HB fitting, as well as many of the other hose barb fitting. The T1200 and Rule 1100 outlets are 1.125" and the Flow-Rite QC's. IMO, I would rather stretch 1" over a 1.125 fitting as opposed to trying to clamp down 1.125 in a 1" fitting.

Murphy: I had the same problem fitting the spiral wire type 1" hose on that fitting. Tried a heat gun. Tried soap. Tried cussing (which seemed to help more than the heat gun and the soap). Tried heating up the hose, applying soap, stretching the inside of the hose with long nose pliers, more cussing, etc. Bottom line was that for whatever reason, it was still almost impossible. Finally got it on, but not until I was hoarse. If I had to do it all again, would go with the 1 1/8 hose. Wakemakers is great, but after watching their guy slide the hose on the fitting in one minute, and trying the same technique for over an hour with the spiral wire hose, I was ready to find the guy in the video and beat him with my deformed, melted hot rubber hose (metaphorically, of course).

I did the same thing with some ribbed hose. So I just went with the hose that is smooth on the outside and it seems to respond much easier to the heat gun. I will never use the ribbed hose again.

TO be clear what we are talking about.

I hate this stuff, even though it seems to make corners in tight spaces better:

hose.jpg

I love this stuff:

boat-ballast-livewell-tank-hose.jpg

Edited by TallRedRider