Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which way does the thermostat go back in - Take 2

99maliburlx

Ok, so I took some better pictures, just wondering on my 99 Indmar Monsoon, which way does the thermostat go back in...

Can't figure it out, here are two better pictures...

Thanks for the help in advance!

Is it (A)

https://picasaweb.google.com/jeffwebmail/November32012#5806804534801194914

Or (B)

https://picasaweb.google.com/jeffwebmail/November32012#5806804534425210530

Thanks again!

Ok, someone correct me if I'm thinking backward.

A thermostat always "lifts" to allow water to pass. Therefore turn the thermostat in the direction of water flow so it opens against the water flow direction. So, if the thermostat spring were to fail the water flow would force/hold it in the closed position.

Let's be precise about this.....

The thermostat opens in the direction of flow towards the radiator in a car. In other words, with the engine cold and the thermostat closed the water does not circulate through the radiator. For us with boats there's no radiator, just the water going out the wet exhaust pipe, but it's the same configuration at the thermostat regardless....