Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which way does my thermostat go back in...

99maliburlx

I feel like a bit of a moron, this is a 99 response lx with a monsoon in it.

Which way does the thermostat go back in.

Does it go with the deep end into the engine as in the picture below (A)

https://picasaweb.google.com/jeffwebmail/ThermostatDirectionOnMalibu#5806684406166556514

Or does the deep end go into the thermostat housing cover as in (B)

https://picasaweb.google.com/jeffwebmail/ThermostatDirectionOnMalibu#5806684403422676514

Appreciate your help, please let me know, thank you!

#1 is upside down. What a dummy!

:blush: I better put my glasses on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't know what I was looking at yesterday.

Edited by Sixball

If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a stamp on the flange of the thermostat, and says, "To Rad" , as in to radiator?

And that end is up? Think Zone 5 is right, the spring would push the door open and allow water to flow down.

Steve B.

He's asking if the t-stat itself sits in the top of the block (pic #1) or on the top of the t-stat housing with the exhaust cooling hose "T" on it that sits on top of the block (pic #2).

The correct answer is pic #1 - it sits on the top of the thermostat housing with just the t-stat cover on top of it.

The pill section of the thermostat, what actually measures the water temp, goes down in the intake manifold to measure the hot water (pic #1). Don't forget the gasket, which goes on top of the t-stat. Some grease or gasket cement/rtv will help keep any leaks from happening (your choice depends on whether you think you will be working in that area any more, gasket cement will be harder to remove later).