Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Too Good to be true?

Joeprunc

I found an ad on craigslist for an 04 Response LXI listed for $12,000, I think it is too good to be true.

Unfortunately I am at work and cannot view CL ads, but here are our email interactions, what do you think!?!?? SCAM or LEGIT???

Has anyone used OCG Services or know what it is? The ad is in CA, but the boat looks to be registered in Louisiana. He ignored a lot of my questions which makes me suspicious. I replied back to him today asking to go see the boat.

My first email

Good morning,

I have been looking to upgrade our ski boat for about a year now, looking primarily for a MC 197 or Response LXI. A friend of mine has an 06 Response LX, and we really like it. I do have a few questions regarding your sale and boat:

Why are you selling it?

Its listed as for sale for $12,000, is that a typo?

Has it ever been in the salt water? Do you primarily boat in the delta?

Are you the original owner?

Have you ever beached the boat for the afternoon?

Could you send me a few additional higher resolution pictures?

Hopefully some of the indicated damaged areas, a few more of the interior, the engine, and the bilge area.

Also I will not purchase a boat with out a test drive and quick ski I have not skied behind an LXI and I know the wake is a bit different than the LX (I will pay for gas and launch fees), is this ok with you?

Sorry for all the questions, I just like to know as much as I can about a purchase before I drive out to look at it. We recently moved to the Brentwood area.

Thank you,

Joe

His response

The boat is not sold yet . It is in outstanding condition . There are no structural or electrical problems with this boat. Both hull and interior in nice condition .No mechanical issues with this engine at all. It starts easily and restart easily all day. It has ALWAYS been properly maintained and never run hard or abused.There aren’t any service indicators or warning lights on. For the winter, the boat always gets acid washed on the bottom to remove any algee .Also it has been winterized each year .Trailer is in very nice condition and the tires are almost new with plenty of tread left. The interior is in good condition. It has a clear and clean title, free of all liens and encumberances.

I have to let you know that i left town a few days ago because i have to help my daughter organize her wedding, and i may stay here a while, but this is no problem because i`ll sell it through OCG services. I guess you used OCG before, if you didn`t let me know because i met people that never used it and i will explain how it works in detail. I want to sell it now because i need the money for my daughters wedding so if you are interested in buying it now let me know.

Regards,

P.S see more photos bellow:

https://picasaweb.go...gCNqIyvH4-7W7Lw

Charles

Pictures: https://picasaweb.go...gCNqIyvH4-7W7Lw

Edited by Joeprunc

Few things I've noticed about the scams are, they are usually priced pretty close to 1/2 of what book value is, they usually don't don't give a legit phone number if they list one in the add at all, and always respond with the 3rd party stuff.

Keep looking, one will show up..on another note, going out on Sunday to the Delta if u are looking for a ski run, launching from Lazy M, Riversend Marina is chocked full of weeds right now,thats were we usually launch from

Really glad I viewed this! I just replied to an add on Kijiji about a camper Van, check out the reply I got:

The van is not sold yet . The vehicle is in excellent shape, has a fresh oil change, newer tires, brakes and battery. I have always taken great care of it, always serviced it on time. Mechanically the van is in excellent condition, engine runs great without any oil leaks and does not smoke. Transmission shifts smooth through all gears. Suspension is tight, there are absolutely no rattles or noises. A/C and heat work great.

The brake pads are all in excellent condition.There aren’t any service indicators or warning lights on.

The interior in great shape dash intact no tears in seats. It has never been in an accident. It has a clear and clean title, free of all liens and encumberances.

I have to let you know that i left town a few days ago because i have to help my daughter organize her wedding, and i may stay here a while, but this is no problem because i`ll sell it through OCG services. I guess you used OCG before, if you didn`t let me know because i met people that never used it and i will explain how it works in detail. I want to sell it now because i need the money for my daughters wedding so if you are interested in buying it now let me know.

Regards,

P.S see more photos bellow:

https://picasaweb.google.com/100050191037213075216/Car34?authkey=Gv1sRgCOyTlJ2n06GM2AE

K. Coffey

Couldn't even come up with a new story!!!!

People actually fall for this stuff (unfortunately). Online scams like this are a HUGE business.

Why is it that a guy who steals something of moderate value....like a scooter worth $500 bucks....gets thrown in jail while these online scammers...who are often ripping people off for large sums of money....rarely get convicted? The police and FBI need to up their game a whooooooole lot with regard to online fraud. This includes drawing in foreign authorities when the scammer is located in a foreign jurisdiction.

The scammers who try to pull this stuff need to be convicted, thrown in jail and bass taped until they bleed.

Edited by CliffB

The thing that stuck out to me right away is that he didn't answer a single question you asked. Just went on about how "great" the boat was.

Also the "I'm gonna be out of town......" Total B.S.

Add to that:

- Someone who needs to sell their boat in order to pay for their daughter's wedding isn't exactly wealthy. Yet this person obviously isn't working if they can take weeks off at a time to help with the wedding. It doesn't make any sense.

- Encumberances is not a word normally used in the US, especially on selling something. Makes the scam detector go off right away

- OCG Services - clear indicator right there from using a 3rd party company. And if you are going to say you plan to use a company, don't just make one up as Google isn't exactly hard to use.

Sorry for the slight hijack.

Here's one that may be legit. If someone is interested, I'd call and take a look. It may be close to me.

http://akroncanton.c...3336279215.html

Steve B.

40k for an '06 V-ride. That's a big pass. Base motor, 3-blade prop, I see no heater, dock lights, shower, etc. listed either. I "assume" trim indicator = power wedge. For 40k you are getting into the '05-06 Wakesetter price point, which is much more valuable boat than the V-ride. That V-ride is about $10,000 overpriced. And with that Cleveland Browns theme, unless you are a Browns fan, devalues it even more (limits the market at least).

40k for an '06 V-ride. That's a big pass. Base motor, 3-blade prop, I see no heater, dock lights, shower, etc. listed either. I "assume" trim indicator = power wedge. For 40k you are getting into the '05-06 Wakesetter price point, which is much more valuable boat than the V-ride. That V-ride is about $10,000 overpriced. And with that Cleveland Browns theme, unless you are a Browns fan, devalues it even more (limits the market at least).

:plus1:

That thing is a turd.

This seems to be a new guy/new scam/new trend or somesuch. I sent a Craigslister (Lansing, MI) an email earlier this week asking questions about a 1976 GMC Motorhome and received this response:

I still have the motorhome for sale. It is in a great condition. The engine starts up perfectly and doesn't smoke or hesitate. Quiet exhaust. The transmission shifts smoothly, oil, exhaust system and brakes recently inspected , they are o.k i took good care of it. It has all service up to date.

The tires and brakes are good and the suspension is in excellent condition and has a very nice ride to it. All turn signal, brake, parking and reverse lights work correctly . The interior is in excellent condition . Carpeting and upholstery are in very good shape. There are no roof leaks of any kind, I reseal the roof every season as a precaution. Seats are the originals. The exterior is in good shape, no accidents or dents to speak of. The body is very solid. No delam. Side walls are strong. The roof is strong as well. All the appliances are in working condition. It has no unpleasant odors of any kind (i.e.; pet, smoke, musty, etc.) . There is no water damage . It has a clear and clean title, free of all liens and encumberances.. It has72,610 miles on it

Unfortunately I am not home and I can't sell it myself because i left town few days ago to help my daughter organizing her wedding and i may stay here a while. There is no problem for me as far as the transaction is concerned because I was selling this through OCG anyway. I believe you know what OCG is if you buy and sell online often, if you don't I'll be glad to walk you through the process. Let me know if you are still interested

See more pictures bellow:

https://picasaweb.go...CKbT6YaYtOW63QE

Hopefully all of them do justice to the condition this motorhome is in.

I created an account here (I don't know nuthin' 'bout Malibu boats, but enjoy!) just so I could add my post to this thread, and thank you all for comparing notes. I figure the more this stuff gets indexed by Google, the better defense we'll have against no-gooders. "Daughter getting married" again! Granted this is all in the same week--he's got a lot of merchandise on CL to be jettin' to a weddin'. And sheesh--OCG--no such thing apparently--probably doesn't have a daughter either. This would never have gone down to where I got the shaft, but still.

Cheers!

Edited by brmiller

So I am another with a different example of this exact same scam, I found it last night and started emailing back and forth with the guy. Here is the amazing similar/same excerpt. It is a listing on Craigslist and specific to "Fraser Valley" in British Columbia, Canada. I can tell you, Fraser Valley is a pretty small subsection area of Craigslist. Did this guy/group put hundreds (thousands?) of these out there covering every little district? My example was for a 1975 Volkswagon Bus. The listing is here: http://abbotsford.en.craigslist.ca/cto/3380235019.html

His response to my questions was:

I still have the van for sale . It is in excellent shape, has a fresh oil change, newer tires, brakes and Battery. I have always taken great care of it and has all service up to date at an autohorized dealer.. Mechanically the van is in excellent condition, engine runs great without any oil leaks and does not smoke. Suspension is tight, there are absolutely no rattles or noises. A/C and heat work great. The interior in great shape. It has never been in an accident. It has a clear and clean title, free of all liens and encumberances.

Unfortunately I am not home and I can't sell it myself because i left town few days ago to help my daughter organizing her wedding and i may stay here a while, but this is not a problem because i`ll sell it through OCG services. I believe you know what OCG is if you buy and sell online often, if you don't I'll be glad to walk you through the process. Let me know if you are still interested

See more pictures bellow:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111904259901178552443/1975VolkswagenBusVanagonBusVanagon?authkey=Gv1sRgCKb7r8m3ydLkCw

In my situation, his name was Joshua Hall.

Thanks for this discussion post. I'd already written him and asked if I can see the van and how an OCG Services works..... and decided to google it.

And? I don't even have a boat. I made a quick account here just so I could weigh in with my experience (as of this morning).

-George

Minutes later after my post and I'm still shaking my head. The guy spent a fair amount of time listing all the work he'd done on the van right down to the cylinder rings, wrist pins and something called the intake booster vacuum reset clamps. Heck, I don't even know what that is but I was impressed. It was a huge listing and all the great pictures and then his response with a google picasa page with even more pictures. But yep, you have to listen to that voice inside your head saying "jeez that sounds too good to be true for only $4400"........ And I did say to my daughter (my real daughter and no she's not getting married right now) that it was weird all the pictures look like they were taken in summer time with all the trees still with nice green leaves........ Yep.

Edited by kinggeorge13