Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Running in period?

I picked up my brand new 2011 VTX from the wharf a month ago and would like to know if there is a running in period? The engine booklet that came with the boat says 20 hours under 2000 rpms, no skier or ballast. Is this correct? I couldn't find anything in the Malibu owners manual or this forum. (maybe not searching the right words)

Details

2011 Malibu VTX - 0 hours (brand new)

350 Monsoon

Does the engine need to be run in?

How many hours for?

What RPM or speed?

Can skiers be towed?

Can ballast be used?

Any help will be appreciated.

Dutchy

I picked up my brand new 2011 VTX from the wharf a month ago and would like to know if there is a running in period? The engine booklet that came with the boat says 20 hours under 2000 rpms, no skier or ballast. Is this correct?

First... Congratulations on the new boat!

The "under 2000 RPMs" period is only the first hour. The next hour is "do not exceed 3000 RPMs" and the next seven hours are "do not exceed 4000 RPMs". No ballast for the first 10 hours.

We started pulling riders at 4 hours or so. The manual says "don't carry (or pull) heavy loads" during the break-in period (10 hours) but I didn't consider my 130 lb or 75 lb kids a "heavy load". Plus... I figured it didn't make a lot of difference to the engine whether they were in the boat or behind it. :lol:

Here is the excerpt from the Indmar manual. (The 2011 manual says the same thing that the 2012 manual says).

Break-In

Taking care now to break-in your new Indmar engine is VERY important. When properly broken in, you engine will last longer, run better and require fewer repairs over its lifetime. You new Indmar engine does not require an elaborate break-in procedure, just a little care and common sense for the first 10 hours.

Break-in Tips

• Always let engine warm up to normal operating temperatures before accelerating.
  • Avoid fast accelerations and don't carry (or pull) a heavy load during this period.
  • If your boat is equipped with ballast tanks, do not use them for the first 10 hours
  • Check engine and transmission fluid levels frequently. During the first 50 to 100 hours, an engine can use more oil than usual. Maintain oil at proper levels at all times but do not overfill.
  • Vary your boat speed during break-in. Do not run at the same speed very long.
  • Observe gauge readings and check for loose mountings, fittings, nuts, bolts and clamps.
  • Report abnormal operation, noises or vibrations to your dealer.

Break-in Steps

For the first hour, do not exceed 2000 RPM; vary RPM continuously.

For the second hour, do not exceed 3000 RPM; vary the RPM regularly.

For the next seven hours, do not exceed 4000 RPM; vary the RPM regularly.

After the first ten hours but before 20 hours of operation take your boat to the dealer for its first engine and transmission oil and filter change and engine checkup. Your Indmar dealer is best equipped to check the engine immediately after break-in

Been the same rec for 10+ years when Vdrives didn't dominate the market. I always laugh that with a vdrive, 2000 rpm is like the worst speed when it comes to loading the engine its not even on plane. IF the break in all about not overloading or working engine too hard, it would sure seem to me that maximizing stress going wakesurf speed not a great idea...but what do I know. PCM breka in is much different as I understand it. I think it also depends on the type of "pulling" someone you may do. I pull my kids on the kneeboard during break in. Theres about 10 pounds of pull on teh rope. There can't possibly be anything wrong w that IMO so long as RPMS are varying enough.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Been the same rec for 10+ years when Vdrives didn't dominate the market. I always laugh that with a vdrive, 2000 rpm is like the worst speed when it comes to loading the engine its not even on plane. IF the break in all about not overloading or working engine too hard, it would sure seem to me that maximizing stress going wakesurf speed not a great idea...but what do I know. PCM breka in is much different as I understand it. I think it also depends on the type of "pulling" someone you may do. I pull my kids on the kneeboard during break in. Theres about 10 pounds of pull on teh rope. There can't possibly be anything wrong w that IMO so long as RPMS are varying enough.

I would like to hear from Indmar why the PCM break-in is so different?

PMC is reccomending WOT cycles in the first five hours to set the rings:

• After the engine is thoroughly warmed up, and

the boat is underway, open the throttle to wide

open throttle until maximum RPM is reached. DO

NOT EXCEED MAXIMUM RPM. (RPM should

cease climbing after 10 to 20 seconds).

• Reduce the throttle to 2800 - 3000 RPM, and

cruise at or below this speed for 1/2 hour.

Reduce the speed to idle. Go to wide open

throttle until maximum RPM is reached and

operate for approximately 1 minute. Reduce

throttle to 2800-3000 RPM and operate for a few

minutes. (Bringing the engine speed from idle to

wide open throttle will load the engine and assist

in seating the piston rings). This cycle should be

repeated from time to time during the first 5 hours

of operation, but wide open throttle should not be

sustained for more than 1 minute.

I heard malibu goes wot and drives it like they stole it when checking the boat for leaks and performance issues before shipping out the boat? This counters everything Indmar preaches in there manual for break in.

Edited by Fman

So how the hell do dealers demo a new boat and follow the Indmar break in procedure? I know my dealer loads them up with full ballast and runs them pretty hard with less than 10 hours. I guess it's a great way for Indmar to deny a claim if something does happen within the first 10 hours.

The PCM procedure makes more sense to me and is how I have broken in many new auto and avaition engines. Either way, probably not much of a big deal. Just make sure to change the break in oil as mentioned and always let engine warm up before you put a load on it.

I heard malibu goes wot and drives it like they stole it when checking the boat for leaks and performance issues before shipping out the boat? This counters everything Indmar preaches in there manual for break in.

Indmar winds it up full-tilt before it even leaves their place!