Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

20' MXZ VS A20

VLX_Fixation

Just like other brand comparisons the choice for me was about how I was going to use the boat. I wanted a boat with an awesome wake (I like the Malibu wake), that handled good and I preferred a pickle fork. I use the crap out of my boats (people in and out, kids juice etc), so having plush interior was not a priority. If axis wasn't an option I would have went with a 23 lsv (at the time). But Axis was available and I was able to save a little cash and put that money into other things. Would I buy another, definitely. It would be tough decision for me to go with an MXZ.

Edited by elc
  • Like 1

I can appreciate the Axis line for what it started out as, but I feel that it is becoming a little too expensive. my .02

And 75-90k for a 22ft boat isn't expensive?

• Like 1

you get a lot more with the 90k that you're spending on that boat tho...as you prob already know by your profile pic you get what you pay for with the axis...i wouldn't spend $60k on an axis...my personal opinion...to each his own...

Just like other brand comparisons the choice for me was about how I was going to use the boat. I wanted a boat with an awesome wake (I like the Malibu wake), that handled good and I preferred a pickle fork. I use the crap out of my boats (people in and out, kids juice etc), so having plush interior was not a priority. If axis wasn't an option I would have went with a 23 lsv (at the time). But Axis was available and I was able to save a little cash and put that money into other things. Would I buy another, definitely. It would be tough decision for me to go with an MXZ.

i agree...but the 2010 sold at a much more reasonable price that made a lot more sense.

Yes, it is expensive. And for that price, I want a plush interior, cool gadgets, and a boat that performs. For me, the Axis did not meet ALL of those criteria. Everyone has their own criteria. To each their own, I wouldn't turn down a ride in either boat.

We all love (should love) the boat we have chosen.

• Like 1

you get a lot more with the 90k that you're spending on that boat tho...as you prob already know by your profile pic you get what you pay for with the axis...i wouldn't spend $60k on an axis...my personal opinion...to each his own...

I can't believe I am getting sucked into this... lol.

With the 20k I saved on my boat I was able to put that towards a down payment on a lake house. To me that's getting a lot more out of my money than plush interior and cool gadgets.

• Like 2

Yes, it is expensive. And for that price, I want a plush interior, cool gadgets, and a boat that performs. For me, the Axis did not meet ALL of those criteria. Everyone has their own criteria. To each their own, I wouldn't turn down a ride in either boat.

We all love (should love) the boat we have chosen.

Totally agree... everyone has their own criteria. That is why there is Malibu and there is Axis. Some want the plush interior and cool gadgets and some just want a boat that performs better than most other brands.

Don't get me wrong I love Malibu boats and if Axis wasn't around I would own one.

Edited by elc

I can't believe I am getting sucked into this... lol.

With the 20k I saved on my boat I was able to put that towards a down payment on a lake house. To me that's getting a lot more out of my money than plush interior and cool gadgets.

hey i'm not arguing...i bought a boat that was 4 years old cuz i can't afford a $90k boat and i like spending my money in other places as well, wakeboarding is a hobby and a passion...as is using my toy hauler and all my dirt toys too, i spend a lot more money on my trucks than i do on my boats. lol but i wanted a reliabe boat with a good wake so that's why i chose what i chose... just opened this topic to get everyone's opinions

The fact is a quick glance into an Axis interior will tell you everything you need to know. I did back to back comparisons at this years boat show between an MXZ and A22...my wife who isn't exactly boat savy was able to easily see how much cheaper the Axis interior looks and I wasn't pointing out anything. But that's the point - the Axis is the "budget" boat and money had to be saved somewhere.

ok I exaggerated a bit on the "double the price" comment...lol i apologize for that. but i do love this forum and everyone's opinions. seems like i am not the only one that has thought about this...still no response to the hull designs? even the 22' sparks my curiosity...

Compare the A22 hull to other malibus. It's essentially the same design. Hard to compare a20 with 20 mxz since no pictures but it would be a very safe assumption that you couldn't tell them apart from the running surface from the rear.

I can appreciate the Axis line for what it started out as, but I feel that it is becoming a little too expensive. my .02

supply and demand. Wait till you go see the factory (aren't you doing that soon?) and see how many Axises are getting built. Highly unlikely you'll see an axis mold not in use whereas other models will be idle. Plus Axis is getting the "same" Malibu engines this year save the supercharged.

The comparison is pretty simple, the MXZ is a much nicer boat that cost more, the Axis is a less expensive boat that is very basic. Both produce a nice wake, both function, but its not comparing apples to apples. IMO, a better comparison would be the MB line to Axis, they are more comparable in features and price.

Why pay even $60k? Got my 2010 A22 with 120 hours and every option for $41k. Go find me a 2010 Malibu that can put out my kind of wake for that price with those hours or less. It can't be done. That's a $60-65k boat. Thanks, but I'll keep that extra $20-25k in my pocket.

I pondered the idea of getting a brand new budget boat over my 2007 VLX. The biggest thing that stopped me from going there is depreciation. My friend bought a brand new 2007 moomba on a 10 year loan for about $40k. In 2011 he traded it in. I found his boat on craigslist by the dealer listed at $21,000. In 4 years from a retail standpoint he lost half the value of the boat. When he went to upgrade to his enzo he was drastically underwater on the moomba and had to bring a substantial amount of cash to the table to close his loan.

All those cost saving measures reduce the durability of the boat and really deteriorate the resale value of it. The malibu resale value is protected by the quality and durability of the construction, the history of the company, and the demand for the product. Budget lines dont offer the same protection. I know I will be able to sell my malibu for more than i owe when the time comes. i cant say the same about an Axis.

Overall I think it is much better for the industry to have a strong demand in the used boat market than provide budget lines for consumers. Budget boat could saturate the market and make it much more difficult to sell and upgrade our boats.

Talk about depreciation, a 2010 Axis for $41k... thats not a good sign if you own an Axis. I agree, the Malibu will always be in higher demand and hold there value better. When you mention Axis to someone, they either have never heard of the boat or budget boat sticks in there mind.

I think the main difference with axis vs your moomba example, is Malibu is still behind it. Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura. Axis/Malibu, the axis will get a lot more hype than a moomba. Marketing and name recognition go a long way. Honestly, If I wasn't in the position I am in, I would have gone axis. What's better than a brand new boat, warranty, and knowing Malibu is behind it. I've heard a lot more issues with our Malibu's over the axis. The more electronic bling, the more chance of failure.

Edited by wakebrdr94

As to axis durability it is built with the precise same methods as Malibu and in fact was malibus first two piece design. I frankly wonder if the opposite isn't true that in 5 years mtcs and power wedges are failing and people won't prefer a simpler boat. Comparing an axis to moomba isn't a correct analogy IMO. On an axis cost saving measures has nothing to do with construction quality. And by construction I mean fiberglass not vinyl.

This is true, it mooba/supra will never get the resale of a axis/malibu but it is still something to consider. I certainly wouldnt take a 15 year loan out on an axis.

Regardless I still dont like the idea of competing with a new budget boat line in the used boat market. More competition at that price point pushes demand down and brings down our resale value.

It really doesn't bring down our resale. It's like the person who buys a used BMW vs a new accord. The Malibu name will always be recognized as more "luxury". And that will sell itself.

Edited by wakebrdr94

As everyone has said: go look and get a ride and some actual prices in both boats before making your mind up. I don't own either boat but am always shopping. When I looked at the axis(2012) in the showroom I also felt cheap. Cheap in materials and in fit. It looked cheap. But hey it is supposed to be cheaper than a Malibu. Next time you go look at a axis walk along side of it and bang on the hull, listen, doesn't sound to solid to me. Also apply some pressure you will notice that you can press a Axis hull in almost a 1/2" in spots! Go try that with the other boats your comparing it will tell you a lot.

Lastly for anyone buying a Axis your taking a huge huge risk that this company will even be around in 5yrs. Just as easily as BU started it they could pull the plug if things aren't working out like they had planned. This economy is far from recovered...

You know, as most of us are Malibu owners, we should really not be bashing Axis. It is Malibu's "budget" boat. It's a good move on their part, why not capture the customer who wants a new boat in that price range. Also, we should want them to grow and be profitable across the board. If Axis were to fail, and malibu takes a 20 million dollar loss (just picking a nice round number), where do you think they are going to make back that revenue, by increasing the price of their boats.

Maybe the guy who bought the axis is smarter than me and saved 20k and bought a new tow veichal as well. Maybe he just couldn't fit a Malibu into their budget. Whatever the case may be, either way, all of us have Malibu backing our product. The a20 will still let you wakeboard, ski, whatever just as well as the 20mxz. You lose a little bling, but isn't time on the water really what it boils down to?

Nobody is arguing that Axis is not a functional boat. The op asked about the differences between the MXZ and A20. Truth is the Axis is a budget boat and costs less, it is what it is.... the MXZ cost more because the boat is much nicer in many ways. The issue here is people are arguing the Axis is at the same quality level as the MXZ and it is NOT. Why? Because you get what you pay for... and the Axis is a downgraded boat from the MXZ.

Either will get you on the water for a great day, some are willing to pay for an MXZ and others elect to spend less on the Axis... but saying the Axis is at the same quality level as the MXZ imo just is not true.

The newer Wakesetters, if kept and maintained well, with average 75hrs use a year, are only depreciating at about $3-5k a year.

And that's trade in.... Not retail. Retail pricewise they are loosing $2-4k a year.