Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

20' MXZ VS A20

VLX_Fixation

I want to know opinions and facts to deliberate between the two! I know we can go back and forth all day between the 22 and the A22 as well just wondering why would anyone would spend twice the price when you can get the same love with an Axis

Well, I had my mind made up that I was going to buy the Axis A22. However, when I went and looked at one I also looked at the MXZ. The Axis looked and felt cheap to me. The vinyl seemed and felt thin. The dash looked like cheap plastic. The quote I got on both of them wasn't as far apart as I was expecting. My wife and I both agreed that spending the extra money on the bu would be worth it! We are now looking at a SG VLX.

I agree with the above comments. same company, but totally different brands and goals. its like comparing a dodge to a Maserati.

They are both come from the same parents, but one is much more refined and thought out.

I have owned and drove more boats then I ever thought i would in the last couple years and i can tell you this right now if you are considering a Axis, you can get a Ride edition for basically the same or a couple grand more and you will be much happier. for me i look at the Vinyl and just cringe on the axis. not to mention the Dash, buttons, and general fit and finish.

Lastly, you cannot get surfgate on a Axis, so if you like to surf...

Sorry, no help on the hulls.

Edited by jeepdude2

One is more refined, but I don't necessarily agree on the thought out part. The Axis was Malibu's first design integrating a 2 piece construction as opposed to a three-piece. The MXZ uses that, other Malibu models haven't even gone to 2 piece. The boat feels VERY solid on the water. As a former Axis owner, I found it to be incredibly well-thought out, especially from behind the boat. 3500#'s "factory" hidden ballast? No boat on the MARKET can even touch that. Is it simpler, yes. But I found many of those things actually quite appealing. For one, the axray panels. they're open so stuff doesn't stay wet and get dingy. The hull makes incredible wakes and the tower is exceedingly well-designed and sturdy. As for the vinyl, its been beefed up this year and a new dash is being used using the same switches that Mastercraft uses on the Xstar. The tatami mat is ridiculously awesome. If the wife didn't make me consolidate into a VTX for slalom purposes, I'd be happy as a clam with that Axis. Bow room is fantastic. I absolutely loved it. I've been in many rides, and would prefer the axis every time when comparing. Seriously, a head unit mounted in the walkway?

so, back to OP question, what are you getting with a 20 MXZ as opposed to A20? Warranty, wakesetter emblems, G3, surfgate, malivue and MTC. IF what you care about is a functional boat with great wakes, A 20 fits the bill great IMO.

even though many people "cant" see the difference between the 2 models.. malibu released this boat along with the mxz 22 and 24, for the simple reason to compete against the competitor.. they will now have a size and model for everyones needs... just like Mastercraft, they have die hard fans who will only buy a mastercraft because of the name, or its what their family has always owned.. well now Malibu has those same customers who will only buy a Malibu no axis.. so for the people out there who want a 20' pickle fork Malibu... it is now an option!

Go sit in the Axis, it takes about 30 seconds to see why you pay less for them.... imo, they feel cheap and there are cost cutting issues all over the boat. If you can afford the wakesetter, hands down a much better boat.

No doubt its a much different boat and if you couldn't tell the difference between it and a Malibu, why would anyone buy a malibu? From a utilitarian standpoint of a wakeboat, Axis NAILED it. More ballast, simpler, more user-friendly helm, and an exceedingly functional interior with sliding seating and pop up seatbacks that Malibu doesn't even offer. If those are the things that a buyer is most concerned with (functionality and simplicity), and not having the ability to have 4 different gel-coat colors and 12 rider presets, Axis is a GREAT option. If its worth 30 grand to jump to a Malibu for touchscreens, curved seatbacks (one of th biggest cost-saving measures that Axis has) and thicker seating, a shopper should get a Malibu. Axis vinyl is now Malibu's "grain" vinyl so can't use that as a difference anymore.

You don't ever feel at a loss for options or luxury in the Axis UNLESS you just got out of a Malibu at your dealer's lot! IS it for everyone, of course not. But to OP, if you're looking for a way to save 30 grand, maybe more, on an MXZ, I would highly doubt you'd be disappointed in the performance of the A20.

I spent some time in an A20 last summer. I also own a VLX so I have a good feel for the difference (interior).

Everybody likes to reference the thin vinyl in the Axis, as if that's the primary difference. But it's more than that. Folks, when I first sat down in the boat, I had that "oh s***" feeling as my a** hit the seat... It completely bottomed out through the seat cushion and hit the hard surface underneath. I'm just an avg size guy (5'11" 180 lbs.).

So yeah, the vinyl is thin and feels like you can puncture it with your fingernail, but the seat cushions/support was the real issue for me.

As far as price, I'd rather spend $75k on a boat with a top notch interior than $60k on a boat with sub standard seats disguised by skeleton graphics and Wetsounds speakers. And if I couldn't afford $75k, I'd be looking at a 2010 Wakesetter for $60k (even used the Wakesetter interior smokes a new Axis interior).

I think there is more than just rider presets and ballast differences when comparing the Axis to the Wakesetter line. And is it really 30k difference between the two? I know in 2011 when I bought my VLX it was not near that high of a price difference between the two, more like $15k.... maybe times have changed in the last couple years between the two.

Beside the Maliview and ballast difference you noted (although I think the wakesetters come with plug and play now in 2013) there is the plastic vs. fiberglass throughout the boat, windshield quality/design, tower design, auto wedge, surfgate, MTC, rear transom seat, drivers seat quality/comfort/lumbar support, vinyl quality and cushion thickness, stereo speaker options in the boat, walk thru transom covers, finished dash, and of course the wakesetter bling. All I am saying is if price is not an issue, hands down the Wakesetter imo is such a nicer boat to be in. Not saying the Axis does not function, but in 5 years you might see a difference in wear and tear differences between the two. For myself, after spending some time in both of them, the $15k price difference at the time was a no brainer for me to purchase the VLX over the A22.

As IXFE has noted before, a boat is something you need to sit in and feel good about... the Axis made me feel like I was compromising so much build quality over the wakesetter line. I would have had major buyers regret buying the Axis over the Wakesetter.

Edited by Fman

When I was buying my boat I spent time on boat an A22 and the My VLX. I actually wanted the A22, but a 2013 A22. The 2013 and the 2012 are very different. Different helm, better vinyl, high flow ballast etc. With that said my dealer worked with me and got me a screaming deal on my VLX. If the money is close go with the Malibu, if there is a big difference in price and the bells and whistles do not impress you go with the Axis. They are both great boats and both will not leave you wanting.

The biggest deal breaker for me now would be surfgate. If you surf or plan to surf behind the boat the 20 MXZ with surfgate will more than likely far out preform the A20 without. I have surfed behind the A20 and its fair, but I imagine that the 20 MXZ will be very nice with surfgate.

If you're comparing a VLX to A22 diff might be 15, although that still sounds low. OP asking about A20 and MXZ 20. So, the cheapest boat made in Loudon, compared with Malibu's hottest brand new model. The price difference could easily be 30 with any options on the MXZ.

No kidding that "if price is not an issue, hands down the Wakesetter imo is such a nicer boat to be in"! Who has said otherwise? IT better be nicer, it's a 30% upcharge! Although vinyl now not one of the differences. Even WITH PNP Malibu ballast still substantially less than Axis' plug and play. I really don't follow you on plastic v. fiberglass "throughout the boat". Only plastic on an Axis is dash and glove box door. Axis has WAY better factory stereo options than Malibu. If you don't like the tower and windshield on the axis, then you don't like it. I don't know what a walkthru transom cover is. You're right, no MTC or surf gate on axis. Point is, is there a 30% difference in VALUE for a Malibu compared to an Axis? For many, yes, for many, no. As for wear and tear, the only material that's even different is the vinyl, and that's not even teh case any more. On top of that, all the Axis panels are super easy to remove and are square making a recover a cinch. I did not realize this, but one of the most labor intensive (read: expensive) parts of a Malibu is the curved upholstery design. Note that Correct craft even went with the Axis "squared off" design. After owning both, I can say unequivocally that the Axis provided just as much fun as any Malibu I've ever had. If someone got in both and decided that they were best served paying more for a Malibu, more power to them...I did :lol:

• Like 1

If you're comparing a VLX to A22 diff might be 15, although that still sounds low.

It's not. The difference between my VLX and an A22 with identical options was even less than that. Axis are great core wakeboard boats, but their prices have increased too much in recent years.

It's not. The difference between my VLX and an A22 with identical options was even less than that. Axis are great core wakeboard boats, but their prices have increased too much in recent years.

I don't doubt that. You got your boat pretty recently right? If you're a dealer would you rather sit on a Axis or Malibu over the winter? Way too many geographical demand variables to get nit-picky but the point is that an A20 could be dwarfed by close to 30k by a new 20 MXZ. There will only be so many 20's this year. Dealers will absolutely be commanding a premium for them. And I'm not suggesting all options being equal.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I don't doubt that. You got your boat pretty recently right? If you're a dealer would you rather sit on a Axis or Malibu over the winter? Way too many geographical demand variables to get nit-picky but the point is that an A20 could be dwarfed by close to 30k by a new 20 MXZ. There will only be so many 20's this year. Dealers will absolutely be commanding a premium for them. And I'm not suggesting all options being equal.

No, not recently. Both were custom orders from the factory with spring 2012 build slots. Sitting on year-end inventory had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I know you are grasping for reasons to justify why your $30k statement (requoted below) was right, but it just isn't. 3 different people who recently purchased new Malibu's have told you this now. Axis are great boats, but due to their rising prices the difference between an A22 and a comparable Malibu is nowhere near $30k as you stated.

If its worth 30 grand to jump to a Malibu for touchscreens, curved seatbacks (one of th biggest cost-saving measures that Axis has) and thicker seating, a shopper should get a Malibu.

I agree with the rising prices of the axis...kind of ridiculous. The A22 was so appealing to me because of the price. A brand new boat with a great wake with almost 3500 lbs of hidden ballast for under $50k. Sign me up. But in 2011 when they started raising prices it is defeating the purpose of the "working mans boat" is that an Axis Rep called it because you can get into it for a few hundred dollars a month without financing it for the same length as your mortgage...i was about an hour from signing papers on an A22 about a year and a half ago when they were trying to liquidate the 2010's but decided against it...decided I'd wait til next season but now theyre too over priced IMO. I've ridden behind the A22 and after riding with that crew in the axis i am happier with my 07 VLX than i believe i would have been with the axis...i wouldnt be able to take my dogs out on the axis without replacing the vinyl every winter...

And where does Axis state they are now using the same exact vinyl, stitching and foam density as the wakesetter series in 2013 models? And as for the plastic? Seriously, look around the boat, the seat kick panels, dash components, its cheap for a reason.

Here is a pic of the plastic example, they call it Axray kick panels. "You can see where you gear is stowed".... seriously, thats how Axis sells it. They are cheap plastic panels. The Skybox rear facing seating is a nice concept, but no backrest??? that looks really comfortable to sit rear facing and have nothing to lean back against. LOL, I am getting old because it looks like a low back ache to me.

axis_seat_basins.jpg

Edited by Fman

Brett, op said double the price and I threw out 30 grand diff yep and ill stand by that there are more than sufficient examples around the country for 45000 a20s and 75k vtxs or 50k a22s and 80k 23s. Everything is dictated by local market.

Fman, that's not plastic. Ax ray panel is metal. Secondly no one said they were gokng to Malibu quality interior. Said the vinyl is now upgraded thicker and mgrajn like Malibu

Interior gel color flooring etc is done the same way in axis as it is in Malibu. Hey whadya know, a bunch of people who prefer to have spent more for a Malibu on a Malibu site! As long as everyone is happy that's great. Op asked for opinions on the comparison. I've owned one. Figured it was worth speaking up.

Btw to op since there are no publicly available pictures and no reports on wakes any speculation or comparisons to a20 are tough. Given that Malibu will not be able to produce enough to keep up with demand (so long as the boat isn't hideous) given limitations on production which is limited by the number of molds and limited 2013 production time the 20 mxz will likely be a pricey boat. It's pretty obvious what to expect out of the interior of both. As you're seeing here, most people here would apparently go mxz. It would be a harder decision for me. Thats coming from someone with a 2013 malibu!

ok I exaggerated a bit on the "double the price" comment...lol i apologize for that. but i do love this forum and everyone's opinions. seems like i am not the only one that has thought about this...still no response to the hull designs? even the 22' sparks my curiosity...