Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ever wonder what happened to a boat you sold years ago?

EchelonMike

I keep up with the guy that bought my PS205, still see him out. Also answer troubleshooting questions from time to time on my SSLXi.

The boat I wonder about is my families first inboard boat, 85 MC S&S. Loved that boat, wish I still had it. It was our local colleges boat for ski team (NLU which is now ULM and usually ranked 1st or 2nd nationally). It was off white/tanish color with the burgundy stripe.

I'm sure if it came to Australia it will be enjoying a very good life!! I imported my Response from California two years ago, a private deal from one of the nicest guys you could meet. Wife and I spent 9 weeks in the States last year and we were able to drop in and see him. He'd even got a Chev cap for me in the same colours as the boat!! I still feel a little guilty buying the boat as I later found out he didn't really want to sell it, but circumstances dictated he had to.

Anyone wanting to come to Australia you've got a place to stay and a boat to ski behind here. Just make sure it's summer here (your winter).

I believe the boat went to Queensland. I'd love know they were still enjoying it. Not sure where your at, but this was the boat that is there now

2010-10-12_16-46-43_205.jpg

Never had a real attachment to my previous boat. 21' Ebbtide. Now that I have my Malibu, I am really attached to it for some reason. A tear came to my eye when I knew I had to put it up for the winter.

Slight hijack, I sometimes wonder where my 73 Firebird (first car) is resting or rusting.

My first boat was an early 70s model Glastron Tri-hull with an Evinrude which is probably in a barnyard somewhere with chickens living in it.

We had the same type of boat when I was growing up and I have the same feeling about it. It was the disco gold color. My dream is to someday fine one like it and do a full restore/rebuild on it. Probably won't be able to happen until the kids are much older though.

I believe the boat went to Queensland. I'd love know they were still enjoying it. Not sure where your at, but this was the boat that is there now

2010-10-12_16-46-43_205.jpg

We're in South Australia which is a fair way from Queensland. I know there are a few Crew members in Qld, hopefully one of them will come across it some time and let us know. It's a great looking boat (but aren't they all??) Edited by Timmo

We had the same type of boat when I was growing up and I have the same feeling about it. It was the disco gold color. My dream is to someday fine one like it and do a full restore/rebuild on it. Probably won't be able to happen until the kids are much older though.

Slight hijack, I sometimes wonder where my 73 Firebird (first car) is resting or rusting.

My first boat was an early 70s model Glastron Tri-hull with an Evinrude which is probably in a barnyard somewhere with chickens living in it.

+1 on the Glastron. My first boat. Mine was a 1974 V-156. Not sure why they named it V, it was a tri-hull, 15'6". 85 hp Johnson. When I set the engine up a couple of notches on the trim, that thing would top out at around 42-44 mph. I used to love launching it over big waves. I did a full restore on mine (floor, seats, cover, trailer, etc.). Sold it to a guy who bought it and married into a family with 4 little kids. He had nothing but trouble with it, and hated it. He trashed the lower unit, bought a used one from a junkyard, bolted it up and got rid of it. There's one just like it on my lake that just changed hands, hope they treat it well.

+1 on the Glastron. My first boat. Mine was a 1974 V-156. Not sure why they named it V, it was a tri-hull, 15'6". 85 hp Johnson. When I set the engine up a couple of notches on the trim, that thing would top out at around 42-44 mph. I used to love launching it over big waves. I did a full restore on mine (floor, seats, cover, trailer, etc.). Sold it to a guy who bought it and married into a family with 4 little kids. He had nothing but trouble with it, and hated it. He trashed the lower unit, bought a used one from a junkyard, bolted it up and got rid of it. There's one just like it on my lake that just changed hands, hope they treat it well.

oh, your taking me back, that thing would fly off cruiser wakes. I had forgotten about setting the trim, no power tilt for us. Pull engine up, move the bar. No gauges , none. We just ran it WFO for 20 years. Had two six gallon portable gas tanks. We even pulled a power chute with it, very hard to get launched, then you had to be real careful coming into the wind or the chute would lift the back out far enough for the prop to grab air

oh, your taking me back, that thing would fly off cruiser wakes. I had forgotten about setting the trim, no power tilt for us. Pull engine up, move the bar. No gauges , none. We just ran it WFO for 20 years. Had two six gallon portable gas tanks. We even pulled a power chute with it, very hard to get launched, then you had to be real careful coming into the wind or the chute would lift the back out far enough for the prop to grab air

Picturing a power chute on that thing...WOW!

No guages for me either, just cool little stars on the dash! And ditto the tanks. Did yours have a bilge? No bilge on mine. Before I did the restoration on it, it sat uncovered all summer moored to the pier. To drain it after a big rain I would get it on plane in the middle of the lake, then run to the back and pull the plug (nobody steering at this point - 20mph), stay on plane while it drained, and then quickly run back and put the plug in while on plane. With circus music in my head.

We had a 1975 Glastron GT150(same boat JB jumped the road in Live and Let Die) with a 90 Johnson. Went 55mph with it trimmed out. Slalom wake was as good as any DD and everyone loved to ski behind this boat. Bought a second Glastron, 1974 GT160 with a 115 merc because I liked these boats so much. Pic shows both boats. After 12 years sold both for a Searay OB, family boat, and I regret the move to this day. I'm not sure where either one is today.

c8b52ef106c48a7f235043472e98135abb81dad1.jpg?Expires=1351863910&Signature=XbcrVBf07xUEH4tt62QfKQmuRqvd5jBwJe6TrVjPGky8ev~GXELbDhA3d-b29xgTd4J0hf3FC2QRQSVNWQWZQKhDnGvzEiYvyAGd~4Mwd1huusfI2J~hEziWFHxQ1yg0gQmLGJyWF5-HG3EY3cvsv~5lQk8sncj2MZnLcdvbbjg_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAI6Q7XM4O2UGWCGGA

Edited by jweloc
  • Like 2

Picturing a power chute on that thing...WOW!

No guages for me either, just cool little stars on the dash! And ditto the tanks. Did yours have a bilge? No bilge on mine. Before I did the restoration on it, it sat uncovered all summer moored to the pier. To drain it after a big rain I would get it on plane in the middle of the lake, then run to the back and pull the plug (nobody steering at this point - 20mph), stay on plane while it drained, and then quickly run back and put the plug in while on plane. With circus music in my head.

No bilge pumps. I did try the plug at speed routine. Swamped it once in a storm, no damage. Thinking about all of that, it was the sherman tank of boats. Simple as a jon boat.

The Ski Antique I had I think was copied from Glastron's design, it was very similar proportions and a a great slalom wake, could have used a couple Gorilla fins though!

We had a 1975 Glastron GT150(same boat JB jumped the road in Live and Let Die) with a 90 Johnson. Went 55mph with it trimmed out. Slalom wake was as good as any DD and everyone loved to ski behind this boat. Bought a second Glastron, 1974 GT160 with a 115 merc because I liked these boats so much. Pic shows both boats. After 12 years sold both for a Searay OB, family boat, and I regret the move to this day. I'm not sure where either one is today.

c8b52ef106c48a7f235043472e98135abb81dad1.jpg?Expires=1351863910&Signature=XbcrVBf07xUEH4tt62QfKQmuRqvd5jBwJe6TrVjPGky8ev~GXELbDhA3d-b29xgTd4J0hf3FC2QRQSVNWQWZQKhDnGvzEiYvyAGd~4Mwd1huusfI2J~hEziWFHxQ1yg0gQmLGJyWF5-HG3EY3cvsv~5lQk8sncj2MZnLcdvbbjg_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAI6Q7XM4O2UGWCGGA

Same holds true with cars - love keeping up with where my old cars are (the ones that were interesting/cool/fun, not the POS ones). Like many have posted, I am fanatical about my stuff so it is neat to see someone like-minded who keeps my old stuff looking great!

One day it would be fun to find my first car and first boat, and modify/restore them. If you have not seen Jay Leno's show on his first car - a 1955 Buick - google it. He kept his first car, and after he made it big, he turned it into one amazing hot rod...neat story.

I'd give anything to find my first car love. I'm guessing it's rotted out or been trash compacted.

64 Ford, factory 427, 4 speed, faux leather, bucket seats, dual exhaust, nice interior lighting, dependable. Could lift the front tires.

Steve B.

I had a '87 Nautique 2001 and had it for sale for almost a year. I was out of state and couldn't sell it myself. I was asking about 8500 and a kid bought it from me, and got me down to about 6500. The dealer I had it at, on consignment, charged me 1000 for them to sell it for me (bastards)!!! The interior wasn't that good but the fiberglass and engine where great. Rode with the kid that bought it a few times and learned he had his friend drive the boat to the dock, tie it up, but the plug wasn't in it. Sank it, but it was only like 3 feet deep. So now for the last 3 falls I see it on Craigslist for something like $11,500. And everytime I see it I start to laugh my a** off. This kid did not do a single thing to it except put tower speakers on it and some better speakers. I love seeing stuff on craigslist that seems like people are charging more for stuff that it was when it was new.

Mike I'm sure you have seen it there. It's Orange and Cream with a black Joystick Tower on it. She was my first personal boat (family always had them). I was very excited to move up to my bu, but I will always love that little thing.

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for it out there. I usually see your boat as we pass by each other on 52 heading to/from Brookville! :-)

I had a guy from Arizona buy my 2002 Tige. Apparently, they do not require a title in Arizona for a boat. Come around 2008, I got a call from him wondering where the title was, and if I still had it. He had moved back to Utah, and couldn't find the title that he got when I sold it to him. 2 years ago, I saw it on a local classifieds for sale, but nothing since. My 2005 Tige went to a guy I see at a boatowners reunion every year. I put 300 hours on it, and he has only put about 120 hours on it in the 4 seasons since.

I had a 94 MC PS205 that I sold for $17500 to a guy on the lake I live on. I had done a lot to that boat to convert it from a slalom boat to a SkySki boat, ie; tower, stereo, 5 vent heater, ballast, storage, etc. I spent a lot of time & effort making it easy to winterize & showed the guy how to do it when he bought it. He commented that he was into commercial real estate & had a heated warehouse he was going to keep it in so he didn't think he'd ever winterize it.

I used to see the guy on the lake occasionally, usually pulling a toober in some random path blowing out the entire lake. I talked to the guy & saw the boat a couple years later & he had basically removed everything I'd done to the boat except the tower. The stereo was blown & he said he'd had to replace the engine. Apparently his heated warehouse lost power for some reason & he hadn't bothered to drain anything. He lost the engine with around 800 hrs on it & the custom 5 vent heater that Heatercraft made for me. He was too stupid to just replace the heater core so he yanked the whole thing & put a regular 2 vent heater in.... which means he had 3 phantom vents in the boat that didn't do anything.

A few months later I saw the douchebag had it listed on CL for like $19k.... guess he thought the new engine made it worth it. :Doh:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

This is kind of the reverse, but I found out who was the prior owner of my '89 Skier (which I bought through a used boat dealer). The boat was a little bit neglected but overall pretty good. I sent a nice note along mentioning that me and the (4) kids are having a great time with the boat and that we really appreciate it. I got a very nice response back saying that they were very glad the boat had gone to a good home and was getting lots of use.

• Like 2

Here's where my 1996 Sanger ended up, I would love for those people to let me know how it's doing, and then invite me to there lake house...LOL n1177805190_30245852_459942.jpg

Edited by Wakesetter67
  • Like 1

Sold my first boat to an aqiantance 1.5 years ago. Soon after he got it:

- Tire blew out on the freeway

- He was working on a minor carb issue (choke would stick a bit first time hitting the gas for the day). Reved it with the outdrive all the way up and broke the outdrive.

- His dad soon after backed into the trailer and outdrive with his truck.

Haven't heard anything more about it since. Dude almost wanted to blame me for the outdrive - not my fault he was doing stupid crap with it. He didn't say it but I got that feeling from his tone. Oh well, it's gone now and I haven't heard anything more in over a year. :)

FYI, I don't miss it, no attachment at all, it can rot for all I care. Our Malibu is 100x the boat that first boat ever was.

dsc02864qf.jpg

Edited by Nitrousbird

My first boat was a true classic 91 Sport Nautiques all original sold it at the end of the summer 2 years ago. By the next summer this is what it looked like his 12 and 14 year old loves it but I was a little sad.

2011-07-04164944.jpg

2012-02-03195100.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 95 echelon from a friend in 2004 and put a wedge and a Sampson tower on it then thought I needed a bigger boat so I bought a 2005 vride and sold the 95 to a friend. As things in life always change we sold our vride to another friend and went without a boat for about 3 years. Always looking and wondering what happened to the echelon I used to own which my friend also resold to someone else. It randomly came up for sale on Craigslist one Sunday and I had to go look at it and see if it was still in great shape. I have to say it looks Really Good in my garage again! Funny how things find their way home.

My first boat was a true classic 91 Sport Nautiques all original sold it at the end of the summer 2 years ago. By the next summer this is what it looked like his 12 and 14 year old loves it but I was a little sad.

2011-07-04164944.jpg

2012-02-03195100.jpg

Where was the beach scene pic taken? My first thought was Destin, FL but the bridge looks too far from the beach.