Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speedometer not working

SuperchargedC6

I recently purchased a 2005 vlx and the speedometer doesn't work. I called the guy I bought it from and he said all I have to do is plug in the little rubber piece. Anyone know what he is talking about? I got under the dash and everything looks to be plugged in. Any ideas?

I would think your boat is too new for this but, I think what he's talking about is two rubber hoses that attach to the white nipples on the thing in this picture.

"The thing" is your medallion or MDC control unit. It's tucked up under the dash like, behind the gauges. It drives all the gauges. The two rubber lines are coming from your pitots (if you actually have them)

Some people disconnect these lines as part of winterization but, if you ran the boat with the hoses un-plugged, you should have been getting water leaking out of them and onto the floor or, your feet. Plus, before you go and reconnect them, you really want to make sure all the water is out of them.

Good luck.

Hmm...I don't recall any water on my feet, unless they fell behind the sub. I'll run up to the storage unit this evening and look for that. Thanks for the reply!

More than likely your paddle wheel has been damaged. Look under the boat and find the paddle wheel and see if it spins freely. There are some plastic tabs on either side of it that sometimes get smashed into the wheel (usuall form the bunk on the trailer) and interfere with the spinning of the wheel.

Also verify that all the lobes are on the wheel. I thnik I remember it being 4 lobes. After verifying / correcting the jam ( if it is jammed) you can have someone spins the wheel while another person watches the speedometer with the key in the on (engine not running) position.

More than likely your paddle wheel has been damaged. Look under the boat and find the paddle wheel and see if it spins freely. There are some plastic tabs on either side of it that sometimes get smashed into the wheel (usuall form the bunk on the trailer) and interfere with the spinning of the wheel.

Also verify that all the lobes are on the wheel. I thnik I remember it being 4 lobes. After verifying / correcting the jam ( if it is jammed) you can have someone spins the wheel while another person watches the speedometer with the key in the on (engine not running) position.

Yes there are 4 lobes, most likely it is jammed, my Response LXI has this problem all the time and its usually a simple fix
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am about to replace my MDC. Do the rubber hoses have to be connected?

if you're still running the pitot speedometers, then yes the rubber hoses are still to be used, but if you're switching over to GPS speed, you don't need to connect them and you can unplug them and close off the ends so water can't leak through them into your boat, or god forbid into your MDC.

I have a somewhat related question. My speedometer is reading but is not at all accurate. I am wondering if anyone knows what kind of speedometer a 2004 Malibu Sunscape has if it is a paddle wheel or the pitot type? If so where would I look for these (bow or under the engine etc.).

Also I was wondering if anyone has any experience installing the perfect pass system and if it easy enough to do on your own?

Thank you!

My 2003 is paddle wheel. Have you tried adjusting the speedo? Mine was off by about 4 mph last year. Adjusted it using a phone app for speed.

I just installed PP Saturday. Pretty easy. 2 hours taking my time. Hooking up the servo is easy. Running the wire, mounting the module and figuring out the wiring took the most time. Mine was prewired for it and made it way easier. PP website has a lot of good documents to help.