Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gauges move when any switches on 99 Response LX are activated

99maliburlx

Mainly when heater is turned on or stereo, etc...

Any ideas what would cause it?

I've already cleaned contacts on all switches and gauges and added electrical grease. Appreciate your help, it's annoying...

take a look at the ground buss(es); probably one, maybe two.

mine is on the starboard side of the hull just forward of the helm.

wag: 6" length of brass w about 8 places to secure ground wires.

make sure all are clean and tight and insure the ground wires at the engine are clean and tight.

They found that back then (late 90's) some of the instrument and switch grounds were all jumped together before continuing to the bus bar. Find the connections and remove the splices - install separate home run grounds to the bus bar.

Large draw items like the heater will cause the most effect on the gauges back then if you didn't change the grounds.

Peter

What's this bus bar look like/does anyone have a picture?

They found that back then (late 90's) some of the instrument and switch grounds were all jumped together before continuing to the bus bar. Find the connections and remove the splices - install separate home run grounds to the bus bar.

Large draw items like the heater will cause the most effect on the gauges back then if you didn't change the grounds.

Peter

Years back I had a 72 Chevy pickup truck that did the same thing. Hit the brakes I would get blinkers, put it in reverse that I would get headlights, ect. It turned out to be a whole bunch of wires had rusted and fused together over the years and grounded themselves to the frame.

Not saying you have the same issue but if you can't find a terminal fault somewhere you may have to run every wire.