Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

21 or 23 with surf gate, that is the question?

Ottomatic

I have a 2011 23 lsv and I am currently trying to sell it but I am heading into the dealer next week to order my boat, I love the 23 but our crew is rather small and I am not sure I need the 23 this time around!! My question is will I sacrifice surf wake by going to the 21, all we do is surf so I don't want to give up my 23 for surf gate if I loose length or wave height?? Anything else to consider let me know??

I dont mean to crash your forum because i dont have anything to really contribute to the posting. But I love the 21' we have a crew of 8-10 every week and its plenty of room. Hope you get your answers youre looking for.

• Like 1

From what I am hearing from my dealer he has had a much easier time dialing in the LSV wave than the VLX. There are some good looking vids of VLX waves though. I have a '12 VLX right now but am looking to trade up for a SG boat.

I've ridden a dialed LSV wave with Surf Gate now and I am definitely hooked!

• Like 1

I think, just my opinion, the bigger boat will usually give you the better surf wake, at least right out of the box. My buddy has an lsv vs my vlx, and it is night and day. If surfing is your main hobby, get the 23

I agree with you that before SG, the bigger was better. I think that SG has leveled the playing field on that issue. The best waves I have seen online are from a VLX! My dealer just got their first SG boat last week so I need to go give it a drive before it gets too cold!

My dealer (AWS) has done A LOT of testing on Surf Gate boats. I think they have > 50hrs. on a 23 LSV. They have less time on the VLX, but I know they've had it out 3-4 times (one of those time was with me).

From what I can tell, the LSV is king. Just watch this video and you decide. But general consensus is that the VLX lacks the push of the LSV and has been harder to get dialed in.

http://vimeo.com/52023883

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 1

My 2011 VLX without surfgate thru a great wave with stock ballest a 250 bag and a few people so with surfgate I have heard its mint. The 22 MXZ with surfgate with stock weight I saw was awesome and the 24 LSV with surfgate and stock ballest sucked with a boat load of people the bigger the boat more weight to sink. Trust the VLX....

Not sure if the video will work, but this is stock ballast, 400 plug and play, 400 in the rear, wedge to clicks up from all the way down. 2013 vlx. Yes, I am saying everything I have read, the vlx needs more weight. It definitely needs weight in the bow

http://www.facebook....490935760924579

Edited by wakebrdr94

I think there's A LOT to figure out before anybody claims one boat is better than another with Surf Gate. There are just too many variables, and nobody has figured out the right recipes for each boat.

I wonder if Malibu has done enough testing/experimenting to know the ideal setups for each boat. If so, it would be cool if they could publish that stuff (at least to the dealers). Otherwise, we'll all be left to find them for ourselves via trial and error.

I'm a little surprised that the Surf Gate tabs are the exact same size on all the boats... Given the different sizes and characteristics of each hull, I have a hard time believing this "one-size-fits-all" solution is ideal. But I'm no engineer, so what do I know??

As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on Surf Gate. It's a great innovation, but it's still in it's infancy.

Edited by IXFE

I think there's A LOT to figure out before anybody claims one boat is better than another with Surf Gate. There are just too many variables, and nobody has figured out the right recipes for each boat.

I wonder if Malibu has done enough testing/experimenting to know the ideal setups for each boat. If so, it would be cool if they could publish that stuff (at least to the dealers). Otherwise, we'll all be left to find them for ourselves via trial and error.

I'm a little surprised that the Surf Gate tabs are the exact same size on all the boats... Given the different sizes and characteristics of each hull, I have a hard time believing this "one-size-fits-all" solution is ideal. But I'm no engineer, so what do I know??

As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on Surf Gate. It's a great innovation, but it's still in it's infancy.

I agree. There are a ton of variables that need to be tried. All I really know about it is that S.G. doesn't automatically mean good wave. Ballast and set up are still important.