Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Comparing Malibu, Nautique and Mastercraft

elkfever

Thanks to everyone for the replies. All I have been doing for the last few months is research on boats, just trying to make sure I know as much as possible. I have looked at many boats, but the supply is somewhat limited at this time of year. Nearly all of the the SSLXI's I have looked at have a lot of hours, numerous owners or have been used in saltwater. Makes it easy to say no to those options. The unknown is, how many SSLXI's will be for sale near me in the spring? I have a good friend who ski's competitively and nearly everyday behind a MC x7 / 197. He has skiied behind all the big dogs and keeps telling me that a 197 will do everything but is a little smaller than the RLXI and SSLXI.

How well do the RLXI and SSLXI handle rougher water?

Someone on here stated that the Bu's use less gas than MC and CC. Is there any proof to that statement? Link?

ski wake is more important now since that will be 80% of the usage. The kids are little and will be skiing somewhere between 15-20 mph. How are the wakes on the mentioned boats at those speeds?

Thanks for the help crew!

Just putting my two cents in as a kid whose dad was a response owner ('96) so a little older then your looking for, but I feel your kids will fall in love with wakeboarding (like i did) and want to start doing stuff (jumps, tricks, etc.) the ability of a malibu to put the wedge on a tournament ski boat was awesome. It was able to take the boat from solely a ski boat, to a teaching wakeboard boat. My parents got the wedge installed when I was probably about 11, and I cleared the wake when I was 12. The other boats from what I know don't have anything like that unless you deal with the hassle of ballasts in a small ski boat. With that being said, I love skiing and wakeboarding, but the wedge does definitely put my favor in malibu's favor.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. All I have been doing for the last few months is research on boats, just trying to make sure I know as much as possible. I have looked at many boats, but the supply is somewhat limited at this time of year. Nearly all of the the SSLXI's I have looked at have a lot of hours, numerous owners or have been used in saltwater. Makes it easy to say no to those options. The unknown is, how many SSLXI's will be for sale near me in the spring? I have a good friend who ski's competitively and nearly everyday behind a MC x7 / 197. He has skiied behind all the big dogs and keeps telling me that a 197 will do everything but is a little smaller than the RLXI and SSLXI.

How well do the RLXI and SSLXI handle rougher water?

Someone on here stated that the Bu's use less gas than MC and CC. Is there any proof to that statement? Link?

ski wake is more important now since that will be 80% of the usage. The kids are little and will be skiing somewhere between 15-20 mph. How are the wakes on the mentioned boats at those speeds?

Thanks for the help crew!

First- as an RTXi owner, admit my bias; I have a friend who owns a prostar 190 and loves it. Swears by MC. He has skied behind my TXi and was very complementary of the wake. If that helps for a comparison...

That said, I have had the TXi on some rough water, no noticeable difference between that and my Dad's Glastron I/O. Wake has been great for younger kids and experienced slalom skiers.

As for the gas question... I can tell you that for a day on the lake, beach time included, I have not burned through more than 1/3 tank of gas- ever. Normally about 1/4 tank or less. Tank size is 40 gallons. That includes skiing, W/B, and Mali-tubing with adults and kids. Probably 4 hours of engine time. All other boat owners have been impressed with fuel efficiency. I have a monsoon 350. I too have heard that MC, CC, and Nautiques use noticeably more fuel than Malibus.

I am in Colorado Springs. Would be happy to meet up and take you and the family for a day on the lake next spting if you're close.

Buckeye - Thanks for the offer, but we are located in MIchigan. Unless we head out for a trip, a weekend adventure is out. I have heard numerous good things about the responses. After doing some comparisons, it looks like the SSlxi and RLXI are nearly the same in size except for a 100 lbs in weight and 14 inches in length. Is there more that I am missing? I have also heard that the 07-08 responses are not the best hulls??? Should I stay in the 03-06 and 09-13 years for responses? What is the difference in hulls between an 06 and a 13?

The 07 till the TXI are not as good for footing but the ski wake is just fine. I must say I ski at 36 MPH 98% of the time 34 MPH is fine also but I have not skied my boat at less then 34 MPH.

I ski pre 07 also and just don't see any difference We also ski at 15 off or more. I am basing my opinion from 35 off. I also ski two SSLXI a 99 and 03 the extra size is noticeable for a large groups. The boats ski very very good I just don't see any noticeable difference with the RLXI's as said I am comparing the same speeds and rope lengths. I also ski a CC 196, also a outstanding ski boat. I do not ski any MC daily but have skied many and would not bad mouth them but would say I find the wakes a little crisper but good.

The thing I do not like about the RLXI is if you ski without a spotter You will see weight sensitive list and a wake change. So If we ski without a spotter on my RLXI I put a little weight on the passenger side. If you start getting very picky you can play with some bow weight also.