Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Single or dual

kennyo

Single for the boat size is fine, if you trailer a lot maybe dual. But I have had a blowout and it's not as drastic as it sounds as long as you have a spare and a jack no worries. But you can still trailer to your destination with only 3 tires and deal with flat when you get to your destination. It is easier to back up a single axle trailer tho, with a dual the tires fight each other. It depends on your driveway (ease of backing into it) and how much and how far you will trailer

One thing about dual axles is they don't transfer the bounce as much to the tow vehicle. Single axles will pivot right on the axle whereas the dual can't pivot as easily. I noticed that on my last boat when I went from a single to dual when I switched boats. But the ability to spin that trailer backing into the driveway was lost.

• Like 1

I would have to agree, the trailer bouncing can be a problem with my trailer, and I can see it stopping quite a bit sooner as well.

Specially on some of them super highways back in CA!! Potholes the size of VWs. That is why I always strap the read end down. CA is on its way to becoming a third world country!!

I have a tandem axle trailer (Extreme tandem axle with torsion axles) and have found I can drop the tongue all the way down to almost the concrete floor, and manuever the trailer around in the garage pretty easily, while I could not do that with a tandem axle trailer with leaf springs. But again there are some issues with the torsion axles, I have heard on this site anyway. No problems with mine so far!!

I lost a bearing this summer on my tandem axle trailer. I was able to remove the tire, strap up the axle using a motorcycle strap & drive home on 3 wheels. I'm not sure I'd want to do that very far, but it was nice to not have to leave the boat on the freeway & get it home to deal with the problem on my own time.

I'm pretty sure it would have been a mess on single axle trailer.

Been there, done that. 3x as a matter of fact, it is a mess.

The dual axle trailers have some clear advantages - less wear/strain on the tires, less bounce, stop better, track better, etc. They're a little heavier (which can be relevant on a steep launch) and can be more difficult to turn in a tight situation however. Personally, I have to have a single axle trailer as I do some maneuvering by hand to get my boat/trailer inside my garage (has to go in bow first) so a dually is out for me unfortunately.

The old 'Bu's typically weighed in around 2,500lbs (plus trailer weight), so a single axle trailer is do-able. The newer 'Bu's are more like 3,500lbs so a single axle trailer is really straining hard with that weight.

Edited by CliffB