Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Single or dual

kennyo

Starting to look at the new response. I do trailer the boat as I don't live on a lake. Does the response really need a dual axle trailer or is single good enough for a smaller boat? I would add a spare either way.

Thanks

Ken

For me it's all about piece of mind. I had a single one time and would never do it again. Say if I'm on a long trip and the tire blows at 70 mph. One the whole trip I will be thinking just that and two what if it does happen boat may shift, rem may bend, I don't know anything just not a good day. But dual just pull over and change tire. Keep in mind you have only half as much weight on each tire the odds go way down. Resale the first thing I look at is the trailer if its not a dual I just go to the next one. (Too many fish in the sea) No matter how nice the boat is I need that piece of mind. Just my 2 cents

I have had several blow outs and I have a dual axle and glad I did. I had two blow outs in one trip, on my way to go get a new spare. Had to use tie downs to get the axle as far up as possible to get there. Piece of mind, get the dual axle. What's an extra $200 bucks when replacing tires to know that your expensive

Boat is safe?

I have a single and have had two major blow outs on the interstate with no major damage other than that of the tire problem. I do use transome straps that keep the boat from shifting. I would prefer a tandom for the above listed reasons but for me it would not be a deal breaker to get a single.

I have a 2012 Response and a single. Have been involved with boat towing for over 20 years, all on single with no significant damage from a blow out. The Response tows amazingly on the single. Easily one if the best towing experiences I have had. Good maintenance and a solid check of tires, axels and trailer at every stop help identify an issue before the dreaded blow out.

I have had both single and duals. I will always have duals from here on. Safety, peace of mind, a blow out with a single, had more than one of those..... I could go on. Also, make sure you have a spare mounted on the trailer as well. It will save a few weekends.

Try finding a tire store open on a Sunday, 50 miles from town...... You could be saving your afternoon or your vacation....

Go dual axle, 4 wheel disc brakes, for $1k its a no brainer. Nobody wants a single axle trailer, the dual will tow better and also offer better safety features as mentioned above. The dual will also help with your resale someday when you sell the boat.

Edited by Fman

for a response a single is fine

when it gets time to replace the tires step up to a tire with a higher load rating in pounds as listed on the sidewall

for those with 14 inch wheels the highest rated tire is a kumho 857 with a rating of 2271 pounds at 65 psi .

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857

i tow a travel trailer and 4 different boats . the response is a single axle with 14 inchers.

the wakeboard boats all need dual axles .

the single axle trailer is easier to manuever in the garage by hand.

can't do that with a tandem.

on my own boat i raised the single axle trailer fender , went up one wheel size , got tires that improved my weight rating by about 50 % . I no longer need a spare . i take a long trip each year and often tow at night both directions to the Sacramento Delta . no worries .

• Like 1

if ordering, like you are, go with dual axles...but you never said how much towing per year, is it on a lift all year, or lots of towing to get to the lake.?? that I would think would factor into the decision. and 1K for torsion or leaf spring axles?? and brakes on 1 axle or both? Responses aren't that heavy, a single axle and good tires would serve you fine..if going with the single, make sure you have a spare.

There are a few posts about folks having major problems with their torsion axles.. I have the torsions on my extreme trailer, but the boat is on the lift 9 months a year and it is 2-3 miles from the garage to the lake. So for 9 months, there is minimal load on the trailer, tires, etc.. I have towed it more taking it to the dealer for warranty work, than I'll ever do going to and from the lake.

Edited by [email protected]

Speaking from lots of experience hauling trailers, dual axel trailers are much more difficult to manuver than single axel trailers. If you need the second axel then get it, otherwise stay well away. The extra axel makes your turning radius significantly smaller.

• Like 3

The only thing I want to add a bump on is the braking. I have a dual axle. Old, but it's amazing hwo well the braking system works. So, it's got 4 brakes to ease that weight down.

Knock on wood, mine works silly good. I tap the car brakes, and the trailer brakes kick in so nicely.

You did sell the SS right? It looked gorgeous. Best of luck on your Response !

Steve B.

• Like 1

In my situation, I would only look at single axles. My garage is too small to fit the boat in without taking it off the truck and angling it in by hand, which I would never be able to maneuver with a dual axle. I use a pretty small truck to pull the boat and have never had any issues of the trailer wanting to wander on the highway, and have yet to need a spare tire on anything in my life (knock on wood).

Speaking from lots of experience hauling trailers, dual axel trailers are much more difficult to manuver than single axel trailers. If you need the second axel then get it, otherwise stay well away. The extra axel makes your turning radius significantly smaller.

Plus, with a dual axel, when you make tight turns your front tire will not roll but rather scrape along the ground which is not the best for treads...

Plus, with a dual axel, when you make tight turns your front tire will not roll but rather scrape along the ground which is not the best for treads...

DO you mean having a tandem axle, your turning radius is larger, unless you want scrub off the tread on your tires?

Yes I am speaking of the tandem axel, or whichever the one is that has one tire in front of the other, not sure that I have ever seen a trailer with a dually axel...

• Like 1

You did sell the SS right? It looked gorgeous. Best of luck on your Response !

Steve B.

Yes, sold the Sunsetter. Now researching what I want on the TXI.

My next question is tower or no tower?

I lost a bearing this summer on my tandem axle trailer. I was able to remove the tire, strap up the axle using a motorcycle strap & drive home on 3 wheels. I'm not sure I'd want to do that very far, but it was nice to not have to leave the boat on the freeway & get it home to deal with the problem on my own time.

I'm pretty sure it would have been a mess on single axle trailer.

I lost a bearing this summer on my tandem axle trailer. I was able to remove the tire, strap up the axle using a motorcycle strap & drive home on 3 wheels. I'm not sure I'd want to do that very far, but it was nice to not have to leave the boat on the freeway & get it home to deal with the problem on my own time.

I'm pretty sure it would have been a mess on single axle trailer.

having a tandem axle is just like having insurance...just like on your house, car, you, etc.

If you are going to go with the single axle, make sure you have a spare that you take along...just incase.

I would agree that its nice to have the second axel for insurance, I just went to put air in the spare on my trailer and the valve stem is junk. Good thing I found that out now and not on the road!