Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mxz struggling to get out of hole

Jade1989

I really dont understand this eitherr, we used to surf and wakeboard Redfish lake at 6600` with our 2007 Supreme and had 2500 lbs of ballast, 10 adults and a 340 Black Scorpion and a high altitude prop and had no problems whatsoever with unholing ourselves. The MXZ beats this boat out of the hole and we run more weight and more people at 6600 with a 350 so ya'll are doing something wrong.

Maybe our ideas of hole shots are different. The MXZ is too big to run heavy with a 350, at 5280 you're under 300HP, and at 6600 you're down to about 280hp. Props help, but not enough that you're going to run 6600 pounds in an MXZ and expect to ever plane out at either of those elevations. If I was to order any boat above the VLX at this alt I'd go with a 450 and make sure I run at least 60% of my rear weight in the bow. It's sad you get so much bow room, but malibu doesn't make it where you can add real weight up there under the seat. That would help a ton

So one thing to remember is to compare apples to apples. I see a lot of people getting into the MXZ from much smaller Malibus or other brands which are made with a much lighter dry weight due to less material usage.... Just for example: an 07 VTX weighs 3300lbs dry weight. Which is 82.5% of the 4000lb dry weight of the MXZ. If you increase horsepower from 350 to 410 you are at an 85 % power ratio on the VTX. If you add in the fact that the MXZ has more fuel and most likely more gear, passengers, and other items in it, I would bet that those ratios become quite a bit further apart. Finally the increased hull size which is 3'longer and 4"wider, and rides deeper in the water, you're going to take a big hit on parasitic drag as you try to accelerate the bigger boat out of the hole. All these factors combined are going to account for wanting a much bigger engine in a bigger boat, and propping it according to your weight usage. The MXZ does like a lot of bow weight. I agree that you have to be creative to get weight up there and still use the bow. Stashing some lead, and a large sack in the aisle way are very helpful. Most of the people I know who are having trouble getting the MXZ on plane have full ballast, extra sacks in the rear bays, several people in the main cabin, and nothing extra in the bow. Weighted like that, neither an LSV, MXZ, or 247 are going to get out of the hole with ease.....

We run rear tanks plus plug n play ballast (500 per locker) bow tank full, with an anchor and a few other misc items and two adults up front and it planes out with a 350 just fine. I timed it at 9 to 11 seconds to drop the bow.

Edited by saidainc

so you're running 1500lbs in the rear and only 350 in the bow? I have a hard time believeing you're planning that fast with that dispropotionate weight setup. You should be running closer to 900lbs in the bow. I don't generally run at sea level so it's possible, but I do know 100% that you wouldn't plane here with that with a 350 and 1235 setup like that.

From what I saw the MXZ is very bow hungry, which I don't mind, hell that's all we use our bow for anyways. Just wish they made the bow a little more upgradeable like other brands have with the picklefork. We run 750's in the lockers in the boats we use and it'd be great to get 1000lbs under the seats in the bow. We've done a ton of weight dialing in on both the LSV and VTX, and all malibus are bow hungry. I was just surprised at how much easier it was to plane an LSV than an MXZ when we demoed. That may be due to the extra length and the center tank being slightly more forward on the fulcrum

so you're running 1500lbs in the rear and only 350 in the bow? I have a hard time believeing you're planning that fast with that dispropotionate weight setup. You should be running closer to 900lbs in the bow. I don't generally run at sea level so it's possible, but I do know 100% that you wouldn't plane here with that with a 350 and 1235 setup like that.

From what I saw the MXZ is very bow hungry, which I don't mind, hell that's all we use our bow for anyways. Just wish they made the bow a little more upgradeable like other brands have with the picklefork. We run 750's in the lockers in the boats we use and it'd be great to get 1000lbs under the seats in the bow. We've done a ton of weight dialing in on both the LSV and VTX, and all malibus are bow hungry. I was just surprised at how much easier it was to plane an LSV than an MXZ when we demoed. That may be due to the extra length and the center tank being slightly more forward on the fulcrum

Were not at sea level were in Boise at 2700 ft. elevation. We timed it on Sept. 30th with the weight you just mentioned, 2 adults plus 350 in the bow. I had 11 seconds first run and 10 second the second run. We are running an MXZ with a 350 and a high altitude prop.