Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon 350 oil filter

Ifinallygota21v

I just did my oil change and used a fram ph30 oil filter and noticed it was about an inch longer than to pennzoil one I took off. It fit fine but I want to make sure it will work

It will work, but on your next change you might want to try the NAPA Gold 1069. In testing is was rated better than the PZ3, PH30 and the PF454 filters. More expensive, but filters better in tests.

:plus1: there was a thread on here a while and it pointed out that Fram is garbage, I no longer use their products in anything.

• Like 3

I would pull that Fram off right away. They are garbage. When I bought a 94 Mustang GTa few years ago (cheap DD, slow) I got it off my buddy who had been using a Fram the past couple of oil changes and thought it had a low oil pressure issue. Swapped that POS Fram filter out and the oil pressure was great. J-U-N-K. I won't even buy their other filters (air, cabin, etc.) just because of how bad their oil filters are.

• Like 1

Take a look at that oil filter study I posted, as the FRAM extended guard was one of the better filters. I was the cheaper FRAM that were a POS.

Cant ever go wrong with WIX though, and there is almost always a NAPA close by...although the WIXs scores were c and c+ for the important columns. WHile the extra gurad was A and A- I think.

Take a look at that oil filter study I posted, as the FRAM extended guard was one of the better filters. I was the cheaper FRAM that were a POS.

Cant ever go wrong with WIX though, and there is almost always a NAPA close by...although the WIXs scores were c and c+ for the important columns. WHile the extra gurad was A and A- I think.

I have the extra guard Fram. So I going to relax for now.

• Like 1

Can you shoot me the link to that thread, I tried going thru your content and didn't notice it. I remember it I think from a couple weeks ago.

Can you shoot me the link to that thread, I tried going thru your content and didn't notice it. I remember it I think from a couple weeks ago.

Oil filter Gradesheet P/N Make Model 30um Filtering (wt 5) Overall Build Quality (wt 5) Media Surface Area (wt 1) Media Volume (wt 1) Price Paid (USD) (wt1.5) Final Grade PF1218 ACDelco n/a F F B A- B- 0.8 EaO24 Amsoil n/a A A- D+ D F 3.02 B1428 Baldwin n/a D B- B- A- D+ 1.99 3510 Bosch n/a C B- A- B- C 2.44 B4361 Carquest n/a D C+ C+ C A 1.99 LF3679 Fleetguard n/a C D+ D+ D+ B 1.75 DL5 Fram Defense C C- C- C- A 2.07 DG5 Fram Double Guard C+ C- C- C- D 1.84 HM5 Fram High Mileage B- D D C- C 1.53 PH5 Fram Extraguard D+ D C- C+ B 2 TG5 Fram Toughguard C- C C+ B- C- 1.93 HP4 Fram Racing C- C+ A B- D 2.09 XG5 Fram Xtended Guard A- A C A C- 3.49 OPH1218 Full n/a D C+ A C C 1.89 HP-3002 K&N n/a B A- B+ A F 3.02 PH1218 Luberfiner n/a C- C+ C C B- 2.08 ML1011 Mann n/a B- C- A B C 2.37 MGL9100 Microgard n/a B- D D D+ B- 1.84 M1-302 Mobil 1 n/a B A A- A D 3.27 FL12A Motorcraft n/a D+ C- B C+ D+ 1.65 21060 Napa Proselect C+ B+ B- C A 2.87 1060 Napa Gold C+ A- B- C+ C 2.81 PG4631 Premium guard n/a D+ B+ C D A- 2.34 PPL34631 Proline n/a D C- F D A- 1.49 PO4011 Pronto n/a C+ C N/A N/A A 2.04 L34631 Purolator Classic B B- C+ D+ B+ 2.74 PL34631 Purolator Pure-one C- B+ A- B+ C+ 2.63 30-1218 Royal Purple n/a A A C- F F 3.09 S17 Shell n/a F F F F A 0.44 S5 STP n/a F F B B B+ 0.81 51060 Wix n/a C A- B+ B+ C 2.82 Grades based off general A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, F scale A being the highest grade and F being the lowest. Better filteration earns a higher grade, better construction earns a higher grade lower prices earn a higher grade, higher surface area and volume earns a higher grade. Final grade is calculated the same as a GPA based on the 4 point system The higher the final grade, generally means a better overall filter. Catagories are weighted by importance, calculated weights are listed in column heading Filteration and build quality are somewhat objective so you can make your own judgments

Picked me up 2 1069's Friday. Used one last night during wintering the boat. Think I had the Frame PH30?, I will say it did not come off easy. The filter tool that attaches to a socket just kept slipping around the black rough grip on the bottom, so had to use the screwdriver straight thru the filter method.

I just bought the Mobil 1 version, I think it is a 1-111.

Yup, that's the shorty version. The M1-302, like I used, is the longer version. I have just enough room for the 302, so that's why I went with that one.

• 5 months later...

I used a standard Fram in my 1989 Sunsetter for 23 years. Never had any engine problems. When I went to do a valve job because of all the carbon on the back side of the intake valves, the cylinder ridge was almost non-existent, a great testimony to the oil (mercruiser 25W-40, not synthetic) and the oil filter. The compression was 150 PSI on all cylinders, after the valve job.

This is the one at the bottom a lot of good info and good links to look at. Not saying Jkendallmsce info is wrong but Mobil 1 and K&N have the exact same insides so how do they rate different. Link that proves what I'm saying and very good info.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40608-official-malibu-dealer-service-dept-not-using-correct-oil/page-2?hl=filter

http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/

Little more good info

http://www.popularmechanics.com/_mobile/cars/how-to/products/1266801

Edited by Bradley Thornton
  • 8 years later...

@Rld273 - If you are asking relative to oil filter, yes as long as your filter is located in the standard GM location at the left rear corner of the block on the opposite side from the starter motor.  If a remote filter setup was installed, you will need to reference the existing filter.  The 350 may be referencing the engine size, the 340 is Indmar's reference for power level.

2 hours ago, Woodski said:

@Rld273 - If you are asking relative to oil filter, yes as long as your filter is located in the standard GM location at the left rear corner of the block on the opposite side from the starter motor.  If a remote filter setup was installed, you will need to reference the existing filter.  The 350 may be referencing the engine size, the 340 is Indmar's reference for power level.