Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu in Saltwater

elkfever

Found a beautiful Malibu that was used in saltwater. In only has about 200 hours on it, but it really concerns me about the water it was used in. What should I be concerned about? Future problems, etc. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks.

IMO the most important variable is how thorough the owner was in caring for the boat. If it was flushed and wiped down religiously, it may be just fine. If the owner was not diligent in caring for it, you could run into some serious prblems down the road. Salt water is very corrosive and will cause big issues to any metal on the boat. This includes badges, towers, electronics/wiring, board racks, gauges, audio equipment, pumps, mounts and the motor itself. I have seen some salt boats that are in very good shape and some freshwater boats that are trashed. All that said, I would hedge my bets and pay significantly less for a saltwater boat. Did I mention that I have a freshwater boat for sale? :whistle:http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40282-2008-wakesetter-23-lsv-49500/

Right or wrong, I think most people feel the same way as Tacostik regarding a saltwater boat's value. I will be temporarily living in Houston next year, and if I can find a freshwater lake close to where I'll be living I'll bring my boat down. However, my Bu will probably sit in storage for a season vs. putting it in saltwater in the Houston area as freshwater options seem very limited. Just make sure you factor this sentiment into your purchase if you decide to pull the trigger. As stated, a well cared for saltwater boat is probably fine, but all things being equal, should still be cheaper than a freshwater boat.

Found a beautiful Malibu that was used in saltwater. In only has about 200 hours on it, but it really concerns me about the water it was used in. What should I be concerned about? Future problems, etc. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks.

If you are going to use your new boat in salt water, then go for it.

Future problems, everything that can corrode will do so at an accelerated rate. It has already started.

Edited by MalibuTime

If you are going to use the boat in fresh water from here on out, I would not make a big deal of it. My 1970 Winner has been used in salt water for 43 years and the only problem it is developing now is the floor is getting a little soft. That may have nothing to do with the salt though being thousands (yes thousands) of people have climbed into that boat out of the water dripping wet, both in salt and fresh water. A little seasoning will not hurt anything, except an ungalvanized trailer.

Right or wrong, I think most people feel the same way as Tacostik regarding a saltwater boat's value. I will be temporarily living in Houston next year, and if I can find a freshwater lake close to where I'll be living I'll bring my boat down. However, my Bu will probably sit in storage for a season vs. putting it in saltwater in the Houston area as freshwater options seem very limited. Just make sure you factor this sentiment into your purchase if you decide to pull the trigger. As stated, a well cared for saltwater boat is probably fine, but all things being equal, should still be cheaper than a freshwater boat.

South of Houston.... Freshwater Lake Conroe. I was there last weekend.... Looks to be a very busy social lake.... I would not hesitate to bring my boat there, good luck.

Thanks for the great replies. The owner told me that it was used in back waters off the ocean, so the salt was a little less. I am not a salt water expert so I can't comment on the truth behind that statement. I asked him if he flushed it after every use and he said no, but he did wash it and wipe down eveything after every use. He also said that it was stored indoors for the first 8 years but the past 2 years it has been shrink wrapped and kept outdoors close to the ocean. If he did not flush the engine with fresh water would that be a red flag? I also asked if it was made with saltwater components and he did not know. The boat is a 2002.....does anyone know if Malibu made saltwater components for their boats in 2002?

I will be using the boat on a fresh water inlake lake from here on out. What percentage less should I be asking for a salt water boat?

I run my boat in fresh and brackish water and ALWAYS flush and wash my boat. If this guy uses his boat strictly in saltwater and not flush, I would walk away from it. There is going to be a lot of boats for sale in the off season, just be patient and you will find a better boat.

i would walk with not flushing it the motor is already rusting from the inside out to many other boats out there to take your chances on this one

Walk? I would run!!! It is like the right women you will know her when you see her there will be no reasons to ask any questions. Good luck!!!

my boats have all been malibu saltwater boats,with saltwater engines and package ,over 300 hours and boat runs

perfect , i wash and flush after every use !

if its not a saltwater series boat with closed cooling and flushed after use i would keep away ...