Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone ever add a remote oil filter?

Bill_AirJunky

I looked at remote filters last year and all the ones except the indmar said not for marine use.. not sure if it is durability or hose rating or what. The indmar was $300 at bakes

I looked at remote filters last year and all the ones except the indmar said not for marine use.. not sure if it is durability or hose rating or what. The indmar was $300 at bakes

I had a mercruiser (5.7 Chev.) and I put a remote oil filter unit on it. I bought it from Overtons. It worked well and never gave me any trouble at all. he filter was located next to the throttle cable.on top of the engine.It made changing the filter a cinch, a lot less of a mess.

I want to. The '02 - '05 Indmar LS1's have the remote oil filter from the factory. Engine Nut PM'ed me a while ago saying he would see if he could piece together the part numbers for me but never followed up on it.

I plan on trying to piece the parts together for that project this winter. It is a worthy project if I can get the parts. Everything is probably the same as the Monsoon kit except the block adapter.

Sounds like everyone is in agreement on this one (for once)..... well worth the easy filter changes, etc.

I checked Summit's site & their selling the same productfor the same price as Jegs. Looks like Napa sells one in that price range too.

Looking at the parts in the kit, I can't imagine what would make this kind of thing "marinized" for a boat environment. I mean there is no spark from it, and it doesn't have fuel in it. Or need to be winterized. Maybe it should have aluminum &/or stainless hardware? Although 9/10ths of the rest of our engines don't so I can't imagine thats an issue.

Only thing I can think of is what filter does it use? I suppose it would be a good idea to upgrade to some kind of better quality, high flow filter. The Napa parts guy I talked with said their kit is compatible with a filter # 1791, which is a 2 qt filter with a much higher flow rate. Necessary? Maybe not. Might be a good option though.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky