Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Starboard ballast tank level indicator not working

lightning67

Hello all,

This is my first Malibu but 3rd boat.

I have a 2012 247 LSV with just about every option.

Recently the Starboard ballast tank level indicator is not registering any level (except empty) even though the tank is full and overflowing through the return port.

My Maliview system is the touch screen version.

All other ballast tank level indicators are working fine.

Any suggestions?

67 - same think happened first week on my bow ballast I got mine on the water.

I just looked at my work order it says:

REPAIR INOP BALLAST TANK SENSOR: CORRECTIVE ACTION: REPAIRED OPEN GROUND AT PLUG TO SENDER

so on the bow ballast it was a 3-5 min fix just removing cushions. for your rear ballast, you are going to have to unscrew and remove that black platic decking in there in order to get to the electronics of the level sensor to ensure it is plugged in.

• Like 1

Nyryan2001,

Would the black plastic covers you're referring to be under the rear corner seat or in the back rear cmparment?

Just looking for hints to where the float/sender/sensor might be so I'm not unscrewing the whole back end.

Any chance you have a pic of where you think the sendor is? No need to unscrew anything; just looking for where to start.

thanks!

67- its that black plastic dimpled floor decking inside your back rear hatches.... you gotta remove that in order to get to those rear ballast tanks. once you remove those, you will certainly see wires leading to the level sensor inside the ballast tank.

I have had to mess around with the rear ballast drain pumps...they are inside those 10"x10" rear raised boxes on that black decking, against the back transom wall inside the hatches.... but I never had to remove the decking floor myself. I am pretty sure all it is, is a couple screws securing it to cross members that surround the ballast tank.

is your dealer too far away to take it to him to fix?

I had a bow sensor not responding after the first time in the water after winter. I took the sensor out and the float was stuck on the base it sits on when empty. Pop'ed it lose and it was G2G.

• 6 years later...

I have a 2014 MXZ Right Rear Ballast is showing full.  But when I filled it Saturday it took a longer than normal on the dash to say full when i went to empty it emptied but the dash still reads full.  I have been told to clean to sensor, does anyone know were I can get to the sensor are they are hard to get too to clean?  I checked pump and it is filling and emptying fine.  

On 6/17/2019 at 4:01 PM, adgray said:

I have a 2014 MXZ Right Rear Ballast is showing full.  But when I filled it Saturday it took a longer than normal on the dash to say full when i went to empty it emptied but the dash still reads full.  I have been told to clean to sensor, does anyone know were I can get to the sensor are they are hard to get too to clean?  I checked pump and it is filling and emptying fine.  

In my 2013 era VLX I had to pull up the floor panel in the back to get to the rear ballast pump and the sensor.  Start in the back where the riser is for the PnP hose if you have one, hopefully the level sensor will be there.  It's pretty obvious which appurtenance is the level sensor... The one with the wire.  A few bolts and it will slide out.  Should just have to unjam the float and you'll be back in business.

• 1 year later...

My 2011 23lsv just started to have this problem with the starboard side tank.  Will fill and drain no problem but the sensor isn't working. (Not a huge deal since I always run it full anyway but I would still just like it to work.)  I unscrewed the black plastic panel that separates the locker from the engine and then the screws to the floorboard.  In all it wasn't too bad getting to the tank sensor, however, when I pulled the sensor out it clearly wasn't stuck as I turned it upside down and the float came up immediately.  I didn't clean it but it did have a slight oily feel to it. I made sure it was plugged back in before putting it all back together.  Took the boat out on the water and it still isn't registering.  I guess i'll have to try and trace the wires to see if there is a bad connections somewhere.

• 2 months later...

So this is a few months old....but my mid tank sensor did the same.  I pulled it (kinda a pain) and found that the float no longer floats...  I put it in a bucket of water to confirm.  I ended up zip tieing a piece of foam to it and now it works again.  :-)  I did have to widen the hole a bit in the tank to make it fit.