Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Highest point when G3 tower is folded down on VLX

Cory

What is the highest point when the G3 tower on a 2009-present VLX is folded down? Is it the center of the crossbar that the ski rope ties to or the folded in board racks? If it's the crossbar, how much higher is the crossbar than the folded in board racks? If it's the board racks, about how much higher are the board racks than the center of the crossbar?

Thanks.

If it is going to effect a buying decision in regards to a garage door the racks come off in seconds via 1 allen screw. My LSV will be different from the VLX due to the cabin size most likely, but the rope ball is the highest point on my LSV with the tower touching the dash. If the board racks are mounted in their lowest G3 positons and extended toward the rear of the boat and the tower lowered, the racks are the highest by a good 4", "on a LSV". They should both be pretty close though.

On the VLX with a G3 the hoop is the highest, then the board racks, then the rear "point" of the tower, then the windshield. If you remove the hoop (or get a "straight" hoop), and slide off the board racks (easy to do) then the rear tower point is 6'11" tall on the standard Boatmate trailer.

Edited by Brett B

... but the rope ball is the highest point on my LSV with the tower touching the dash. If the board racks are mounted in their lowest G3 positons and extended toward the rear of the boat and the tower lowered, the racks are the highest by a good 4", "on a LSV".

If I understand you right, with the board racks folded all the way inward, the rope ball is still higher when the board racks are mounted in the lower tower position and the tower is folded all the way down. But, if you swivel the racks to stick straight up when the tower is folded down, then they are of course higher by 4". Am I understanding your statement correctly?

On the VLX with a G3 the hoop is the highest, then the board racks, then the rear "point" of the tower, then the windshield. If you remove the hoop (or get a "straight" hoop), and slide off the board racks (easy to do) then the rear tower point is 6'11" tall on the standard Boatmate trailer.

Could you take a guess of the height difference between the board racks and the hoop. My garage door at home is curved. The center point is about 7' 9.5" and the outer corners are 7' 1" (door is 10 ft wide).

Will 18" rims add much in height, or are they about the same as standard 14" rims, since the tires are low profile?

The board racks will certainly not fit under 7'1", but since your garage door is curved you would have to measure and see what the actual height will be at that location. I will see if I can measure board rack height with a folded tower.

If I remember right they are pretty close to the tow ball height but that depends on how much your tower will fold. On the 2012 demo VLX we measured the tower folded all the way down to the steering wheel. On mine it contacts the top of the dash and can't fold as low. It must be mounted 1/2" further forward than on that demo. Not a big deal because it still barely fits but it would be nice if it folded a bit lower. I made a PVC tower stand to keep it from touching the dash.