Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing Hurth 1:1 transmission.

I have done all of the winterization needed for mu '03 Malibu LXI Monsoon 335 engine. As for the transmission, where and how do I drain the water circulation for my transmission. Is there lake water that has been pumped to the transmission. Do I have to get to it through the floor hatch between the engine cover and back seat? Of is there nothing to drain for this transmission/gearbox for winter?

I have done all of the winterization needed for mu '03 Malibu LXI Monsoon 335 engine. As for the transmission, where and how do I drain the water circulation for my transmission. Is there lake water that has been pumped to the transmission. Do I have to get to it through the floor hatch between the engine cover and back seat? Of is there nothing to drain for this transmission/gearbox for winter?

DD or VD?

I believe that the transmission fluid is circulated through the transmission cooler, which is situated in line between the impeller and water circulation pump. Drain the water out of this line (in addition to all other water lines, etc) and you should be ok.

follow the transmission fluid lines (these lines contain trans fluid) up to the front of the engine and they terminate at the trans. cooler.

trans cooler is also fed from the cold water lines (maybe a 1 1/2" hose).

take a few minutes to insure that the water supply side of the trans cooler when is clear of debris when you pull that water hose to drain it down.

Easier yet, follow the output line 1 1/4" from the raw water pump up to the trans cooler. I always pull the line with a 5/16 nut driver and take a shop vacuum and suck the water out of the pump and lines and suck the crud (if any) off the screen located inside the tran cooler. IME, the screen is the first thing to cause over heating issues! There is a brass drain plug on the inboard/bottom of the trans cooler, but if you vacuum it there really isn't a need to pull it. Good luck, Bill.