Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to release a stuck brass t shaped bung

bandit

Hi,

Can't remove one of the brass t shaped drainage bungs near the bilge pumps. It is stuck so hard the brass twists when trying to force it to release with a shifter.

Any tips/tricks please.

Thanks

Hi,

Can't remove one of the brass t shaped drainage bungs near the bilge pumps. It is stuck so hard the brass twists when trying to force it to release with a shifter.

Any tips/tricks please.

Thanks

Are you saying the fitting in the hull of the boat is twisting free?

I have run into this several times. Sometimes they are hopelessly seized togeather. The handle IS GONNA BREAK, especially if you've already seen the brass twisting. Best suggestion is to buy a complete plug with hull fitting,($75 to $100) then go ahead and break the t handle off and remove the fitting by removing the 4 screws from the bottom of the boat. Most thru hull projects scare people but this is really not that difficult. Break off the t handle, remove the screws from the fitting, clean up the old silicone on the hull, apply silicone to the new fitting and re install. Should take about 20 minutes as long as you have the parts on hand.

Try a good penetrating oil like the PB Blaster that was recommeded. Let it sit, then hit it with the PB again about an hour later. My handle, if I remember correctly, is square shafted. Put a large crescent wrench on the handle toward the base near the threads if space permits. Twist it there. When you re-install, put the smallest amount of teflon pipe dope on the threads to keep it from seizing again.

Try a good penetrating oil like the PB Blaster that was recommeded. Let it sit, then hit it with the PB again about an hour later. My handle, if I remember correctly, is square shafted. Put a large crescent wrench on the handle toward the base near the threads if space permits. Twist it there. When you re-install, put the smallest amount of teflon pipe dope on the threads to keep it from seizing again.

And if all that does work, chuck the old one and use a new handle for the re-install.

Dont turn so hard on it that you break the handle, not necessary.

there is a nut, 1/2" or so molded into the the bottom of the T hanlde... put a 12" cresent wrench on there. watch your knuckles because it"ll break loose quickly and when it does it seems like your knuckles are only there as padding between the wrench and everything in its way. A lesson I re-learned for the 50th time about 3 weeks ago.

DrainPlugT34_LG.jpg

Edited by nyryan2001