Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Warranty coverage

I personally did not have an issue but I did not seek out an official answer. I do my own services and winterizing and I buy my parts from the dealer so they knew I was doing the work. I had a V-drive replaced under warranty and I was doing the services on it.

A friend had a 08 VLX Vdrive went out changed it no questions asked. had some little things done on the motor again no questions asked. I do think it may matter what dealer you go to. He does all his own maintenance on the boat and doesn't buy anything from the dealer.

Northpoint will hook you up :biggrin:

I don't have any warranty issues actually... just wondering if it's ok for me to do my own maintenance during the warranty period. I'll probably just keep the receipts for what I buy and document things. Northpointe is awesome though! I buy something from Tanner every time I come down. My brother is actually moving down there in a month.... so I think I may show up in NC even more often.

I don't have any warranty issues actually... just wondering if it's ok for me to do my own maintenance during the warranty period. I'll probably just keep the receipts for what I buy and document things. Northpointe is awesome though! I buy something from Tanner every time I come down. My brother is actually moving down there in a month.... so I think I may show up in NC even more often.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits manufactures and dealers from requiring that all maintence be performed at the dealership. In other words, a dealers/manufacturer requirement that you buy all maintenance from the official dealer or they void your warranty would be an illegal Tie-in provision.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits manufactures and dealers from requiring that all maintence be performed at the dealership. In other words, a dealers/manufacturer requirement that you buy all maintenance from the official dealer or they void your warranty would be an illegal Tie-in provision.

Wow... great info. I guess all they'd have to stand on is to say I did it wrong.

Wow... great info. I guess all they'd have to stand on is to say I did it wrong.

Well, for simple maintenance, keep the receipts in a folder somewhere. Of course failing to have maintenance done or doing the maintenance wrong, (think big mistakes like forgetting to add oil after an oil change) would be fair reason to deny a warranty claim

Also, dealer/manufacture cannot condition the warranty on you buying "official" parts from them. All that said, I like official parts, and on a new truck or boat I would have the first service done at the dealer, but that is more due to me wanting to believe that the official parts and dealer service are more special somehow than any concern over the warranty.

Edited by Bozboat

Also keep in mind basic work such as oil changes are typically done by the 17 yr old toe rags at the dealer so if you have any skill at all you are likely doing a better job yourself! Yes there are exceptions but generally basic service is done by new or less qualified staff.

I personally did not have an issue but I did not seek out an official answer. I do my own services and winterizing and I buy my parts from the dealer so they knew I was doing the work. I had a V-drive replaced under warranty and I was doing the services on it.

I should qualify my statement... the dealer does not require me to buy the maintenance parts from them.. I just do to keep the relationship alive and strong... an extra buck or two for simple maintenance items pays ten fold when something serious goes wrong. (in fact they swing a pretty good deal on parts anyway)