Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dry suit question

radnevrad

Took my dry suit in for O'Neill factory repair because "dry" was no longer part of the suit. Got the suit back, getting ready for a chilly Fall ski/foil and one of the foot gaskets immediately tore. First time trying on after repair. :(

Any suggestions? Any kind of gasket material I should be asking about? Any kind of "lube" so the gaskets will slide on easily? Pitch this suit (not el cheapo) and buy another? Type/model recommendations? Prefer replacement of suit to be last ditch solution.

The gasket material that tore is a rubber gasket, not the neoprene style I have seen. Just seems like it shouldn't be such a PITA to put these suits on to extend our seasons! Thanks

So this is the smooth rubber collar that is basically glued to the suit? Just replace it with another one. Thats the beauty of these type of suits is the seals are not very expensive & easily replaced (as opposed to the neoprene seals which are a much bigger process).

As for lube, we've used a variety of things over the years, baby powder, food grade silicone, water, etc. I don't use any of them myself, just stretch it out a bit as I pull it on.I have a baggy style from Wileys.

There are lubricants for the seals I think more for slowing dry rot. I switched to suits with neoprene seals years ago and never looked back. They are much more user friendly in my opinion. They may not be as dry you can fores some water past the seals. I use Velcro straps for my ankles. I don't think many suits have them now. O'Neill does have one. As said the silicone seals do fail and you can replace them. I just find them to tight for comfort.

Not the first time I have heard this recently (which includes my ski buddy...his recently "repaired" suit leaked immediately).

I have heard good things about Wiley's repairs www.wileyski.com else try www.adrenalinewatersports.com

Good Luck. A dry suit is a great piece of equipment....a "moist suit" not so much.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to a dive shop to get my drysuit fixed. They recommended the following:

1. Use a Rosin bag, do not use baby powder. I was told that baby powder can promote dry rot

2. Store you dry suit inside the house after use and on a hanger

Just slap the rosin bag on the inside area on all seals and on your hands and feet. They just slip right in.

Any dive shop shoud have rosin bags.

Edited by Rmack

There are lubricants for the seals I think more for slowing dry rot. I switched to suits with neoprene seals years ago and never looked back. They are much more user friendly in my opinion. They may not be as dry you can fores some water past the seals. I use Velcro straps for my ankles. I don't think many suits have them now. O'Neill does have one. As said the silicone seals do fail and you can replace them. I just find them to tight for comfort.

I found about 3-4 inches of motorycycle inner tube works way better than the velcro strap. It always seemed to get water all the up to the cheeks, specially when starting your pull to the next ball...the rubber tube over the neoprene eliminates that, sso the suit is truly dry. I think I have the Oneil Assault...fulll neoprene.

Edited by [email protected]

I would question how your putting on and taking suit off. Basically you put your foot halfway into seal and then need to use your fingers and go under seal and work over heel. Same thing in reverse to take off. Be careful using finger nails. Same with hands halfway then use other hand to stretch out seal and pull through. Oneill suit is too notch but you have to know how to put on and take off. Also if you borrow it to somebody make sure they know what they are doing or you'll be replacing more seals!

I found about 3-4 inches of motorycycle inner tube works way better than the velcro strap. It always seemed to get water all the up to the cheeks, specially when starting your pull to the next ball...the rubber tube over the neoprene eliminates that, sso the suit is truly dry. I think I have the Oneil Assault...fulll neoprene.

Good idea I never gave that a thought. I may be in the Oneil Assault for my next dry suit. I cant take the rubber latex seals. .Full neoprene is the only way to go for me but the largest suit Oneil makes is just a bit on the small size. Very tight at the hips.

...Full neoprene is the only way to go for me...

FYI: O'Neill no longer makes the Throttle (full neoprene) drysuit. I still have mine, it's my back-up suit now. The O'Neill Assault is their hybrid suit, which is what I am currently using. The hybrid is a little less restrictive in the shoulders when reaching at the turn. Other than that the suits are fairly comparable in performance. If you liked the Throttle suit, IMHO, you should be perfectly happy with the Assault.

:thumbup:

FYI: O'Neill no longer makes the Throttle (full neoprene) drysuit. I still have mine, it's my back-up suit now. The O'Neill Assault is their hybrid suit, which is what I am currently using. The hybrid is a little less restrictive in the shoulders when reaching at the turn. Other than that the suits are fairly comparable in performance. If you liked the Throttle suit, IMHO, you should be perfectly happy with the Assault.

:thumbup:

I've got a throttle as well and much prefer that to the baggy style, but I'd buy the hybrid if I were to need a new one. It's hard to beat Barefoot Int'l suits toughness though.

what is the benefit of the dry suit over the wet suit? Was going to ask Santa to bring me a 2mm long sleeve wet suit top so i can continue to board this winter. Should I be looking at dry?

what is the benefit of the dry suit over the wet suit? Was going to ask Santa to bring me a 2mm long sleeve wet suit top so i can continue to board this winter. Should I be looking at dry?

We don't use wetsuits anymore w go directly from 2mil spring tops to drysuits. Drysuits are just that they keep you dry. Wetsuits trap water in between the layers and use your body heat it.

A upper vest will help extend your season, but if it gets really cold a dry suit is essential. A dry suit you can wear clothes under the suit which keeps you warm. A wet suit uses your body heat to warm the thin layer of water between you and your wetsuit. This "warmer water membrane" usually goes bye bye when you fall.

A wet suit uses your body heat to warm the thin layer of water between you and your wetsuit. This "warmer water membrane" usually goes bye bye when you fall.

Very true, especially when you land on your head riding a foil. Hell, a neck seal on a dry suit can only handle a "light" head slapper before it lets in water. Foiling with a dry suit is really nice because we can use built-in booties and wear snowboard socks. I rode in 38F water with 35F air (was actually snowing) during our Santa run last Christmas. I was cold, but it really wasn't that bad.

So this is the smooth rubber collar that is basically glued to the suit? Just replace it with another one. Thats the beauty of these type of suits is the seals are not very expensive & easily replaced (as opposed to the neoprene seals which are a much bigger process).

As for lube, we've used a variety of things over the years, baby powder, food grade silicone, water, etc. I don't use any of them myself, just stretch it out a bit as I pull it on.I have a baggy style from Wileys.

I spray all seals with food grade silicone at least every year. My dry suit has not seen all that much use over the years, but the seals are still good. Suit is 20 years old, maybe more. The fgs also helps get it on and off. Just need to be gentle.

Very true, especially when you land on your head riding a foil. Hell, a neck seal on a dry suit can only handle a "light" head slapper before it lets in water. Foiling with a dry suit is really nice because we can use built-in booties and wear snowboard socks. I rode in 38F water with 35F air (was actually snowing) during our Santa run last Christmas. I was cold, but it really wasn't that bad.

I usually go for a combined air and water of 100..but I live in CA...and we are wussies!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who have replied. Is the rosin Rmack talks about above actually talc in a rosin-like bag? The rosin I am familiar with in basebal is very sticky. My local dive shop has what looks like talc in a rosin-like bag. Thanks

That's the one. Mine is about 1 inch by 2 inches. Its not rosin, but it looks like a rosin bag. Like I said, it works great, slap it on ur wrist and ankles and then some on the inside seals of the suit. It doesnt over stretch the seals.

Water temp usually gets to the low 60s upper 50s at the coldest here. Should i invest in a drysuit or a wetsuit?

Boy, really a matter of preference. I use a neo top until the water temps start dipping down into the low 60's and then switch to a dry suit. My daughter and her husband prefer to use a full length wet suit when they make the switch. I like that I can stay nice and dry after getting back into the boat, whereas in a wetsuit you have to peel down to your trunks after getting back into the boat. The wetsuit does give you a bit more freedom of movement, esp for slalom skiing, but I don't think it is that big of a difference.

Boy, really a matter of preference. I use a neo top until the water temps start dipping down into the low 60's and then switch to a dry suit. My daughter and her husband prefer to use a full length wet suit when they make the switch. I like that I can stay nice and dry after getting back into the boat, whereas in a wetsuit you have to peel down to your trunks after getting back into the boat. The wetsuit does give you a bit more freedom of movement, esp for slalom skiing, but I don't think it is that big of a difference.

Thanks