Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sony remote not displaying volume

aquaman

I have the RM-X60M/R Sony remote control. Does anyone know why I am unable to visually see what volume number I am at on the display but it will show everything else?

Same problem I had intermittently with mine. Try pushing the reset button on the head unit, behind the face plate. That would work for me. I eventually had to replace the head unit to get the remote to work 100%.

The 3-conductor 3.5mm cable carries the commands. The multi-pin UniLink cable carries the display information. If the cable or the connection security was in question I would assume this would impact more than just one portion of the display. Just the same, check and re-seat all UniLink connections. If the reset doesn't get a result then try a hard reset where you totally disconnect the source unit power and ground for 10 minutes and re-apply the ground before either of the B+ supplies. Also, low voltage can manifest in strange ways. So try another ground to your source unit. After that if you don't get a better result, it may be time to either bench check the source unit or introduce a substitute product to confirm the culprit.

David

So I did the reset behind the face plate. Now the volume will display only on radio, rear in, but not on cd or USB which I use the most. Any suggestions and where is the best place to disconnect the power and grounds to the radio? Behind head unit, fuse, battery??

Initially you can try a hard reset by simply unplugging the main molex plug at the rear of the source unit. But that doesn't sequence the ground first, B+ last. Or, you can try removing just the B+ supplies via the fuses while leaving the ground intact. In the end you may have to interrupt the hardwired ground and follow the full sequence. But that may be the case anyway if you need to relocate the ground to a better point.

David

All I am getting is a display that says USB or cd with no ability to view song or volume on the remote. I reseated all remotes and disconnected the molex plug and fuse on the back of the hu. I let sit unplugged for 1 hr, plugged molex in than put fuse back in and no bueno. I even tried isolating a only one remote instead of 4 and still no luck. Maybe my head unit is not compatible cdx-gt930ui? Any thoughts?

aquaman,

The remote control is compatible withn all Sony Unilink units that also have a hardwired or steering wheel remote control provision which includes your model.

Did I read four remote controls?

Tried removing a remote control and plugging it in directly at the rear of the source unit?

David

David, I did and same results. I even had an extra new remote and it did the same thing. Not sure what to do next. Maybe unplug all my batteries and let sit for a day then hook up ground first than power??

aquaman,

At this point I would take the source unit to a Sony dealer for a bench check. Confirm in advance that they have a display remote on hand. It sure is looking like an issue with the HU.

David

David, I called Sony today and they told me that since my headunit was made for auto the only remote that has 100% compatibility is the one they put on steering wheels. When my head unit is used with the rmx55/60, it is used on the same line like a cd changer would be. I think he told me a hook up on the bus side and not a true u link. He also mentioned that the marine remote could only work 100% if used with the marine head unit. The cdxm60ui is what he recommended bc I need a rear USB. Have you ever used the Sony remotes with different head units and ever had problems displaying songs titles and volume?

aquaman,

That's news to me as I have seen several automotive units with the Unilink (changer) cable plus the 3.5mm control cable work fine and display all the info on a marine display remote. I checked with a technician also and he was surprised to hear this as it runs contrary to his experience. However, you learn to never say never because there can always be an exception to your own experiences.

David