Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Suggestions on Wet Sounds purchase?

Jmhtaylor

I just bought a '12 Wakesetter VLX. It only has the standard 6 Rockford speakers, small 2 channel amp and dual batteries. I would like to either put to Rev10's on the tower with a SYN4 running it, OR should I replace the boat speakers with XS-650's with a SYN4. I will add the WS-420 with either setup as well. I know that these two installs would be somewhat close in cost and I would like to know which is going to be the best step to take in building my outdoor concert. I'm afraid the Rockfords may not be able to keep up with the Rev10's, but I really don't know. Help please?!

Well, if it is close to the same price I would go with the wetsounds.

I don't quite get what you mean, you would do Rev 10's and keep the stock speakers, OR, just the xs650's and no rev 10's?

I was in the exact same situation when I bought my 11 VLX.

I did a Syn 4 on the Rev 10's. I went back and forth on pulling the RF 6.5" and going with the WS XS 650's and I finnally decided to not mess with the in boats. I ended up putting a Syn 4 on the RF 6.5's and never look back.

It will cost you 825 to replace 6 and 1100 to replace all 8...the RF's are good enough that you will be fine with leaving them.

This is some advice from a guy who loves Wetsounds and has owned the 6.5's in the past

That's a great idea I never thought of. Guess I will be installing the tower speakers and an extra SYN4 and that way I will still be able to upgrade if not pleased with the Rockford's.

Right on!

Two Syn 4's leaves you with a ton of options.

1.) Rev 10's on a Syn4 and Rockford inboats on a Syn 4

2.) Rev 10's on a Syn4 and WetSounds inboats on a Syn 4

3.) Rev 10's on a Syn4 and another set of Rev 10's on a Syn 4 and and another Syn 4 on inboats

Option 3 would be crazy!!!!!!

the rockford are great speakers.. ide go with revs on tower, i prefer rev 8's you cant tell "that" much difference and saves you on head room.. if you go with one pair, order the "double pair" bracket incase you ever want to add another pair you wont throw the $250 single brackets out, youll allready have the double.. just my 2 cents.. depending on where your from.. i have a set of double pair brackets ide sell you for cheap..im in TN

Instead of the Syn 4, why not spend less than half the money on a Polk D4000.4? Same power rating at a huge cost savings. It's a newer amp but has been heavily tested and proven to put out its rated power and performs very well. Heck, you could buy two D4000.4's instead of the Syn 4's and have enough money leftover to buy all 3 pairs of Wetsounds inboat speakers.

Some people want a little more quality and are willing to spend a little more to get it.

Im not to sure about tested....has anyone been running one of those amps for more than 6 months in aboat. The Syn amps have about 4 or 5 years of real world testing.

Arc Audio and Wet Sounds Syn amps are designed by the best in the business, Robert Zeff, who hails from Nikola Engineering in Sequim, WA. If you have heard his name before, it is probably b/c he is associated with Zapco which has been some of the best amps on the market for many many years. I have personally spoken with Brad from Arc Audio close to 50 times over the past 5 years that I have owned Arc Amps. He is a domestic engineer with a great amount of knowledge and technical engineering experience.

Here is the deal with Polk Audio which is now owned by DEI. Pol, PPI Python, Viper are all owned by DEI and DEI is simply and importer without an ounce of domestic engineering. The basically take what South Korea and Asia sends them and slaps a label on them and sells them. Power specs are for the most part unqualified and in reality are a small part of the amplifier true sonic equation.

Sorry to bring this back up - but I thought the OP needed a little more info

Some people want a little more quality and are willing to spend a little more to get it.

Im not to sure about tested....has anyone been running one of those amps for more than 6 months in aboat. The Syn amps have about 4 or 5 years of real world testing.

On the same note some people are all about the name and will pay more for it.

Rockfords will work just fine.

If you like the Rev10's I would spend the extra money over the Rev8s that way you will never look back and say what if.

The XM9s is what I have and sound great with my Rockford 6.5s just a little cheaper option but most people say they can't tell the difference in the two.

As far as amps do a search on AMPS and you should find many ideas.

Arc Audio and Wet Sounds Syn amps are designed by the best in the business, Robert Zeff, who hails from Nikola Engineering in Sequim, WA. If you have heard his name before, it is probably b/c he is associated with Zapco which has been some of the best amps on the market for many many years. I have personally spoken with Brad from Arc Audio close to 50 times over the past 5 years that I have owned Arc Amps. He is a domestic engineer with a great amount of knowledge and technical engineering experience.

Here is the deal with Polk Audio which is now owned by DEI. Pol, PPI Python, Viper are all owned by DEI and DEI is simply and importer without an ounce of domestic engineering. The basically take what South Korea and Asia sends them and slaps a label on them and sells them. Power specs are for the most part unqualified and in reality are a small part of the amplifier true sonic equation.

The Syn amps are nice, but that doesn't mean there aren't alternatives that are good or nearly as good. Here is a little review for you...I'll leave it to the OP to research the numerous happy customers using these series of amps.

http://www.pasmag.com/car-audio/test-reports/2049-test-report-polk-audio-pa-d40004-amplifier-

Fact is this amp will do what the OP needs with good sound quality at a far lower price point.

Its been brought to my attention I may need a charging system. I was looking at the Dual Pro charger systems...any suggestions which model and series i should go with for this setup

Its been brought to my attention I may need a charging system. I was looking at the Dual Pro charger systems...any suggestions which model and series i should go with for this setup

Charger capacity should be determined by the collective battery reserves times how deeply you discharge your batteries. Battery reserves should be determined by audio system power, system efficiency, how loud and for how long the play time is at rest, plus the use of pumps and other high current draws. It might not hurt to calculate future power for a subwoofer even if you don't consider yourself a basshead. You don't want to make a habit of depleting even deep cycle batteries below 50 percent (12 volts). So lets say you have up to three total standard sized batteries (which is enough for a great majority of boaters), then the 20 amp charger referenced is fine. It has enough capacity to adequately condition deeply cycled batteries and large enough that you aren't running the charger into the ground.

David

Charger capacity should be determined by the collective battery reserves times how deeply you discharge your batteries. Battery reserves should be determined by audio system power, system efficiency, how loud and for how long the play time is at rest, plus the use of pumps and other high current draws. It might not hurt to calculate future power for a subwoofer even if you don't consider yourself a basshead. You don't want to make a habit of depleting even deep cycle batteries below 50 percent (12 volts). So lets say you have up to three total standard sized batteries (which is enough for a great majority of boaters), then the 20 amp charger referenced is fine. It has enough capacity to adequately condition deeply cycled batteries and large enough that you aren't running the charger into the ground.

David

So can the 20 amp ever be to much. If not bigger is better right :dontknow:

So can the 20 amp ever be to much. If not bigger is better right :dontknow:

Under-charging can be as bad for batteries as over-charging. Too much current with too rapid of a charge can create excessive heat that will damage a battery. In contrast, under-charging will not erase the effects of sulfation which applies more to deeply cycled batteries. This is very different from the need for no more than a minimum current maintenance/tender/minder charger that is used on starting batteries that are placed into storage fully charged and are only intended to counter self-discharge over long storage periods.

So it is important to have a balance for any application. And applications will vary.

David

• Like 1

Robert Zeff (Nikola/Ubuy) definitely came up with a great design with the piccolo series amps, which is why many companies like Arc, Wetsounds, Zapco, Elf, Cerwin Vega, Krypt, Bazooka, Clarion, Eton, Vibe, etc, etc, used them. All of these amps hail from the ubuy buildhouse in Taiwand http://www.ubuy.com.tw/. Most of these companies have moved on to newer technology, and no longer offer the piccolo variants.

PPI (Precision Power) is owned by Epsilon, not DEI, but the parent company is largely irrelevant when shopping for an amplifier. It's the design that deserves the most attention. These new full range class d amps are proven performers, offering high output, great SQ, small footprint, and budget friendly (depending on which variant you choose). This is also shown by highly regarded companies like Nakamichi and Hertz sharing identical amps (internally) to NVX, PPI, Polk, Soundstream, etc in their product line. All of these companies have one thing in common, offering identical amps in different cases, their parent company is not something they have in common.