Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do you change the oil when winterizing?

I only got about 40 hours on my boat this year, 2002 LSV with the Hammerhead. I started with fresh oil and fluids in the spring. Do you guys change the oil at the end of the season? Is it bad to keep the old oil in until spring? If you change the oil should i be doing all the fluids? I also have to put in a new impeller should i wait till spring? Last one if you change the oil at winterazation do you also change it in the spring? Sorry for all the questions thanks crew!

I only got about 40 hours on my boat this year, 2002 LSV with the Hammerhead. I started with fresh oil and fluids in the spring. Do you guys change the oil at the end of the season? Is it bad to keep the old oil in until spring? If you change the oil should i be doing all the fluids? I also have to put in a new impeller should i wait till spring? Last one if you change the oil at winterazation do you also change it in the spring? Sorry for all the questions thanks crew!

I change engine oil and transmission fluid at the end of each season regardless of hours. I would wait until spring to install the new impeller. I don't change the oil again in ths spring as the fresh oil from winterization does not degrade over the winter.

Not changing it probably wouldnt hurt it, but peace of mind is good.

You should change it. Dump all the contaminants in the old oil sitting in the bottom and add fresh oil to dilute the small amounts left in there. New filter and you'll be just fine. I would not change unused oil in the spring.

Somebody with a vdrive will chime in for the service interval for vdrive and tranny fluid change outs.

The impeller is fine to do now or later. Problem with later is: will you remember to put it in? If you dont replace it now, you'll want to tag your steering wheel so nobody tries to start or run the boat without it.

Edited by Shine

Definitely you should change it, you dont want the particulate in the oil settling to the bottom of your oil pan, because it will be a challenge to remove in the spring.

Definitely you should change it, you dont want the particulate in the oil settling to the bottom of your oil pan, because it will be a challenge to remove in the spring.

:rofl: Sorry, thought that was funny. Like a boat with only 40 hrs a year hasn't had PLENTY of time for that particulate in the oil to settle.

I change the oil in the off season.... not right away usually. When I get around to it. At some point I'll want to sit in the boat with a shot & a beer. Could be November, December, January, etc. I bought the oil yesterday at Wallie World. Rotella was $12.

Anyone know when the Napa filter sale is?

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

As I have said before it is a motor just like in a car or truck can I set it up for the winter and then change the oil the next year YES. Now the water yes you need to get all the water out. I know its coming. :whistle:

Its never good to leave old oil in... :fingerwag: .... used oil has corrosive acid from combustion. It will also let the dirt, Carbon settle and adhered to your oil pan. Now when you change to new fresh oil the first thing it starts to do is clean so your nice clean oil is dirty as soon as you start to run.

If you love or even like your boat, car, truck, cycle, or what ever has a sump with oil then change it!

Yes, I do the engine oil/filter, trans and vdrive fluid. I figure get it all done now, then she is ready for the first spring run.... I usually hold off on the impeller until spring, it only takes about 10 mins to swap a new one in.

Yes, I do the engine oil/filter, trans and vdrive fluid. I figure get it all done now, then she is ready for the first spring run.... I usually hold off on the impeller until spring, it only takes about 10 mins to swap a new one in.

I do the same (well, except for v drive...) Get the old, dirty oil and water out of the engine, fresh oil and filter in, replace fuel filter, quick engine run to circulate the clean oil then put it away and connect the battery maintenance charger. Impeller goes in just before the new season. Been doing that for 15 years - works great.

Edited by GreenMan

:rofl: Sorry, thought that was funny. Like a boat with only 40 hrs a year hasn't had PLENTY of time for that particulate in the oil to settle.

I change the oil in the off season.... not right away usually. When I get around to it. At some point I'll want to sit in the boat with a shot & a beer. Could be November, December, January, etc. I bought the oil yesterday at Wallie World. Rotella was $12.

Anyone know when the Napa filter sale is?

I think its next week, 22nd

I think its next week, 22nd

Hehe, nice. I need to do the cart, the bike & the boat. Plus I'm sure the truck & my wife's car are comin up quick. Should take me a few Saturdays to get that done.

• 5 months later...