Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine knock

I am getting an engine knock when I put it in drive. It seems a little sluggish too. The spark plugs look fine, same with the wires, new cap and rotor as well, any ideas?

You may have a damper plate issue. I dont have one of those systems, but having lurked here a while, that's my bet.

Do a search on this site, from the upper right search engine- "damper plate upgrade" or something like that. I wouldn't drive it much till you figure out of this is it. When they go, they can send parts thru the bellhousing.

Good luck,

Steve B.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Engine knocking.... If that is truly what you are hearing, is pre-mature ignition due to engine heat and pressure vs the timed spark from the plug. Engine knocking is bad and it will certainly shorten engine life....compression test results will surely suffer if you don't solve it quickly.

Sometimes it can signal you need a tune up.

Sometimes it can be from cheapie low octane gas. Not sure how much gas you have left in the tank. But I would immediately put a couple bottles of octane booster in the tank and/or move up to 91 grade gas before running it again.

If the engine still knocks after that, you have much bigger issues.