Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teakgate

martinarcher

Some might not need it, but others might want it. I wanted it to display a true GPS speed on the boat that would allow me to calibrate the Perfect Pass speed as well. We all hear peoples wake/surf set-ups and speeds and also hear everyone asking if those speeds were verified by GPS....this one would be. I also wanted to keep tabs on how much current the Lenco's were drawing while they were running. The display also shows which gate is extending and then what side is surfing after it is deployed. If the rider/surfer is controlling the gates I thought it would be handy to have the display to indicate what is happening on the transom. The blinking LED can also give an indication the steering trim on the boat is going to change a bit as the gates transition from one side to the other. Another thing it can indicated is a system fault if the system detects excess current draw and extends the gate in question and locks the system out until reset (it would display an error message in this case).

Martin: The display looks great. Need to look at my boat and think about mounting options for the components. Am I correct that there are several components that need to be mounted:

1) The control box (the brains of the system). Can be hidden under dash?;

2) The switch to turn the system on and off, and to switch sides for surfing. Is this separate from the control box, or on the control box? Needs to be easily accessible.

3) The GPS puck - assuming this might need to be placed in the open, rather than hidden? On the dash under the windshield, or better not under glass?

4) The LED display pictured above. Thinking about putting this down by the driver's knee so that it is viewable, but not prominent. Thoughts?

Thanks for all your hard work. Rob

When I build mine out I'll be installing Perfect Pass at the same time. I'd like to make the display as integrated as possible. I may look into a custom gauge like you built. I think if I had to mount this thing now, I'd relocate my stereo and mount it under the arm rest.

Some might not need it, but others might want it. I wanted it to display a true GPS speed on the boat that would allow me to calibrate the Perfect Pass speed as well. We all hear peoples wake/surf set-ups and speeds and also hear everyone asking if those speeds were verified by GPS....this one would be. I also wanted to keep tabs on how much current the Lenco's were drawing while they were running. The display also shows which gate is extending and then what side is surfing after it is deployed. If the rider/surfer is controlling the gates I thought it would be handy to have the display to indicate what is happening on the transom. The blinking LED can also give an indication the steering trim on the boat is going to change a bit as the gates transition from one side to the other. Another thing it can indicated is a system fault if the system detects excess current draw and extends the gate in question and locks the system out until reset (it would display an error message in this case).

Okay, thanks...makes sense!

Thanks for the posts guys. I appreciate the feedback. Another thought I had was a RAM mount for the display. Let the end user decide what kind and buy it. Could be on the windshield glass or permanently mounted to the dash. Just another idea. Let me know what you guys think once you get a look at your dashes. :thumbup:

Martin: The display looks great. Need to look at my boat and think about mounting options for the components. Am I correct that there are several components that need to be mounted:

1) The control box (the brains of the system). Can be hidden under dash?;

2) The switch to turn the system on and off, and to switch sides for surfing. Is this separate from the control box, or on the control box? Needs to be easily accessible.

3) The GPS puck - assuming this might need to be placed in the open, rather than hidden? On the dash under the windshield, or better not under glass?

4) The LED display pictured above. Thinking about putting this down by the driver's knee so that it is viewable, but not prominent. Thoughts?

Thanks for all your hard work. Rob

1. Correct. The control box is the brains and needs to be within 2 meters (cable lengths) of the GPS puck, the LCD display, and the switches. The switch cable can easily be extended, but the other two would be more challenging (especially the GPS since it is fully potted).

2. Yep they are separate. There is a 2 meter cable that comes with the control system that will need terminated to two switches (one 3 way momentary to control the left right surf and another single rocker to control trailer/GPS mode).

3. The GPS puck should be able to be mounted under the dash without any issues as long as the dash is not mad of metal or has metal in it. It is also a 2 meter cable.

4. That would work. The LCD is to provide system status and could be mounted wherever you are comfortable.

To clarify, the box below has the ports in discussion. The left most port is the output to the Perfect Pass's paddle wheel input, the next port is the switch cable, the 3rd port from the left is the GPS input, the 4th from the left is the LCD screen. The two white cables are the power and actuator outputs (left and right respectively). The box will require a 30 amp power source.

20131021_205612_zpsdd1a7c99.jpg

I have mounted several GPS pucks under the surface of the dash (and under windshield). Try that before cutting any holes. In my experience, the extra 5-10 seconds it takes to lock position is worth the clean look. MUCH more important is to keep it away from other electronic interference.

Yep....this pic was taken a few minutes ago on my workbench in the basement. Locked onto 5 satellites. Sure it takes a bit longer to get a lock, but I agree, a clean install is probably worth it to most.

20131119_210529_zps7239468a.jpg

Matt:

First of all, this project is pure awesome.

I've got a few questions.

- If you've already got a GPS Perfect Pass system, would you need the additional puck? Or, can you tap into the PP information?

- To use the teakgate system, could you simply mount a regular accessory DPDT switch in a horizontal fashion for a "surf left - off - surf right" configuration?

- If you can use the PP GPS, could you eliminate the teakgate screen?

While I've followed this thread from the beginning, I've likely missed some posts and perhaps you've already explained these things. If so, then "my bad".

Thanks!

I can not wait until these are available! The screen is amazing and really cool geeky factor, but otherwise seems a little overkill. I would agree that a horizontal dipole switch and a couple led indicators on either side of the switch would suffice. Simple is always better for guest drivers.

That said I do have a perfect place to mount the display. Can the case back be screw mounted and then the guts and front snapped into place?

I also have one of these and it would probably hold the display in a non-permanent way too: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QRHZJK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks guys! As far as the questions....

Yep, a 3 way momentary rocker mounted sideways would be ideal to trigger the gates to run or switch sides.

- If you've already got a GPS Perfect Pass system, would you need the additional puck? Or, can you tap into the PP information?

Yes you will. The teakgate controller configures the GPS and is expecting a certain format of data coming from the GPS. This ensures the most reliable and dependable speed input.

- To use the teakgate system, could you simply mount a regular accessory DPDT switch in a horizontal fashion for a "surf left - off - surf right" configuration?

Yep. As long as it is a momentary switch that's right. By momentary, I mean the switch returns to the center "off" position when released.

- If you can use the PP GPS, could you eliminate the teakgate screen?

See above, but to be clear, the screen is entirely optional. It is not required to run the system. I just figured most would want it but it is certainly not needed to run the system. The controller, GPS, and switch is all you would need to get the system running.

That said I do have a perfect place to mount the display. Can the case back be screw mounted and then the guts and front snapped into place?

Right now I didn't design the case that way. The back of the case screws onto the front. I would imagine I could explore that. Any reason that would be easier than mounting the whole display as one piece?

ahopkins22LSV

Alright guys and gals....here's what I've been working on/testing for the past few weeks. Wireless gate control! :yahoo: I'm so pumped to have it done and tested. It makes the surf transition sssoooo much easier because you don't have to sync your timing with anyone in the boat. You just push the button when you want your wave to switch sides. The transmitter is in a waterproof armband with a clear front that lets you feel and see the buttons. I was wearing 4mm neoprene gloves (45 degree water) and was still easily able to run the system. In the video of me surfing I unstrap the armband from my arm part way through the video and strap it in the palm of my hand which was also a nice way to run it. The transmitter/armband also floats which is a huge plus. Here's a couple videos of it in action. It's been in the works for what seems like forever but it's finally finished!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAdU-P0oiGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VE1iQ-bdfw

Can't watch the videos yet, but I think it is safe to pre-maturely say AWESOME!! And like your post. :)

Alright guys and gals....here's what I've been working on/testing for the past few weeks. Wireless gate control! :yahoo: I'm so pumped to have it done and tested. It makes the surf transition sssoooo much easier because you don't have to sync your timing with anyone in the boat. You just push the button when you want your wave to switch sides. The transmitter is in a waterproof armband with a clear front that lets you feel and see the buttons. I was wearing 4mm neoprene gloves (45 degree water) and was still easily able to run the system. In the video of me surfing I unstrap the armband from my arm part way through the video and strap it in the palm of my hand which was also a nice way to run it. The transmitter/armband also floats which is a huge plus. Here's a couple videos of it in action. It's been in the works for what seems like forever but it's finally finished!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAdU-P0oiGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VE1iQ-bdfw

I repeat:

notworthy_zpsc5131823.gif

Hello Matt,

That's so cool!!! :thumbup:

I was also looking for a wireless remote for my system but I did not found anything on the net... Where did you find yours?

Thanks for your infos...

Mica