Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What type of OIL are you using?

wakerider22

Newby to V-drive's! Learning quickly tho! Just picked up a 2001 Malibu 23Lsv Indamar 365Hp about 6 weeks ago. The manual calls up for Pennzoil 15w-40 API SJ/CG4 in the engine & SAE 30 in the V-drive. My question is that why if i search this type of oil in any other brands. It comes up mostly as a diesel type oil? Is this the oil I should be using? All the spec.s are the same.

Im looking at using Amsoil synthetic heavy duty diesel & marine motor oil 15w-40 for engine

&

Amsoil's 10w-30/SAE30 Synthetic Heavy duty diesel oil for v-drive

Has anyone ever used this oil or is using this oil?

I just wanted to see what type of oils the crew was using?

P.S-Hopefully this doesn't start an oil brand war!

15w-40 is a popular weight spec for diesels, so most of the oil you will buy at local retailers will have a big picture of a diesel truck on the front. :-)

As long as the specs match, pick the brand you want IMO.

Enjoy the new boat!

-- Mike

Im looking at using Amsoil synthetic heavy duty diesel & marine motor oil 15w-40 for engine

&

Amsoil's 10w-30/SAE30 Synthetic Heavy duty diesel oil for v-drive

Has anyone ever used this oil or is using this oil?

I just wanted to see what type of oils the crew was using?

P.S-Hopefully this doesn't start an oil brand war!

I use the first oil in my boat, don't forget Amsoil ATF for the transmission.

Don't have a v-drive, but I would use the second oil if I did.

Edited by CumminsBu
  • Like 1

There are no more bad oils. Not even Walmart.

Especially if you are changing it on a regular basis. Any off the shelf oil in major outlets will meet the certifications. Find the cheapest 15w-40 you can.

I use Shell Rotella 15w-40 in the engine. The Walter V-Drives OEM manual calls for SAE 30 Heavy Duty non-detergent motor oil. Other resources do not specify non-detergent oil, but that is what I am using based on the Walter specification. I can only find that grade oil in an off brand at the local auto supply shops and Wal-Mart.

Valvoline Racing VR-1 5w20 for the warmer temp's down in Texas. I can usually get it for 5.49 a quart at Napa.

Why would you want to run a thinner weight in hot temps? That makes no sense at all.

• Like 1