Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Smelly Hammerhead 383

speedyalex

I have a 2005 Hammerhead 383 in the Sunscape 21. 260 hrs. I have owned the boat for 3 years and it is a great motor. My motor runs essentially perfect. The motor has what I would call a coarse or rough idle (always has) but as soon as the RPM's are above 1000-1200 very smooth. I always have assumed this idle is normal for the 383. However, this boat definitely has more exhaust smell than any other boat I have been in. It doesnt smell like raw gas but more like regular exhaust. I smell it even up on plane. I have stainless steel turn down exhaust pipes. Anyone with the Hammerhead have similar experience.? Perhaps running "rich"? Problem with choke? Should I have it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing? I'm not looking for a problem or a project just don't want to damage the motor?

Be sure you keep the oil changes up, you might try a rotor and cap along with new plugs to achieve a super smooth idle. If the engine had 900- 1500 hours on it you might be smelling oil blow by but your engine is basically new. Be sure that your blowers are running to exhaust the fumes from the engine area, smelling exhaust would be a very bad thing. Old fuel has a funny smell when running, if your use is pretty low per year, use the marine grade stabil product and treat your boat to some high octane Cheveron. If your engine has a carb verses injectors, over time carbs need new seals and the float level adjusted to ensure the proper amount of air/fuel is getting into the manifold. If the boat has ever sat for too long with old gas, gas turns to hard shellac and can gum up the internals of the carb that would create things like running rich and potentially smelling funny.

great time of the year to pull off a service.

I have the Hammerhead in a 06 247and there is some exhaust smell but mainly at surfing speeds. Cruising and idling not so much exhaust smell. I cleaned the trottle body and that seemed to help with some of the rich exhaust smell.

Get a fuel pressure gauge and check the fuel pressure (they lend them out at most auto part stores). There were several of us that had clogged fuel pressure regulator screens that cause high pressure and rich mixures. Granted, they have All been monsoons, but I'd be willing to be if you are actually running rich, it's the same problem. Let us know.

A quick and easy way to get an idea is to pull a spark plug and look at the tip. There are charts you can find that tell you /show you the difference of how they look (auto parts stores have charts or google spark plug wear chart). After that, if itI looks like your running rich, hook up the fuel pressure gauge if you know where your pressure is supposed to be when at idle/cruise/wot to verify.

99.9% sure you can go ahead and rule out carb and choke problems

What, not 100%? I think we can make that assumption since it's EFI.

A quick and easy way to get an idea is to pull a spark plug and look at the tip. There are charts you can find that tell you /show you the difference of how they look (auto parts stores have charts or google spark plug wear chart). After that, if itI looks like your running rich, hook up the fuel pressure gauge if you know where your pressure is supposed to be when at idle/cruise/wot to verify.

While that's not always accurate, when mine was running rich, there was a lot of carbon build-up. Some other symptoms I had was that it took longer to get up to temp, smelled bad, ate gas like crazy, and took about 2mph off the top end (as well as overall performance issues).

Fuel pressure on an 05 Hammerhead should be 58-62 across the board. See the regulator and pressure chart here.

Edited by Jimmypooh

What, not 100%? I think we can make that assumption since it's EFI.

I left .01 out there for that one in a billion chance that it is not a stock install and because I have not laid eyes on it., otherwise I agree.

While that's not always accurate, when mine was running rich, there was a lot of carbon build-up. Some other symptoms I had was that it took longer to get up to temp, smelled bad, ate gas like crazy, and took about 2mph off the top end (as well as overall performance issues).

Fully agree not always accurate, but it is something that just about anyone can check at any time (without even running the boat). I am just one that likes to start checking things as soon as I have an idea where to start, whether it is at midnight or daytime, especially if I don't have time to drop it in the water soon.

You will need to drop the boat in the water for the pressure gauge to be accurate, but you can check your idle pressure in your driveway.

Get a fuel pressure gauge and check the fuel pressure (they lend them out at most auto part stores). There were several of us that had clogged fuel pressure regulator screens that cause high pressure and rich mixures. Granted, they have All been monsoons, but I'd be willing to be if you are actually running rich, it's the same problem. Let us know.

One of my buddies has the 383 and his ran very rich all the time and idled rough. The fuel rail pressure was way too high and his dealer replaced the fuel pressure regulator. That solved his problem. His boat runs much better, and now the exhaust does not leave black soot all over the transom.

One of my buddies has the 383 and his ran very rich all the time and idled rough. The fuel rail pressure was way too high and his dealer replaced the fuel pressure regulator. That solved his problem. His boat runs much better, and now the exhaust does not leave black soot all over the transom.

Likely it was just the screen before the regulator that was the problem, but I couldn't find where to buy the screen without the whole regulator. Since the screen only protects the regulator, you can just clean the screen, or if you break yours like me you can just remove it all together.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the great advice. Yes I will check these things. Unfortunately, in Minnesota the boat is in hibernation already (snowed yesterday). This will make an interesting project for the spring. I certainly can analyze the spark plug tip and look at the fuel pressure regulator screen in the off season. I will follow-up with everyone.