Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any Texans? Amp(s) for heat concerns for 4 Rev 10s

SurfgateBob

All - we'll probably be moving back to Austin in a few years and want to make sure we have a stereo setup that will survive. The guys at earmark, my installer, and this list have convinced me the Rev 10s are the way to go.

Here are the amp options Earmark gave me (They are incredible, by the way). From most outrageous power to least outrageous.

2 x JL 750/1 Class HD, not fan cooled, much better S/N ratio & THD than wetsounds, full range, regulated 375W RMS output regardless of input voltage

http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/product.php?productid=16618

2x Wetsounds SYN4 - Class H, fan

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/SYN4.html

2x Wetsounds HT4 - Small, no fan, class D

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/HT4.html

1x Wetsounds Sinister - cheapest option, no fan, class D

http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/product.php?productid=17642&cat=301&page=2

Which setup is going to do the best in the heat? I figure the 2 JL or the 2 SYN4 are the best but would like to hear from this list. It also seems like the JL is the cleanest.

You gotta decide where YOU fall on the spectrum, not so much the gear. Once you figure that out, the rest is easy.

Evidently going 4 rev10s, you really want to go over the top. Any of those amps will get you there.

Prob top choice would be the single Fosgate T1000 for simplicity, followed by the dual Arc600s. I think more folks are running Arc than any other listed.... Great proven blend of performance and value.

I would go with the Arc Audio KS 600.2 or the WS Sinister amp. Each of these selections will power all 4 very well.

If money was not a concern, I'd see what the verdict was on the Sinister amp and run with one of those

You gotta decide where YOU fall on the spectrum, not so much the gear. Once you figure that out, the rest is easy.

Evidently going 4 rev10s, you really want to go over the top. Any of those amps will get you there.

Prob top choice would be the single Fosgate T1000 for simplicity, followed by the dual Arc600s. I think more folks are running Arc than any other listed.... Great proven blend of performance and value.

IMO - 250 watts per speaker is a little light for a Rev 10. I would personally want to be at 300 minimum. Also, that 1000.4 will go into thermal protect in the south when it is pushed to 2 ohms for extended periods of time.

This may help. BTW my amp puts out 318 RMS and I live in MS we rode all day a few times in 100+ temps. No problems. Not sure what Murphy is talking about on the 2 ohms it is at 4 ohms but he may know something I don't. Some people have said you need a very high RMS on the Rev 10.

This may help. BTW my amp puts out 318 RMS and I live in MS we rode all day a few times in 100+ temps. No problems. Not sure what Murphy is talking about on the 2 ohms it is at 4 ohms but he may know something I don't. Some people have said you need a very high RMS on the Rev 10.

http://www.themalibu.../page__hl__xm9s

Too many beers when posting :) You are correct and I should have known that that us a 4 channel amp and it be will do fine in the TX heat.

• Like 1

I would go with the Arc Audio KS 600.2 or the WS Sinister amp. Each of these selections will power all 4 very well.

If money was not a concern, I'd see what the verdict was on the Sinister amp and run with one of those

Did you have your boat installed by Earmark? I think it's the one in the pictures they sent me! Sick setup!

Yeah, I'm looking at that one but am concerned that it doesn't have a fan... Also may be slightly underpowered when voltage drops away from 14V. The JBL and 2x syn 4 seem to be the most powerful/safest options. Together they're actually more expensive than the Sinister, but only by $200 or so.

Looks like the KS 600.2 would for sure do it as well as having a fan. Bigger in size. Do you run at 4 ohm or 2?

2 Channels @ 4 Ohms-400 Watts2 Channels @ 2 ohms600 Watts1 Channel @ 4 Ohms (Bridged)1200 Watts1 Channel @ 2 Ohms (Bridged)Not RecommendedFrequency Response5Hz - 50kHzCrossover Range55Hz - 5.5kHz VariableBass Boost+15dB @ 45HzS/N Ratio112dBInput Sensitivity (Low)200ma - 3.5VMax Current Draw130A @ 1300 Watts 1% THDFuse4 x 30 AmpIdle Current2.5 AmpDimensions15.5"(L) x 8.0"(W) x 2.375"(H)

The KS600.2 can be run at 2 or 4 ohms.

In parallel with two pair to run at 2 ohms, two amps one speaker per channel to run @ 4 ohms.

Y do they always have to go right over my head. LOL

The Arc Audio Amp has a fan and it is probably one of the best designed amps on the market for cooling.

I run a 300.4 at the hardest level it will take - 4 ohm bridged...never once has it gone into thermal.

To the OP, keep in mind that as far as stress on the amp goes, running a four channel amp like the syn4 or its cousin the arc ks300.4 bridged to two speakers is THE SAME THING as running a ks600.2 with two speakers per channel (four speakers total on a single amp) for a 2 ohm load.

If your being advised that a syn4 bridged will hold up in Texas, I'd have no qualms about a ks600.2, and certainly no worries about going overkill with two ks600.2s. Way more headroom than two bridged syn4s, and two ks600.2s in NorCal probably cheaper to boot given arc's saturation in the area.

To the OP, keep in mind that as far as stress on the amp goes, running a four channel amp like the syn4 or its cousin the arc ks300.4 bridged to two speakers is THE SAME THING as running a ks600.2 with two speakers per channel (four speakers total on a single amp) for a 2 ohm load.

If your being advised that a syn4 bridged will hold up in Texas, I'd have no qualms about a ks600.2, and certainly no worries about going overkill with two ks600.2s. Way more headroom than two bridged syn4s, and two ks600.2s in NorCal probably cheaper to boot given arc's saturation in the area.

I'm definitely going to go with two amps. Looks like 2 Arc ks600.2 are the same price as 2 WS SYN 4. I'm still intrigued by the JBL750/1 regulated amp... but again, no fan.

The Arc amps are a little bigger than the SYN4. But have far superior SN ratio and a better frequency response if I ever want to drive a sub with one of them.

Arc ks6002. Specs:

2 Channels @ 4 Ohms- 400 Watts 2 Channels @ 2 ohms 600 Watts 1 Channel @ 4 Ohms (Bridged) 1200 Watts 1 Channel @ 2 Ohms (Bridged) Not Recommended Frequency Response 5Hz - 50kHz Crossover Range 55Hz - 5.5kHz Variable Bass Boost +15dB @ 45Hz S/N Ratio 112dB Input Sensitivity (Low) 200ma - 3.5V Max Current Draw 130A @ 1300 Watts 1% THD Fuse 4 x 30 Amp Idle Current 2.5 Amp Dimensions 15.5"(L) x 8.0"(W) x 2.375"(H)

Description Value Downloads (in PDF format) Stereo @ 4 Ohms 125 x 4 watts RMS pdf.png User Manual Stereo @ 2 Ohms 200 x 4 watts RMS Mono @ 4 Ohms 400 x 2 watts RMS s/n ratio @ 1 watt > 89 dB Frequency Response 10 Hz - 50 KHz Transient Distortion < .01% @ 4 Ohms Input Sensitivity 0.6 V - 6.0 V Input Impedance 20K Ohms Bass Boost +15 dB @ 45 Hz Front Crossover HP/LP 55 Hz - 550 Hz Dimensions Inches ( L x W x H ) 13" x 8" x 2 3/8"

JL 750/1 has almost the same SN ratio and ridiculously low THD and is much smaller than the Arc. No fan, but very very tempting.

Features and Specs Performance Features RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels) 750 x 1 Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels) N/A Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels) 750 x 1 Bridged Power (Watts x Channels) N/A Minimum Impedance Bridged N/A Minimum Impedance Unbridged 1.5 Best Frequency Response 6-30k Hz THD at Rated RMS Power 0.03% Signal to Noise Ratio 111 dB Input Voltage 14.5v Amplifier Class HD Low-Pass Crossover Frequency 50-500 Hz Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave) 12/24 dB High-Pass Crossover Frequency 50-500 Hz High-Pass Slope (dB/octave) 12/24 dB Bass Boost No Bass Boost Frequency N/A Fan Cooled No Fuse Rating 60 Speaker Level Inputs RCA (adapter req) Preamp Outputs 1 pair Width (inches) 8-13/16 Height (inches) 1-15/16 Depth (inches) 10-13/16 Parts Warranty 2 Years Labor Warranty 2 Years

So why do you need to run a pair of KS 600.2's when one will power the 4 rev 10's just fine?

Now I'm lost how. 1 channel at 1200 that would give you 300 per. But I would think that would be working the amp really had.

This is what I really don't understand bkrentler the max RMS is 300 on the speakers and you are looking at going over that. It just sounds like TROUBLE to me. That is why I picked a amp that said 250 RMS and was known for doing a little better in the real world. Now with that said I wouldn't want to go any less than 250 RMS. I'm not trying to sell you my amp just saying you are talking about 400 RMS on a 300 max RMS speaker. But you say well I never plan on running my speakers wide open. You never said that I'm talking in my 3rd person :crazy: . Then you are wake boarding and a friend turns it all the way up. I did all my own install and built the system from the ground up knowing nothing about systems when I started so I only know a little but a lot if you know what I mean. When I first put the system together the amps still needed tuning so I cut it way down till I could take it to a pro (not me). They cranked the amp up and I help (my baby I had to help) :bash: . So I cranked on the radio 100%. They were like you will burn the speakers up so I said turn the amp down till I can. I never plan on having the radio over 80%. But I can't take the chance that someone else want when I am riding. The speakers do cost like +/- $3000 all speakers. With a little fine tuning the system sounds great at about 65% in the boat and at 80ft on the rope. I'm just trying to help make sure you don't over do it and be out +/- $3000. Good luck man I'm sure its going to ROCK :rockon:

So why do you need to run a pair of KS 600.2's when one will power the 4 rev 10's just fine?

Well, heat mostly. And I think it would still be underpowered since that assumes perfect input voltage.

Hm. The guys at earmark are recommending the rms options that are higher than 300. Gotta be that the speakers can take it or the amps don't actually put out as much as they say. I'll have to ask them about that.

I strongly doubt that you'll be able to hear the difference between one ks600.2 or two. Or 300w vs 400. Maybe under perfect conditions but probably not behind the boat.

I know I've not been able to tell.

Hm. The guys at earmark are recommending the rms options that are higher than 300. Gotta be that the speakers can take it or the amps don't actually put out as much as they say. I'll have to ask them about that.

You've got the best in the business spec'ing out your system. Trust the folks at Earmark, period.

Speaker manufactures typically publish a continuous watts (stated as RMS) and a peak wattage spec. RMS is a target wattage to shoot for when choosing an amp to drive the speakers. A little less then RMS is ok, but more watts then speaker's RMS rating is almost always better. Driving a speaker at its peak watts spec is not always necessary. I can assure you that the amps Earmark has recommend will deliver their rated watts RMS and more.