Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sportster surgeing at high RPM

Guest hissy402

Guest hissy402

Hi.

First time on. I have just bought a 2000 Sportster with the carb indmar 310. The boat starts and runs great until about 3000 rpm, at which point it will lose power back to about 1200rpm and then surge back and forth until the power is reduced to below 3000rpm. My first thought is fuel starvation so I've changed the spin on fuel filter. The old one had a bit of crap in it but nothing over the top. I'm yet to get back on the water to check the problem but was wondering if there are any suggestions out there if this fails. It's staring to warm uphere in Aus so I'm keen to ge it sorted.

On another topic can anyone give me advice as to how to get into the instrument cluster to check the five point plug on my fuel gauge.(not working at all!) Just not sure how to get the dash apart.

Cheers.

sounds like the ecm is limiting the rpm because it thinks the engine temp has not reached operating temperature.

engine temp sending unit may need to be swapped out.

there may be two ect sending units; one for the analog gauge and another for the ecm.

iirc, the gauges on the dash can be accessed by spinning out the two screws in the billit 'malibu' emblem and the fuel sending unit can be accessed under the ski locker floor.

I'd change the fuel water separator, clean the inlet screens in the carb, and check the fuel quality. If nothing helps I'd rebuild the carb.

This is a carb'd boat, is has no ECM.

I'd change the fuel water separator, clean the inlet screens in the carb, and check the fuel quality. If nothing helps I'd rebuild the carb.

isn't there an rpm limit until some threshold of engine temp on a carb rig?

i thought i remembered that from my '99 sportster days.

or is that rpm limiting only on boats w injection/ecm?

Guest hissy402

Thanks, Where are the inlet screens for the carb located? Is there also a screen before the fuel pump.

Guest hissy402

I had the same symtoms on my 95 response. The dealer said it was a "clogged screen" on the fuel pump inlet.

Thanks for the tip. I took out the screen on the inlet side of the fuel pump and it was so clogged I'm surprised she was getting to 3000 rpm. No doubt about the value in a resource like the Crew.