Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tachometer not working

Just noticed that the tachometer on my 23LSV is not working. The Perfect Pass seems to work, but the needle does not move. Has anyone experienced this? Not sure if it's a fuse or just stuck.

Personally, I would just swap it out for the newer dual line PP gauge for $200. Then if you want to upgrade to a Stargazer setup later, you will be 1/2 way there.

Had same problem on my 03....upgraded to PP multi-line display for $199 (and thinking now about upgrading to Stargazer in the Spring). www.perfectpass.com/?q=displays

New gauge is much better...only drawback is that the display is very bright if boating at night. I usually throw a towel over it.

It's a 2004 and is a combo.

it's not a big job.

if repairing doesn't end up w the results you want that $200 replacement is easy.

www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14759-2003-lxi-tach-wpp-analog-part-died-but-pp-works-fine/

Edited by tvano

just bought a 23 lsv (2007) tach was always buried past the end and when at idle was around 5k rpm.

would have liked to investigate more on how to fix it, but just ended up having the dealer replace the whole tach.

yeah... since you already have perfect pass. I may be wrong since its been a few years, but I think they included a "chip" upgrade to make the multi line work. It is a simple install into the control module. There is a cheap little tool to pull out the old one (a few bucks at Radio Shack I think), then pop in the new one.

PP has pretty good customer service. I'm sure they'd answer all your questions for you.

Edited by davemac
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I have a 2000 Response LX. The Tach doesn't work and I'm thinking of replacing it. Will the hour meter be affected if I swap it out???

Edited by Responsive

I have a 2000 Response LX. The Tach doesn't work and I'm thinking of replacing it. Will the hour meter be affected if I swap it out???

The hour meter in the tach will start over at zero, but the hour meter in the ECM should remain unaffected.

Just so you know there are other possibilities...I had a tach that didn't work but it turned out to be the MDC. Only symptom was non functioning tach. Luckily it was within the first 5 years so it was under warranty. I had the dealer send me a new tach but that didn't fix it, but the MDC he sent next solved the issue.