Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 season start thread

skisix@38

Biggrin.gif Season started yesterday!!!!!! Oh, it felt so good to be out again. Water was probably around 43 and the air was a very appreciated 68. We got the course in and took some rides.

Have you gotten out yet?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lakenut

• Malibudude

• NorCaliBu

• skisix@38

Really happy for you.... I guess.

Still 2' of ice up here! Cry.gif

At least nother 6-8 weeks at the earliest.

3 day Table Rock weekend coming up next weekend...was supposed to hit it today around town but the weather sucks today. Water temp at the rock should be mid 50's by now :)

If the wind cooperates we will be hittin' the water this afternoon. I expect similar conditions. Water in the mid to high 40s and air in the low 70s.

The boat is all cleaned up, new fuel filters, hoses connected, battery charged...All I need to do is stop by the gas station for go juice.

Anyone have advice for sub 50 water? Not that I really need it. Just trying to up the courage and minimize the thought of that cold chill down the back of the wetsuit. 45 degrees isn't all that cold....right? :blush:

By the way, who is going to be first to hop in the drink w/o a wetsuit in really cold water?(You Floridian Bu owners shut up!) Be honest. Let us know about the conditions.

Edwin, You are a true optimist! TR is not that far south. Crazy.gif

Edited by Lakenut
Biggrin.gif Season started yesterday!!!!!! Oh, it felt so good to be out again. Water was probably around 43 and the air was a very appreciated 68. We got the course in and took some rides.

Have you gotten out yet?

It's depressing enough up here with winter still hanging on, the boat still at the dealer, no more accessories that Mrs. Mission will let me buy and no football that I have to do things like home remodeling. Frustrated.gif Hope to get out by the end of the month so I can be ready for the clinic in May.

Greg: You still going to bring up some Carbonworx demo's for us, I need a new stick and that is one I'am constiering along with the D3 X5.

Ditto w/hyperlitenerd. We were out on our new boat in February, but even in So Cal, the weather has sucked the last few weeks ... that and I'm still waiting on my stereo install. Hopefully we'll be out again in a week or two. I still need to bond with the new ride!

Ditto w/hyperlitenerd. We were out on our new boat in February, but even in So Cal, the weather has sucked the last few weeks ... that and I'm still waiting on my stereo install. Hopefully we'll be out again in a week or two. I still need to bond with the new ride!

By "the weather has sucked the last few weeks" do you mean it was only 65* and breezy???

Here in SF bay area we had snow in the foothills. (<2000 ft) It's COLD!

Tongue.gif

just kiddin'

I'm frustrated!

Pat

By "the weather has sucked the last few weeks" do you mean it was only 65* and breezy???

Tongue.gif

just kiddin'

I'm frustrated!

Pat

Yeah, yeah ... you have to take my weather descriptions with a grain of salt ... My idea of good weather is 105 degree air temp and 84 water temp ... desert lakes rule!

Tongue.gif

just kiddin'

I'm frustrated!

Pat

Yeah, yeah ... you have to take my weather descriptions with a grain of salt ... My idea of good weather is 105 degree air temp and 84 water temp ... desert lakes rule!

<sarcasm\ well you know us californias anything under 50 we just stay inside, its too cold to go out, so we just have to stay inside and wait for the cold to pass \sarcasm>

But it has been really miserable here, in the 40s, windy, raining most of the days out of the week. If it is sunny and not windy on a weekend ill go out, seeing how my lake was 60 the last time we rode Innocent.gif

I guess us Floridians must be spoiled. It has been in the 80's all week. Not a cloud in the sky today. I call it Chamber Of Commerce weather. I had friends out this weekend. I had honeydew lists this weekend. Water temps are in the 60's

We hit -20 last week & we've had 14" of snow in the last 7 days. It would take half a day with a medium size loader just to get the door open on the shop where the boat is stored. With a bit of luck we'll be on the water in under 3 months.

We have had the weather to ride alot so far this year. But my dang work schedule has not cooperated at all. I hope that will change soon.

We did manage to get out today despite the weather-guesser's incorrect prediction of light winds. Water was 47 and the air was in the low 70s. Not too bad with a full suit.

We're about to get hit pretty hard in the next hour or so. It's been like this for a few weeks. The season, though never ended for many of us, might still be a few days away.

Got out again today to get a couple more rides!!!! Wahoo! I was thinking earlier today that getting out would reduce the soreness and put me in a better position to actually produce at work tomorrow. Right now as I sit comfortably on the couch I question my earlier wisdom. I am sore, as expected, but it's a good sore earned.

No pictures GT, even if I had remembered the camera, I didn't, I wouldn't have published pictures of my skiing. The clinics would have been called off and you guys would never listen to me again after seeing my attempt at skiing. I missed a dock start that ended up getting me more wet than any deep water start ever did, much to the pleasure of my ski buddies who ribbed me for the rest of the day. I did however run 34/22 right after that for my first ride of the year, then I ran 3 other passes just to back it up. I thought 22 off was hard to do so I shortened up to 28 off and those felt a lot better. Those were fun and I felt like I knew what was going to happen next. We got to play around with the new PP display and it is what it is. The new menu structure isn't intuitive to me at all but, I think that will come with time. The pull feels the same.

I was surprised by how quickly the ski wanted to turn back in and at how little I had to do to get it to ride smoothly. It wasn't until I started trying to turn it that I got all wet. I was able to quickly remember what I tell all who listen, to keep elbows in and reach out slowly. That's what I'll be working on for the next 5-10 sets, I was feeling good enough to run a few 32's though. Sometimes I just "feel the need for speed" to coin a phrase.

What a fun time.

edited for typo's.....

Edited by skisix@38

Got out on Friday Feb 24th & Sat Feb 25th. Yahoo.gif Got to ride the new stick. Yahoo.gif

Didn't get out at all this week-end... :( ...weather in Nor Cal sux right now.

Been working out in my new weight-room all winter...it was very cool to take that first ski of the season and not be sore afterward. Thumbup.gif

I got our new VLX in the water for the first time this past weekend(breaking it in). I considered breaking out the wakeboard, but my pesky sense of self preservation got in the way. The water was 46*, air was in the 53-57ish range, and I don't have a wetsuit. I ordered a full 3/2 wetsuit which shipped today though. I plan to get my first ride behind the new boat in next weekend.

-Philip

Got out again today to get a couple more rides!!!! Wahoo! I was thinking earlier today that getting out would reduce the soreness and put me in a better position to actually produce at work tomorrow. Right now as I sit comfortably on the couch I question my earlier wisdom. I am sore, as expected, but it's a good sore earned.

No pictures GT, even if I had remembered the camera, I didn't, I wouldn't have published pictures of my skiing. The clinics would have been called off and you guys would never listen to me again after seeing my attempt at skiing. I missed a dock start that ended up getting me more wet than any deep water start ever did, much to the pleasure of my ski buddies who ribbed me for the rest of the day. I did however run 34/22 right after that for my first ride of the year, then I ran 3 other passes just to back it up. I thought 22 off was hard to do so I shortened up to 28 off and those felt a lot better. Those were fun and I felt like I knew what was going to happen next. We got to play around with the new PP display and it is what it is. The new menu structure isn't intuitive to me at all but, I think that will come with time. The pull feels the same.

I was surprised by how quickly the ski wanted to turn back in and at how little I had to do to get it to ride smoothly. It wasn't until I started trying to turn it that I got all wet. I was able to quickly remember what I tell all who listen, to keep elbows in and reach out slowly. That's what I'll be working on for the next 5-10 sets, I was feeling good enough to run a few 32's though. Sometimes I just "feel the need for speed" to coin a phrase.

What a fun time.

edited for typo's.....

I"ll ad my .02 cents. Skisix did miss the dock start but so did everyone who tried. I missed two or three deep water starts--par for the course. Maybe I should go back to two skiis until I can get up consistently. Saturday was a bit windy but warm. Sunday was cooler but less wind. On both days, the water was a bit chilly. Skiing was a blast--as long as you kept from falling. Talk about brain freeze....

I missed two or three deep water starts--par for the course. Maybe I should go back to two skiis until I can get up consistently.

That's just 'cause Greg's got you riding that deathtrap, but using two of them will only get expensive Biggrin.gif