Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat winch replacement

Steve B.

I'm looking for advice or recommendations for a replacement boat hand winch.

I've seen lots with cables, they seem to have higher load ratings. But, almost everyboat I've seen has the strap type.

Also, wondering about a good load rating for a winch. For example, is 1200 lbs good enough or should I get one capable of the full weight of the boat? And, does a 2 speed help?

Thanks in advance,

Steve B.

why not drive/power it onto the trailer....I know there was the tastes great...less filling debate a few months ago...but as long as the bunks are wet, drop the trailer intot the water until the tip of the fender is just above the water and slider her home!

Ya still need a good winch winch and strap, but let the boat do the work...

My extreme trailer winch is not worthy, so I would like a bigger winch. I know there are eight ways to load the boat on the trailer, but my winch is still lame. Anyone replace with something better?

I think the factory winch on my Extreme trailer was 1200lbs with a 6" crank handle, this one took two hands to crank the Response to the bow stop. I upgraded to a Dutton Lainson DL 1602A winch. It has a 1600lbs pull and a 12" crank handle. Now it only takes one handle to

pull the Response to the bow stop. The install used all the factory holes on the trailer for an easy wasp.

http://www.dutton-lainson.com/proddetail.php?prod=14527

I wrecked my original 2 speed one and replaced it with the fulton 1600 lb winch... I miss my old one to be honest (except for the now missing teeth), I'd spring for one with the extra gear reduction.

And depending on the angle of the ramp, powerloading just doesn't work on some trailers. Also power-loading on gravel launches just ruts them out so you get a nice big gravel pile behind it to ding a prop on next time..

why not drive/power it onto the trailer....I know there was the tastes great...less filling debate a few months ago...but as long as the bunks are wet, drop the trailer intot the water until the tip of the fender is just above the water and slider her home!

Ya still need a good winch winch and strap, but let the boat do the work...

Careful where you power load. It's illegal on many WA state owned ramps due to the damage it does to the ramp. If it's a dirt or sand ramp, it blows out a ton of material behind the boat into a big pile about 10' or 15' back. On a short/narrow concrete ramp the turbulance blows the dirt from under the concrete slab, builds the bilg pile & then the concrete slab breaks. Then the big pile eats props as the water level drops later in the summer.

The above problems have happened in some pretty popular ramps that many of us use here in WA ..... Sunland & Desert Aire on the Columbia & Lake Sammamish State Park.

I'm still using the stock winch on my Extreme trailer. Seems to be doing OK so far.

Also, consider installing a real safety strap/cable on the trailer to the bow ring. It amazes me how many trailers I see that don't have one. I had a winch implode on my MC trailer when I drove over a big bump.... guess it wasn't really meant to hold all that.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I think the factory winch on my Extreme trailer was 1200lbs with a 6" crank handle, this one took two hands to crank the Response to the bow stop. I upgraded to a Dutton Lainson DL 1602A winch. It has a 1600lbs pull and a 12" crank handle. Now it only takes one handle to

pull the Response to the bow stop. The install used all the factory holes on the trailer for an easy wasp.

http://www.dutton-la....php?prod=14527

I am also in need, mostly cuz mine is rusty and the reverse clip does not engage easily, making me nervous about it disengaging. Does this winch include the strap and clip?

http://www.dutton-la....php?prod=14527

any issues with the longer winch handle clearing the boat and the bow stop as you crank it around?

I put the fulton f2 (2000 lb version) on my trailer (previous was a 1500lb fulton) and it's no comparison. Best upgrade of the year. This thing has crazy cranking force.

I was actually going through winch straps on the old winch because the strap would rub on the exposed metal of the reel. Eventually the strap would start to fray and split at the rub (we trailer a lot of miles). The f2 winch has plastic covering the rub spot and so far so good, no fraying.

Thanks for the advice folks. I'm going with a 2000lb fulton.

From what I've read, a winch's rating is good for pulling at double it's rating, as long as it's not a straight lift.

I toyed with the idea of an electric winch. Some are quite affordable.

Steve B.

Thanks for the advice folks. I'm going with a 2000lb fulton.

From what I've read, a winch's rating is good for pulling at double it's rating, as long as it's not a straight lift.

I toyed with the idea of an electric winch. Some are quite affordable.

Steve B.

I liked the 2000 pound Fulton, but then I found the 3200 pound Two Speed Fulton, its overkill, but I think it would be fun to lazily crank in the boat with one hand and no real effort, at the redneck boat ramp.

http://www.etrailer....FW32000101.html

Edited by Bozboat

I liked the 2000 pound Fulton, but then I found the 3200 pound Two Speed Fulton, its overkill, but I think it would be fun to lazily crank in the boat with one hand and no real effort, at the redneck boat ramp.

http://www.etrailer....FW32000101.html

unless you have a 247, my experience says the 2k winch will do just that for you. My boat is prolly heavier than any bu but the 24' ers and in low even my 96lb son can winch the boat up tight. And I don't even have the handle mounted at its longest position on the arm.

unless you have a 247, my experience says the 2k winch will do just that for you. My boat is prolly heavier than any bu but the 24' ers and in low even my 96lb son can winch the boat up tight. And I don't even have the handle mounted at its longest position on the arm.

$135 plus $15 to ship vs. $158 and free shipping, so for 8 bucks....