Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat winch replacement

Steve B.

I ended up ordering this (Fulton 2100 lb) last night..... http://www.etrailer.com/p-FT21000301.html . Plenty of capacity for my boat and reasonable price.

Was ready to spring for the F2, than realized I would have issues mounting it to the plate on my trailer.

Etrailer shipped it within about an hour of me placing my order...should have it Thursday.

Right on. Did you go with the same 3.2k Fulton Boz used? BTW you guys are killing me.....trying so hard to to order a new winch!

With my winch upgrade I can winch my boat up on the trailer one handed without getting winded, the sight of me doing that with my skinny arms has kept many other ramp monkeys from taking their shirts off.

I would not buy the two speed version after mine blew up. it's overly complicated and unnecessary unless you sometimes have to manually winch out on a 40* ramp. Single speed is plenty.

I would not buy the two speed version after mine blew up. it's overly complicated and unnecessary unless you sometimes have to manually winch out on a 40* ramp. Single speed is plenty.

Kind of what I suspected. Just seems like the adjustable handle length is what is what gives the most bang for the buck.

Thanks Shawn. I think I might do this upgrade this winter.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 6/3/2013 at 5:51 AM, shawndoggy said:

Well so much for my Fulton F2. Went kaboom at the boat ramp yesterday. The cog on the handle lost a tooth, which managed to rattle around in the works until it ate or cracked everything else. When fully disassembled on the cranking side there is just enough of a "flat" on the bottom of the crank spindle for my 8" crescent wrench to get a precarious bite and crank a little. Managed to get the boat on with that and a very deep trailer, and then did a 5 mph emergency stop in the parking lot to slide the boat up another inch and a half or so (aside: scary how easy that was!).

Here's a pic of reassembly of the mangled parts for the drive home.

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz166/shawndoggy/null_zpsdf7c16f8.jpg

Super thread dredge… how is the track record on the 2speed winches these days?

I installed a Fulton F2 3200 lb a few years ago when my single speed failed. I do not power load and have a very shallow ramp. I trailer every weekend so it gets a lot of use. No problems. I usually winch about 4-6’ and change gears the last 6-12”. 

Edited by lonestar
9 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Mine is fine, but I only use low gear.  Normally pull 3 feet or less, no power load.

Edited by oldjeep
10 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Mine would slip into neutral when pressed into service and then release.   But then so did the next two, so it may just be me.

Edited by Bozboat

Just installed this on my boat this morning. Testing tomorrow. 
You’ll need 3—- 3/8” x4 1/2” carriage bolts on a new 2022 trailer with a 3” box frame where the current winch mounts. Hth 

Just loaded the boat up. Definite game changer. I very rarely power load and mostly winch on.

High gear until the last 1ft. Then low gear up to the roller. Piece of cake but you do crank it more but it’s easy.    

• Like 3