Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat's Anniversary

bcoppess23

Two years ago to the day, I picked up my first boat. I remember the dealer had hid the boat at the shop to prevent me from seeing it as soon as I got there. He wanted to see my excitement when I saw it for the first time.. and probably get the paperwork finished before I hooked up and drove away! It was a great day and the saying is, life just begins when you buy a Malibu. They have been right so far!

How many of you remember the day you picked up your boat? When is your Boat's Anniversary and were you like a kid in the candy store when you picked it up?

post-15117-0-82635900-1349805418_thumb.j

• Like 1

Excited and cold. Dealer wanted me to pick up boat in late Feb. I told him to wait till ice was out so I could take a test ride. I was 100+ miles from dealer. That took till May 1 in 2003, daytime highs on delivery date, 35*. Took delivery on May 3rd after they unplugged my oil pressure warning switch to fix the alarm I was getting during test ride. Doubted they even started the boat before that ride. This was my first new boat in 33 years, Still have and use my 1970 boat.

Edited by electricjohn

Two years ago to the day, I picked up my first boat. I remember the dealer had hid the boat at the shop to prevent me from seeing it as soon as I got there. He wanted to see my excitement when I saw it for the first time.. and probably get the paperwork finished before I hooked up and drove away! It was a great day and the saying is, life just begins when you buy a Malibu. They have been right so far!

How many of you remember the day you picked up your boat? When is your Boat's Anniversary and were you like a kid in the candy store when you picked it up?

7 days will be our 2 year anniversary! great day. we bought used, so I remember spending hours haggling. if I don't spend 1/2 a day negotiating price, I'll think I got ripped off :innocent:

It was also our first boat, so I was a little nervous trailing it back 2 hours, but super gitty to get behind her in the lake and ride for the first time behind MY boat!

Edited by augie09

My current boat - December 2008 - I just finished a 13 hour drive to Arkansas and 13 hours back (marathon style) to pick up a buddies new boat ('04 23LSV). It was around 1am after driving thru blowing/drifting snow and closed highways by the time we got home. In order to put his new boat in the garage we had to remove his old boat, which was now my new boat ('94 Echelon lx). I did that and trailered it to our warehouse (heated) at 2am. Spent another 1.5 hours dousing it with copious water to remove all salt residue. Home by 4am.

I was literally back at 8am to go and stare at my new boat with coffee. It was all beat up, and clearly a project boat....but I finally had an inboard. It felt great.

• Like 2

My parents have always had an I/O, but I decided it was time for me to get a boat. It was the second weekend in Oct 2008 when I picked up my Tige. Drove 5 hours to Paso Robles, CA to pick it up from a dealer who acquired it as a trade in. The owner of the dealer was an absolute ::::D but I haggled him down to 8K cash out the door. I had some errands to run that day in San Luis Obispo, so I told him I would pick it up at 4PM before they closed at 5PM. I got there at 4:10, the dealer was locked up and the boat was sitting in the parking lot, so I figured what ever lets get on the road and get home.

I hooked up the boat with a sh$t eating grin, and checked the lights. Brakes and turn signals worked, running lights did not :(. It was going to be dark in about 2 hours, and driving hwy 5 without running lights would be scary. I called the dealer's cell phone, but he ignored the call. So I drove to the nearest Napa and bought a multi meter and began trouble shooting. Found a bad ground an hour later and was on our way.

I'm happy to say that the next year when I drove past the dealer on my way to San Luis Obispo, they were out of business....hmmmm.....I wonder why?

Its been 4 years and the only thing that has given me grief so far is that damn trailer. My trailer now sits in my garage full time.

Edited by Joeprunc

5/18/11- Drove from Cincinnati to Tulsa non-stop down and back. I was so excited that to get down there, I made it in 9 hours, but forgot a trailer hitch :whistle: After a quick trip to the local NAPA store, we were on our way back to Cincy.

I was gone for 28 hours and was so exhausted by the time that I got back, I didn't even remove the trailer from my truck. Backed her in and went straight to bed.

It was a long and tiring drive, but totally worth it in the end!

That is a beautiful boat. You have good taste in color choices.

Thanks Steve and Ruffdog! Needless to say, when I got home from work yesterday, I made it priority to go to the garage, uncover her and sit and enjoy her for a few tunes. Too bad I didn't have a cold one near by to enjoy as well.

The rest have great posts as well.. bring a smile to my face. It is a great feeling to know others have the same passion for this hobby!

March 11th 2006 was the pickup date. Here is our iRide in the parking lot of "The Edge" in Portage. The four of us in the boat and our dog (Murphy) standing on the ground looking up at us. You can still see some of the shrink wrap up near the front of the boat. This isn't our trailer, by the way. If I remember the trailer didn't come in for another week or so. We didn't take it home since it was too cold to put it in the water anyway, but we couldn't wait to see it.

post-1563-0-60682900-1349923764_thumb.jp

Edited by CedarLakeSkier

Bought mine this June went from cincinati to Florida. Spent one night and brought it home. Worried pulling at 1 am with tires and bearings being my first thought. Made it all the way home with no problems. Not been a year but something i will never forget

April 15th 2010. I was looking for a project boat I could work on since I couldn't really afford a decent inboard at the time (and still probably can't but I make it work). I had a couple in mind in the $3-4k range, and was getting ready to make a 1000 mile round trip for a Mastercraft. I decided to just browse my local craigslist and found a 94 Flightcraft about 30 minutes away with 150 hours for $7k. I asked for pictures and didn't hear back for like a week, then finally heard back and the boat looked like it was in mint condition. I kept having trouble getting in touch with the guy, so finally just setup a time to see it and was planning on buying it then and there. Problem was I didn't have $7k. So I hurried and put my GSXR up for sale, sold it to a guy who nickle and dimed me for an hour on it, but I didn't care because it got me enough $$ for my new boat. I saved this boat; the guy I bought it from just used it as a fishing boat, and apparently not very often.

I remember going to the dealer in June or July of 2007 and looking at the boats he had. Mine was sitting in the showroom along with the others. Since it is a Sunscape, it had no tower from the factory. I kind of liked it at the time with no tower. We left and didn't return until September 2007. The boat was still there, but I still hadn't convinced my wife 100% that we NEEDED a new boat...lol. Left without the boat again. This time we didn't return until May 2008. The boat was still there, but now it had an Illusion X tower on it. It looked a lot better and was now marked down considerably since it was a hold over from the previous year. I had finally convinced my wife we needed a new boat and she gave me the green light. We looked at the boat 2 more times and then began haggling with the dealer on price. I got him quite a ways down, even from the marked down price. On May 31st, 2007 we returned to pick it up. It was a gorgeous day, I backed up my truck, hooked up and towed it away. It was an incredible feeling. And my all black truck with all black boat looked reallly really good together(in my opinion of course..lol). Then it rained for two weeks straight and we couldn't use it!!

Edited by Sunscape fan

My desire to own a Bu came just before y2k when my family took a trip to Florida and stopped for a day in Loudin, Tn Malibu factory and took a tour. Seeing the care and quality being built in was wonderful. Fast forward a few years...lost the first boat, lost the wife...Time for a boat of my own and a good winter project...

I remember it was November 2005 and I had seen an ad on one of the used inboard sites. Drove from west burbs of Chicago to Skiers Pier in Eastern Michigan to pick it up. She was rough but the motor was perfect and the floor good. I bought it as a project boat and have put a lot of time and $$ into her that first two years to get her up to speed but, she runs great and my kids love to ski and wakeboard on it.

The test ride was cold, and it took a while to start (carb rebuild) I remember and was so excited to hook a "Malibu" up to the back of my Tahoe! I remember stopping for dinner on the way home and parking in such a way that I could see her sitting there thinking "I can't believe I finally own a Malibu".

She still gets lots of looks and thumbs up and best of all.....SHE'S COMPLETELY PAID FOR!