Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

99 Response LX 12V lighter sockets dead

I've used a hand held high beam light for a couple of years in my boat. Never a problem until last week.

I plugged in my 12 V beam light into the lighter socket (the one below the throttle). My light worked for a couple of minutes, and then it went out. I checked that it was plugged in, the light quickly flashed (like the bulb went out), and then it wouldn't work. I plugged it in to the socket that is in the glove box. No work.

I plugged the light into a car, and it works just fine.

None of the circuit breakers have blown. The wires are very hard to trace because all of the wires in that boat is "sheathed."

Is there an extra fuse somewhere I should be checking?

I'm handy with a volt meter, but I don't know where to start. Anyone have a wiring diagram? Every other electrical system in the boat is working, so the problem is isolated to the 12v plugs.

Check power on the sockets first. There is a small tab at the end of the socket that is + volts. The ring of metal around the inside of the socket is - volts. Start with that to see if there is power. There might be an intermittent issue with the light, at least you can rule out whether you have continuous power at the socket.

When I had a 2000 VLX, I had a similiar problem. I found that the connection behind the breaker panel to the right of the driver was loose. It was just a spade type connector that needed to be pushed in further but it was a real pain to get a hand back there.