Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cap and Rotor Swap

EchelonMike

All:

I changed the cap and rotor as a part of my winterization yesterday (sorry to use the hated "w" word already! Ha!) on my XTI. The boat has 359 hrs and was running awesome, but I was pretty sure it was the original cap and rotor (ten years old) so I bought the OEM marine kit off SkiDim for less than $30 bucks. While the boat was running great, the rotor had a lot more wear on the tip of the electrode than I would have imagined...I think I was living on borrowed time. The cap looked better with less wear at each contact point:

IMAG0575.jpg

IMAG0576.jpg

If you have not changed out your cap and rotor in awhile, it takes all of 10 minutes and will keep you from getting stranded some nice sunny weekend day! I now have new plug wires, plugs, and cap and rotor. Assuming the coil keeps firing, I should be ready for the 2013 season! Stupid winter. :-)

-- Mike

Good info Mike! I saw another thread a few days ago on the topic, and thought maybe I ought to do the same thing. My engine generally ran solid this summer (413 hours), but at times I wondered if it might be a little down on power. Your post confirms for me that this is something I just need to do.

One more question, not too far O/T... I see you mentioned new plug wires too. What did you go with? Anybody have recommendation for good wires?

I got a set of wires from Bakes. The Malibu OEM ones. Cost around $60 if I remember. I measured the resistance wire by wire as I swapped them out and the new wires were about 1/3 of the resistance as the old ones. I posted a chart somewhere. Seemed to have cleaned up the idle a bit, but that might be my imagination.

• Like 1

Here's the 'chart' I made when swapping the wires. All values in KOhms.

Wire, Old, New

Coil, 14.15, 3.39

1, 30.0, 7.5

2, 21.2, 7.45

3, 19.3, 7.5

4, 17.3, 5.9

5, 17.7, 5.9

6, 14.1, 5.1

7, 12.5, 5.8

8, 21.2, 4.4

Cool, thanks. So by way of confirmation, is this the cap/rotor part that you ordered from skidim?

http://www.skidim.co...tinfo/RP173081/

Yep, that's the one! Says PCM on it vs Indmar but it is the correct part for EFI Indmar. They have a 10% off your order promo too. Just type "Layup" in the promo code and they'll take off 10% of whatever you order.

I also ordered a new steering cable. Was going to do that as a part of my winterization wrenching projects, but lost my daylight/good weather, so that will have to be a spring project to get me going in 2013!

-- Mike

Are these parts universal for Indmar engines? Specifically will they work for a 325 Monsoon?

I've been waiting for the engine to start running poorly but a few threads here have changed my mind.

Are these parts universal for Indmar engines? Specifically will they work for a 325 Monsoon?

I've been waiting for the engine to start running poorly but a few threads here have changed my mind.

The guy at Skidim will set you up with the correct parts. Just an fyi... When I first changed my at 600 hrs or so, the rotor was super stuck on. I had to cut it off (you cut a notch, then twist a screwdrive in the notch to make it break).

For the most part, yes, they are universal for EFI Indmar. You can double check with SkiDim if you want. Here is what the cap and rotor kit says on SkiDim:

CAP & ROTOR GM DELCO Distributors.

* Most Indmar EFI and carbureted after 1993.

* Not for coil pack type ignitions like LT1

* PCM GM EFI engines up to 2001 * Indmar Pt #556083

* Indmar thru 2005 (Monsoon, MCX, RTP)

Edited by EchelonMike