Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tranmission Wires? What is this?

malibuparadise

Aloha Crew,

Below is a pic showing:

1) Newly installed transmission neutral safety switch (upper right, silver switch with yellow wire). This solved the no-start problem when using the ignition switch. PO used a rusted screw driver to jump power to the starter, which blew my mind...he did add a new starter and ignition switch ;-) before he gave up trouble shooting and sold to me.

2) Newly installed shaft flange to transmission flange (installed new shaft (from Bake's) which was bent by PO). Had to completely redo aft motor mounts one at a time as they were corroded and not movable, but they turned out to be in better shape than initially thought--only heavy surface rust. For front mounts, soaked them with penetrating oil overnight and they were ok for adjusting in the morning. Shaft alignment is a real art, and I could not even come close to doing that myself. Take good care of your engine mounts!!!!

Now my questions/problem:

1) On top of the transmission (see round green corrosion area next to transmisson cooling hose fitting) there WAS, but are corroded off now, electrical connectors for 2 brown w/purple stripe wires and 1 black ground wire. I'm NOT sure both brown/purple wires were attached there though since everything corroded out. What is this? Do I need to replace/repair?

2) Also, across from transmission neutral safety switch, on top of the transmission there is a rusted button (switch?). What is that?

Gotta love how one thing leads to the next when you are trying to bring a disrespected 20-year-old boat back to life...

Any help greatly appreciated.

93 Bu skier with GM 350/5.7 L competition ski mercruiser

post-19658-0-44832700-1349673413_thumb.j

The device the wires used to be connected to was your transmission oil temperature switch. I would say that the two brown wires are meant to be on one terminal and the black on the other. It is likely that while the brown wires are not connected to anything, your coolant high temp alarm will not be working either. Get a new switch!

Here is a photo of the arrangement that was on my old 1993 Gilflite Shortline 190 with Mercruiser Comp Ski. It is slightly different to yours - my switch was fitted into a tee in the hose connection. I no longer have the boat so cannot get any better pictures or confirm wiring.

As I recall, the 'button' you refer to is the transmission breather.

Hope it helps...

Regards, Stephen.

Capture.jpg

DSCN0674.jpg

• Like 1

The device the wires used to be connected to was your transmission oil temperature switch. I would say that the two brown wires are meant to be on one terminal and the black on the other. It is likely that while the brown wires are not connected to anything, your coolant high temp alarm will not be working either. Get a new switch!

Here is a photo of the arrangement that was on my old 1993 Gilflite Shortline 190 with Mercruiser Comp Ski. It is slightly different to yours - my switch was fitted into a tee in the hose connection. I no longer have the boat so cannot get any better pictures or confirm wiring.

As I recall, the 'button' you refer to is the transmission breather.

Hope it helps...

Regards, Stephen.

Mahalo for the great info, Stephen.

I hope I can find that switch, and wish that "my switch was fitted into a tee in the hose connection" like yours was. That is a good idea though if I have problems.

What puzzles me now is there is a transmission oil temerature gage in the dash board. Maybe this is an high temp alarm signal?

Hmmm. Mine never had a temp gauge - just a buzzer and warning light that were common for coolant temp. oil pressure and transmission temp.

Try joinng all three wires together and see if it activates a warning light / buzzer or maybe sends your gauge full scale...

Hmmm. Mine never had a temp gauge - just a buzzer and warning light that were common for coolant temp. oil pressure and transmission temp.

Try joinng all three wires together and see if it activates a warning light / buzzer or maybe sends your gauge full scale...

Aloha again,

I called Bake's and attached is what I think I will need? But only two connections...hummm and there are three wires there....

BUT, more info here now, one of the brown/purple wires goes to another switch (pic), it is located right above the white oil filter.

the other disappears into the wire bundle. Does this tell us more?

post-19658-0-18468300-1349726403_thumb.j

post-19658-0-06073500-1349726436.jpg

You just need to connect both brown wires to one terminal (either one) and the black to the other. You can get a little adaptor that will allow you to plug two wires onto one terminal.

that ones the engine oil pressure sender (1 above the oil filter)

The threaded (rusted ahh..) hole above is just that, right? (nothing missing that is)

You just need to connect both brown wires to one terminal (either one) and the black to the other. You can get a little adaptor that will allow you to plug two wires onto one terminal.

Sweet to know. Happy Happy. Thanx