Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's this Tube? (Oil Change & Winterization Questions)

Big_Moose_Wakesetter

Hope everyone's enjoying their Columbus Day weekend! I'm spending mine trying to do my first winterization on the 2006 Wakesetter VLX I purchased from another forum member this July.

I've read through a lot of winterization topics so far and watched the video in the resources section so I'm feeling pretty confident about most of it right now. Based on what I've read, I'm planning on changing the engine oil and filter now and the transmission in the spring. Initially I thought I'd do both in the spring, but I saw a lot of recommendations suggesting to do the engine oil when winterizing but it seems like it doesn't really make a difference to wait until the spring for the transmission...let me know if you think I should reconsider that though.

I'm planning on fogging under the flame arrester, but not pulling the spark plugs to fog the cylinders as I saw a warning about potential hydrolich lock but let me know if anyone disagrees with as well,

I was also happy to find that the previous owner Installed a Perko FlushPro so I'm planning on draining the water in the engine & transmission as I've seen described, then putting all the tubes back on and running antifreeze in with the FlushPro. It'd obviously be nice to just flush it with antifreeze without having to disconnect hoses to drain the water first, but I saw warnings about some of the water not getting out, mixing with the antifreeze, and freezing so I'm planning to drain everything first. Does anyone think that's probably unnecessary though?

Finally my most important question is about a tube i noticed while looking things over in preparation for the oil change. I've searched but I haven't been able to figure out what the tube I've shown in the pictures below is for. The end on the top of the pictures has a rubber plug on it and was inserted into a hole where I've circled on the second pic. The other end of the tube (with the metal piece on it) is open-ended and was just hanging as shown in the third pic.

Can anyone tell me what this tube is for and what the other end is supposed to be connected to? It's certainly concerning me but at least I didn't have any engine issues the last time I was out in the boat.

Thanks so much for any help and recommendations!!!

post-19551-0-79926300-1349637395_thumb.j

Edited by Big_Moose_Wakesetter

Sorry been having trouble with attaching files...looks like I'm going to have to attach them in multiple posts. Sorry about that.

Here's the picture that shows where the hose 'plugs in.'

post-19551-0-79284000-1349637466_thumb.j

This one shows it a little better...I can easily remove the hose from the hole it was in.

post-19551-0-29134500-1349637590_thumb.j

Edited by Big_Moose_Wakesetter

Once again...sorry for all the posts (I couldn't seem to figure out how to get pictures from dropbox to show up using links).

Here's one that shows the hose pretty much as I found it. The end that's towards the bottom of the pic has the metal piece on it and wasn't attached to anything.

post-19551-0-30792000-1349637682_thumb.j

Once again...sorry for all the posts (I couldn't seem to figure out how to get pictures from dropbox to show up using links).

Here's one that shows the hose pretty much as I found it. The end that's towards the bottom of the pic has the metal piece on it and wasn't attached to anything.

You need to loosen the large hose clamp holding the pink air filter onto the intake and slip that metal bracket underneath the hose clamp and air filter.

...and finally, here's a close-up of the 'free' end of the hose.

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm afraid to get started with any of my winterization activities since I'm thinking that this end of the hose should be hooked up to something and I don't want to get the boat up to temp with it just hanging as-is.

post-19551-0-94470000-1349637873_thumb.j

FANTASTIC! Thank you guys for the quick replies (I hadn't even finished uploading all my pics)!

So I have to clamp that metal piece under the hose clamp by the air filter so that the end of the tube is kind of 'in' the air filter? I'll go take a look and hopefully another pic to make sure I do what I think you're telling me to do. Thanks again so much!

The end of that hose is just gonna be sitting next to the air filter. It does not plug directly into anything. As long as the open end of the hose is real close to the air filter, the vacuum should pull the vapors in. (personally, I don't like this set up)

Thanks so much for the help Pete! I already knew who you were from all of your helpful posts I've come across while reading up on things!

Should it look something like this picture? I haven't slipped the metal bracket under the hose clamp yet, but I snapped a pic of it.

post-19551-0-50086600-1349639560_thumb.j

Okay great! Thanks again for the help Pete! Is there a better way to do it? I was thinking that it should perhaps be closer to the filter based on what you were saying above, but that's kind of where it seemed to work out when I went back there.