Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Goals Reached / New PB's

NorCaliBu

My goal for the season was to get more consistent at 28 off and start working on 32 off (34 mph). Done and done. My new PB is 3 @ 32 (Thanks for the coaching Phil and the awesome driving Barb. :lol: ) Our lake is down to 68° so another half dozen degrees down and I'll be digging out the suit and switching into winter slalom mode.

:yahoo: Wally Free Skiing! :yahoo:

I know inlandlaker hit a new PB...who else?

Anyone (who doesn't ski all winter :lame: ) want to commit to their goal for next season?

My winter goal is to make a full 32 off pass. :yes:

Last season I missed about 50% of my deepwater starts; couldn't run a pass; and felt like I was going to puke after my first attempted pass due to my fatness. I was miserable. This season in March I weighed around 250-55 and decided I'd had enough, so my goal was to get to at least under 220 so I could enjoy skiing again. I hit 199 pounds in july and I'm currently holding around 205. I ran a few 28 off @ 34.2 mph passes this August and got 4 @ 32 off one set; deepwater starts are effortless again; and I can ski multiple 8-pass sets without breathing hard.

My goal for next year is to come into the season in shape, stronger, and ready to ski and to run 32 off next summer consistently by the end of summer.

• Like 2

Set my PB this past summer too! Got pretty consistent at 32' off @ 34. Ran 3 bouys @ 35' off several times for a PB. Next year, I'm taken down a full pass at 35' off. :rockon:

Edited by BuFootin

I've always thought running 35 off is what separated the men from the boys, so to speak. With new ski technology, more people can do it it seems like now, but cutting into 38 off still means you are a skiing bad a** in my book.

• Like 1

This was my third year running the course and probly my worst year all around. The first part of June just when I was feeling like I was skiing good I pulled a rib muscle or something and was out all of June. In July it seemed like the wind was out of the North East 90% of the time, my course is on a public lake on the South West side. August was good and half of September was nice then temps dropped like a rock. All of September I was skiing at 28 off 36 mph like it was a walk in the park but didn't think there was much of a point to try any shorter. The year before was absolutly beautiful and I made a handful of passes at 32 off. My PB. Looking forward to next year already as my slalom year is over.

• Like 1

This was my first year working on the course, and first one skiing more than once or twice a year. I really wanted to just make sure I got out at least once a week if not two, and improve my skiing and get through the course. I made it through at 28mph maybe mid-seasonish and worked up to 30mph. Still not as consistent as I'd like, but things are winding down now and I'm lucky to get once a week at this point, generally less now. I hope to make 28&30 almost automatic next season and get up to 32, 34 if I'm really lucky.

I had a year full of interuptions and injuries, non-skiing related, that kept my back every time I was starting to get back into my grrove. As it sits now, there may still be some skiing down here for me, my best this year was 2@39, Of course this was behing my '03 RLXi, my best overal is 6@39 but that was a few years back. I don't know that it's realistic to think that I'll get enough ski time in to do better than 2@39 this year. Big hopes for next year though!

I had a year full of interuptions and injuries, non-skiing related, that kept my back every time I was starting to get back into my grrove. As it sits now, there may still be some skiing down here for me, my best this year was 2@39, Of course this was behing my '03 RLXi, my best overal is 6@39 but that was a few years back. I don't know that it's realistic to think that I'll get enough ski time in to do better than 2@39 this year. Big hopes for next year though!

some day when i grow up...

I'm surprised this is all slalom goals so far...

My slalom game sucked this year, I won't even get into that.

My footing improved at least...800 total point trick passes is a new pb.

And not that anybody trick skis anymore, but I broke 1000 points in tricks for the first time.

My goals this year were to learn to barefoot, land a tantrum, and run the course at 34 mph. I tried barefooting (it ended quite bad, the conditions were not ideal), I threw tons of tantrums (I can land them 50% of the time, but I just can't hold onto the rope, and ended up developing a bit of tennis elbow), and only got 4 at 34 mph (all though I've only made it on the course a hand full of times & this is really the first year I've seriously tried to ski the course). I really envy everyone that is cutting line, I sure hope I can get there before I get too old.

Even though I didn't meet a single goal, I still don't consider myself a failure this year, the amount of time I spent on the water this year was incredible and made up for failing at my goals. Plus I think the last month my wife picked up the buoy bug. Next year I am going to join a ski club, ski the course more, and focus on my technique (not making buoys).

Yep...work on technique and the buoys will follow. DOn't get ina hurry either...easy to develop bad habits when scrabbling.

ANd video tape it...you'd be amazed what you think you are doing, and then when ya see yourself and what you're are actually doing.. The video may be one of the best coaching tools avail to skiers. Outside of having Bob LaPoint for the day.

ANd probably the next important is simply time on the water and skiing the course. The ski club will help too...as you'll have great water all the time, and members to critique.

You have access to Golden Gate, PRo Am, Berkely, Middle River, Diablo and a couple others out there.....in fact the weather is still good, you could get started on it this weekend!

Edited by jkendallmsce

Yep...work on technique and the buoys will follow. DOn't get ina hurry either...easy to develop bad habits when scrabbling.

Truer words... This year, finally- after years of relentlessly perfecting bad habits- I went back to basics, corrected one thing at a time, and in the last month I'm able to get thru consistently at 15' off @ 34 mph. Small feat, but I made more progress in the last 6 weeks than in prior 6 years.

• Like 1

Well this was my best year so far. I have been running a lot of 32's. MPH that is, this is the only time I can act like a bad *** where someone may think it is 32 off! I started at 30 mph early in the season. I worked a lot on form and started nailing 32's. My PB, set this year is 3 at 34. Well, then the unthinkable crash and separtated the shoulder for the second time. In the off season I'll do surgery and therapy, so watch out next year! I'll start cutting rope! :clap:

• Like 1

The course is not as easy as it looks...I always like a quote from ski magazine a few years ago....they said if you took professional skiers and baseball players and had them switch sports, the skiers would be hitting 90 mph fatsballs, but the basball players would not be making it thru the course...too bad the sport is not condusive to TV, maybe then there would some money in it.....

Personally, I didn't achieve squat for goals. Course was down most of the summer to due extraordinary abuse from tubers and club lake is too dry. I think I skied course like 6 times, once was Tuesday behind the new VTX which skied surprisingly well though I didn't shorten past 22 even though I didn't miss a pass. Just not in shape right now for getting "up it".

Aside form my personal goals, got the 4 year old skiing on his trainer consistently and the 2 year old riding solo on the kneeboard. All in all, that was frankly more satisfying than 35 which was the goal, though that didn't come close to going down this year.

Just happy to get as much skiing in as I did after 4 surgery for Cancer and 1 for a elbow issue. Only got about 1/2 of what I normally ski. Weather has been no help at all. It's been one windy year. I am still in the water but getting many nights well below freezing so I am watching that as well but want to get out some more.

I have skied well at times this year and fair a lot. I just pulled the pontoon today another cold very windy wet day.

My goal for next season is to be able to slip into my ski without having my vest unzipped and holding my breath because of my fat gut.

• Like 2

My goal for next season is to be able to slip into my ski without having my vest unzipped and holding my breath because of my fat gut.

:clap::plus1:

my goal next season is to set a new pb (a.k.a. not ski any worse than i did this year).

i know that i'm going to start showing my age but i'd like to avoid it as long as i can.

Personally, I didn't achieve squat for goals. Course was down most of the summer to due extraordinary abuse from tubers and club lake is too dry. I think I skied course like 6 times, once was Tuesday behind the new VTX which skied surprisingly well though I didn't shorten past 22 even though I didn't miss a pass. Just not in shape right now for getting "up it".

Aside form my personal goals, got the 4 year old skiing on his trainer consistently and the 2 year old riding solo on the kneeboard. All in all, that was frankly more satisfying than 35 which was the goal, though that didn't come close to going down this year.

I would be interested in your thoughts on the VTX vs the Response? How did you have your VTX set up for slalom skiing?

I have skied a lot this year, but just never made it into the course. I really feel like I improved a lot, so am interested to see how I do chasing balls. Probably will need to wait until next year now.

:clap::plus1:

my goal next season is to set a new pb (a.k.a. not ski any worse than i did this year).

i know that i'm going to start showing my age but i'd like to avoid it as long as i can.

Amen Brutha!!!!! Not long before I start defining good seasons by not loosing buoy count...

I would be interested in your thoughts on the VTX vs the Response? How did you have your VTX set up for slalom skiing?

I have skied a lot this year, but just never made it into the course. I really feel like I improved a lot, so am interested to see how I do chasing balls. Probably will need to wait until next year now.

Well, there really is no comparison for both the driver and the skier. That said, the VTX is the best skiing vdrive ever made IMO, and won't hold you back. I'ts like snow skiing on some crust vs fresh powder. You cna make nice turns on both and have a great time, ones just a little more epic than the other. I've noly skied the VTX once (used to ski behind a 2004 sunscape 21 regularly) and it is nicer than the 21. The 2013 center pylon helps with the tracking for sure, but in the course VTX tracking is more than acceptable. We skied it with front bow tank full then emptied. I didn't get to go again with the front empty but my buddy said he liekd it better and I think he got 3 @ 32 that night. Overall, while the wakes won't be confused with a repsonse, the VTX is more than at home in the course. Some might say this is heresy, but I would take that wake over a 196, the shape of which has never gotten along with me for some reason.

our lake removed the course a few years ago so I can't ski one anymore (until I buy my own ) so my goal is to get on the lake more than ever next year to ski. wakeboard, surf and skate. This year we have about 87 days on water so far and the weather is looking like snow. Can I make 150 days next year?

• 1 month later...

Set a goal to learn to barefoot. Achieved that goal, deep water start as well! I got to bf double with my coach, pretty cool. It draws people out to watch on my "pontoon" lake.

• 3 months later...

I ran 32 in a tournament for the first time and had a tournament PB of 3.5@35 off which I ran twice. My practice PB is 4@35 which I ran on 3 different skis. 35 will go down next year.