Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hull and construction question

zone 5

I'm not sure if this is the correct part of the forum to ask this in, but I'm sure I will get told if its wrong :)

I am looking in the mid 90's to early 2000 years boats. Mostly the Sunsetter direct drive. NOT the V drives.

I am getting back into skiing for the first time in a while. I am familiar with the Response Diamond hull from then, and skied it a lot. What I am not familiar with is the SV23 wake hull that is under the Sunsetter hull, and how different it is from the diamond. I've read through the resource part of the site (great info!!) and I see that certain years the Sunsetter had wake, and certain years the diamond. I also see that the Sunsetter had the SV23 throught 97, then in 98 it went to SV23 wake, and then in 99 it depended on which one the Lx or LXi which hull you got.

I know its a wordy question, but what I'd like to know, is how the slalom wake on the Sunsetter SV23 or SV23 wake hull is as compared to the diamond. Mostly free skiing in the 30-32 mph 15-22 off.

My 2nd question is to confirm what it seems all the brochures that this site has posted, and that is that at least back as far as 1995, all Malibu's had 100% wood free construction. Stringers floor etc. So, IOW's any used boat from then forward I would not have to worry about any rot in the boats construction.

Thanks for any help, and I apoligize for the long question for what is probably a simple answer

As far as construction, Sunsetter/Skier Euro only starting in 93 were no wood, as well as all Echelons. All other boats 95 up were no wood. Easy to spot the Sunsetter changeover by the square vs. round windshield.

Plenty of people love the Sunsetter LX, but the LXi seems to be the hot choice for skiers.

I do love my Echelon LX, but if I were to upgrade in Malibu it would be to a Sunsetter LXi.

I really do, and we had a former national slalom champ ski behind it at a family reunion. His comment was that there really haven't been significant improvements in slalom wakes since then. The newer boats are bigger and track better, but the wakes remain similar to the older smaller boats because of all the new hull designs.

We do cruise chains-of-lakes a bit so the extra storage locker and freeboard (drier ride in chop) of the SSLXi would be better for our usage.

I have the SV23 wake hull in a 95. Above 30 mph, I cant believe how small the wake is. I skied the course for years on promo nautiques.

Above 30, it's lower than those, although wider for sure. Slightly more turbulent on top, but deifintely lower. My sister has an 86 Stars and Stripes, that I've skied for 20 years or so. It's wake at 31-32 is about the same height, but narrower, with a crisper edge than the SV23 wake hull.

I've never skied the diamond hull. But, if it is smaller than the SV23, it has to be awesome. I ski between the MC and my boat sometimes and, I can drag down the MC easy, it's fun. I can't even think about dragging down my boat. I think, because its heavier, the mass is harder to deviate?

Good luck, if you want room and a good wake, these are great boats,

Steve B.

(quick edit: no wood on this boat)
Edited by Steve B.

I have the SV23 wake hull in a 95. Above 30 mph, I cant believe how small the wake is. I skied the course for years on promo nautiques.

Above 30, it's lower than those, although wider for sure. Slightly more turbulent on top, but deifintely lower. My sister has an 86 Stars and Stripes, that I've skied for 20 years or so. It's wake at 31-32 is about the same height, but narrower, with a crisper edge than the SV23 wake hull.

I've never skied the diamond hull. But, if it is smaller than the SV23, it has to be awesome. I ski between the MC and my boat sometimes and, I can drag down the MC easy, it's fun. I can't even think about dragging down my boat. I think, because its heavier, the mass is harder to deviate?

Good luck, if you want room and a good wake, these are great boats,

Steve B.

Thanks Steve. Thats the exact info I was looking for. I've skied behind the Response and SN's but never the Sunsetter/Wake. It seems that they are out there at better prices than Responses, and I didn't want to waste sellers time or mine if its wake was only good at 34/36, as those days are long gone. and I do love the idea of the extra room.

Thanks again!!!!!

We had the 01 Sunsetter, and ours was actually on a diamond hull (special order), and it skied awesome. Hardly any wake there. We were on a course and skied behind a guys response LX once, and I could not tell much of a difference, if any at all.

However, our current 08 V Ride has the wake hull. Around 30, it is pretty big. When you take it up past 32, it gets a lot better, similar to our 01 wake, just softer and more of a hump, still skies great for a V drive though, and wakeboards awesome.