Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PCV or No PCV?

Trying to diagnose running rich and one thing to check is the PCV. I just want to make sure that I'm not supposed to have one :crazy: Researched and found conflicting information. All I have is a hose from the flame arrestor back to the valve cover and it just 90's down down into the valve cover. No traditional PCV anywhere, that sound right?

Someone also suggested that there should be one on both sides but I can not find one on the port side...?

06 Monsoon

Edited by Ndawg12

Ndawg.

Why do you think it's running rich?

First thing to check is the fuel pressure.

I did, 90 at key up. Looking into a fuel pressure regulator as well.

But I read about checking the pcv as well. The 90 that goes into the valve cover was not inserted in that hole, probably from me monkeying around with my distributor issue a while back. That's when I noticed the lack of a traditional metal pcv.

Edited by Ndawg12

I recently had a discussion with someone who's fuel pressure was that high.

It ended up being a clogged fuel filter after (I think?) the fuel pump. Why not replace that first?

Edited by Pistol Pete

I did, 90 at key up. Looking into a fuel pressure regulator as well.

But I read about checking the pcv as well. The 90 that goes into the valve cover was not inserted in that hole, probably from me monkeying around with my distributor issue a while back. That's when I noticed the lack of a traditional metal pcv.

whats the spec? Did u check it while running? Cars are generally 34ish

Pete I've never heard of a clogged fuel filter driving the pressure up or causing a rich mix. Interested how this can happen?

The Pcv is in inside of the right hand valve cover not far from the fuel pressure tap ( by your post you know where that is.). It's obscured by the plenum. I'll post a pic when I get home.

Edited by Ruffdog

90 PSI sounds high for an MPI engine. Does the fuel system have a return line at the end of the rail on your model? Where along the system did you take the fuel pressure reading, service nipple on the rail? In order for a clog or blockage to create a rich condition, the blockage would have to be after the fuel rail. If the blockage was before the fuel rail, you would have a lean engine due to low fuel volume at the injectors.

Edited by MLA

This thread has some good pics. of what Ndawg should have on his boat.

whats the spec? Did u check it while running? Cars are generally 34ish

Pete I've never heard of a clogged fuel filter driving the pressure up or causing a rich mix. Interested how this can happen?

The latest spec. I have is for 03 and it's 35-47 with MPI. These newer boats that are running the higher pressure systems, I don't know what that spec. is but, I think it was around 60 psi. 90 is way too high.

I agree that a clogged f. filter doesn't make sense, I can't remember who I was talking to about it but, he knew his f. pressure was around 90 psi. and he told me that he replaced a clogged fuel filter and it instantly fixed it. I seem to remember him telling me that the f. filter was after the fuel rail. I remember he had a later model boat and I'm guessing the high pressure system.

This thread has some good pics. of what Ndawg should have on his boat.

The latest spec. I have is for 03 and it's 35-47 with MPI. These newer boats that are running the higher pressure systems, I don't know what that spec. is but, I think it was around 60 psi. 90 is way too high.

I agree that a clogged f. filter doesn't make sense, I can't remember who I was talking to about it but, he knew his f. pressure was around 90 psi. and he told me that he replaced a clogged fuel filter and it instantly fixed it. I seem to remember him telling me that the f. filter was after the fuel rail. I remember he had a later model boat and I'm guessing the high pressure system.

Oh gotcha. There was a filter of some sort in the return? Strange that they would design it that way but makes sense why his fp was so high. Never heard of that before. Doh, it woulda taken all of 2 minutes to check my fp today while at the shop. Then Nate would have a baseline.

From my research 58-62 is an acceptable fp range at key up. Low fp = clogged filter or bad pump. High fp = bad fuel pressure regulator. Atleast that's what research has told me.

So the PCV is internal in the port side valve cover near the dipstick....?

Awesome Ruff, thanks, I'll take a look at mine tonight.

Yesterday I was able to get the fuel pressure regulator out, the screen wasn't really clogged but there was some black stuff on it. Cleaned that off and soaked the entire thing in carb cleaner and then pb blaster. Still have to check my fuel pressure again to see if that helped....

Also pulled my ECT (2 wire to the ECM) and checked ohms on that, at 62 degrees or so it read 3900. The chart I saw showed 3200 at 70 dgrees so I'm assuming that its functioning properly.

• Like 1

I just fixed this problem on my 06 Monsoon. It was the filter that's on the fuel pressure regulator. The fuel pressure should be between 58-62 as mentioned before. I'd be willing to be you have the same problem I did. The regulator was a little hard to find. It's on a fuel distrobution block which is connected to the fuel pump on the side of the engine. You can get to it easier from the trans area. One bolt to loosen the retainer. I ended up breaking the filter and just put it back together without the filter. The filter is only protecting the regulator. I couldn't find where to buy the filter by itself. Let me know if you have any questions. I can take a picture of the regulator on the dist. block this weekend if you need.

Jim

I always thought the FPR was to keep pressure in the fuel rails while running, and also while the engine is off. When my FPR went out in my truck it was not holding pressure in the fuel lines during starts. So my truck would start, idle rough, then die, it would do this several times, before finally running. But I guess if it failed close it would create a higher pressure. Have you checked your return line? Could there be a pinch in the return line somewhere, I though I read about some Tige boats in 04-06 having an issue like that?

Yesterday I was able to get the fuel pressure regulator out, the screen wasn't really clogged but there was some black stuff on it. Cleaned that off and soaked the entire thing in carb cleaner and then pb blaster. Still have to check my fuel pressure again to see if that helped....

You beat me with your last post. That is exactly what I found. I'll bet your problem is now fixed. I was surprised that the little bit of black stuff could clog it up enough.

I've been enjoying a much less smelly boat, better performance and way better fuel economy since!

Let us know your new fuel pressure.

I always thought the FPR was to keep pressure in the fuel rails while running, and also while the engine is off. When my FPR went out in my truck it was not holding pressure in the fuel lines during starts. So my truck would start, idle rough, then die, it would do this several times, before finally running. But I guess if it failed close it would create a higher pressure. Have you checked your return line? Could there be a pinch in the return line somewhere, I though I read about some Tige boats in 04-06 having an issue like that?

A pinched return line would do the same thing, but in this case the clogged filter is basically not allowing the pressure in the rail to be relieved...it's not getting to the regulator.

This thread might help

Edited by Jimmypooh

Awesome Ruff, thanks, I'll take a look at mine tonight.

Also pulled my ECT (2 wire to the ECM) and checked ohms on that, at 62 degrees or so it read 3900. The chart I saw showed 3200 at 70 dgrees so I'm assuming that its functioning properly.

Good work Nate. I would concentrate on that fuel pressure. 90 is just to high.