Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How many hours on your Malibu?

JAXONBOATS

Quck hijack (but related) - to the guys that trailer to the water - how long is your average outing? We have a place on a lake but have also occasionally trailered to other lakes. Are you on the water for 4 hours, 6 hours, etc.? I think we would put an easy 100 hours per season if we were launching the boat each time. Once your are out there, you are out there for a while it seems and you tend to make the most of it.

Takes us about 15-20 minutes to leave our house and be out on the water ready to go.

And about 240 hours on our 2010 VLX.

2007 247 LSV WS w/ 140 hrs, bought it used last year, first owner bought it new and only put 105 hrs on it. Since we bought our lake house and a Seadoo, boat hrs are way down. Used to spend 6-8 hrs/day on our Cobalt, now we just go out for 1-2 hrs for watersports then back to the dock to hang. Towing the tube with the Seadoo is really keeping hrs off the boat as well, it has the tow pkg, so is really nice for pulling. We have about an hr drive down to TRL.

'96 Sunsetter LX - approx 550hrs and still going strong. Original owners, got probably 300hrs on it in the first few years and then it sat for much of the time for quite a few years....Life... :( ...but we've been steadily using it more and more starting back in 2010ish. Finally made it back down to Cumberland after a 5 year break! We had been going for 13 years straight prior. Never again!!! Love my Malibu!

Edited by BAM298

GREAT SUPPORT from the CREW

155 Malibu boats counted with a total of 55,181 hours!!!

Current annual Average for all boats is 51 hours per year.

2006 to 2012 we counted 100 boats that average 65 hours per year.

What is LOW hours?= Anything below 50 hours per year seems to be a good start for a Malibu.

Notable Records:

Most Hours 1345 on a 2004 Response posted by tvano

Most Single Year use goes to pkh with 285hrs on a 2012

Petefranc wants to catch up with his 2002 with 162 hours

Malibu Boat Average Annual Use Data.doc

Edited by JAXONBOATS

155 Malibu boats counted with a total of 55,181 hours!!!

Current annual Average for all boats is 51 hours per year.

2006 to 2012 we counted 100 boats that average 65 hours per year.

What is LOW hours?= Anything below 50 hours per year seems to be a good start for a Malibu.

Notable Records:

Most Single Year use goes to pkh with 285hrs on a 2012

Petefranc wants to catch up with his 2002 with 162 hours

Sorry but we have a Wakesetter VLX 2012 (delivered on 11/11/2011) that have 450 hours on the engine.

Luciano

08 VTX (Late year so could almost be an 09)

760 hours.

95% of those hours are with a wakeboarder since we have almost 0 travel time to where we pull.

Still runs like it was new. Although I did just order new skins cause the seats are breaking down,

05 VLX with 520 hours. New to me in Oct of 11 with 405 hours on it.

Looks like its all the riders that put lots of use on their boats posting.

Unfortunatly boat is now laid up for the winter. Untill next spring.....

161 Malibu boats counted with a total of 57,876 hours!!!

Current annual Average for all boats years is 52 hours per year.

2006 to 2012 we counted 104 boats that average 68 hours per year.

Notable Records:

Most Single Year use goes to Luciano who posted a whopping 450 hours on a 2012 VLX. WAY TO GO!!!

Petefranc gets the most notiable mention 2002 with 162 hours = 16 hours per year……

Highest Annual Average year Malibu is also the Lowest Annual Average Malibu 2012 with a low hours of 2 and a high average of 450 hours.

2007 boasts the most “reported in” hours with 27 boats.

The information is priceless! For new buyers that are curious about how long will the engine last, for all of us to know posting an 80 hour season is barely above average and for me in disbelief with an incredible 58,000 combined hours is just phenomenal!! We are basically almost double the National Average. Next season I need to post a 200+ hour year just to be almost half way to the single season record. SHUCKS that really breaks my heart.

It is my pleasure, thanks for the acknowledgment.

jack

2001 Sunsetter LXI with 285 hours.

I am the second owner. I bought her mid summer 2010 with only 176 hours at the time. We live on a lake and get out 3-4 times a week from April to October but do 1000 times more floating than driving. Probably only 20-40 minutes on the engine per outing, just enough for Mama and I to get a ski or boarding set in then we park it and swim with the kids. I'm sure my hours will skyrocket when the kids get a little older and start skiing and boarding themselves.

1989 Malibu Skier, 523 hours. Original engine, runs like a champ.

Just to convert that into automobile miles, for an interesting comparison, suppose the average car travels at an average speed of 30mph, then that's 15,690 miles. She's low mileage baby!

Edited by CliffB

Just to convert that into automobile miles, for an interesting comparison, suppose the average car travels at an average speed of 30mph, then that's 15,690 miles. She's low mileage baby!

keep in mind that while your car is loafing along at 70 mph it's turning in the neighborhood of 2k rpm.

your boat is spinning 3500 rpm at 34 mph.

It would be like doing the 15,690 miles in 1st gear.

GREAT MINDS think alike!

1989 with 523 hours is 23 hours average per year..............Thats a new boat!

58,709 total hours, 163 boats counted, Overall average is 51 hours per year, 2012 has the highest use hours shown with one single boat with 450 hours lifted the annual average for that year by 19hours. Lowest annual average user is our 1985Skier boat with 14 hours per year

It would be like doing the 15,690 miles in 1st gear.

I wouldn't agree with that.

If you look at how most ski boats are used, a good chunk of the time the boat is just idling....people getting in and out of the water, mucking around with setting up gear, sometimes just sitting there with the ignition switch on and listening to music w/o the engine even running at all.

My old 'BuSkier does 25mph at 2,200 rpm and that's where we cruise. Of course, the prior owner may have been doing 48mph at 4,300rpm all day long though (I hope not!)

Edited by CliffB

With our computer we can pull usage data, the following is a typical distribution of engine RPM verses total hours used.

Engine RPM::VS:: % of USE :: 0-1000rpm=54%:::1001-2000rpm=6%:::2001-3000rpm=28%:::3001-4000=8%:::4001-5000=3%:::WOT=1%:::::

So more then half the time is basically idle mode.