Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sacramento

JoeMama

jkendallmsce

be careful...the 5 mph is not well maked...from the old town bridge to Discovery Park is all 5 mph...I think...they seem to stay in that area.

COurse you have a few restaurants and bars, so they are always on the lookout for BUIs.

A cruise up the river would be nice this time of year....

1) Discovery park is located beside I-5 in downtown Sacramento. From I-5 take the Richards Blvd. off-ramp then go west to get to the south entrance of the park, or follow the Garden Highway exit east from I-5 to find the north entrance. Signs denote the park's location from I-5.Department of Parks and Recreation (916) 875-6961 The park is open year round from sunrise to sunset. Parking fees are collected 365 days a year. $10. May get ticket after sunset.

2) Sacramento Marina 2710 Ramp Way Sacramento, CA 95818 | Tel 916-808-5712 | Fax 916-808-8163. Have a secured marina and $1 ft for overnigght,.

1) How far up the river, like how many miles? Any obstructions thatr are not marked?

2) Do the Sheriffs pull you over if driver is drinking a beer just to check? Or do you have to be acting like you shouldnt be driving?

be careful...the 5 mph is not well maked...from the old town bridge to Discovery Park is all 5 mph...I think...they seem to stay in that area.

COurse you have a few restaurants and bars, so they are always on the lookout for BUIs.

A cruise up the river would be nice this time of year....

We skied the river my whole life growing up. The Sheriffs will make random stops, and will usally make up/exagerate why they stopped you, and you can tell it's a beer check. Just an example, one time they stopped us because I had taken "too long" to put up the flag. They told us that I had taken "at least 30 secounds" to put it up. Then they ask a bunch of questions and make sure you have all the required safty equipment. I don't drink and boat, so I've never had to deal with that problem, but in the 5-6 times they stopped my boat, I felt they were always very rude to us.

Thanks. A few weeks ago I realized I could not find my registration. Went to AAA and within 5 minutes and $15 got one. So much better than DMV. Now I just need to check that my fire extinguisher is not expired.

jkendallmsce

Stay in the middle of the river, Corp of Engineers installed wing walls, none are marked, along the sides of the river...have seen a couple of very expensive accidents as result... Like Joemama on the rocks thing..... Even as far inland as Sacto is, the river rises and falls due to the tide.

You can drop in at Garcia Bend, South of Sacto about 10 miles.....free launch, so it can be a tad crazy, you get what you pay for!! ha ha

It has been 5+ years since I took the boat all the way the river, too many marinas (5 mph) and too many other obstacles/lake lice, chuckleheads/etc.. When I lived in Sacto, I'd drop in at Garcia and head south to the sugar beet factory, which was a great place to ski...

There are a few good places to eat..specially at Old Town Sacto.

Holiday weekends are the highest enforcement times. We got pulled over 2x within 45 minutes for an expired registration tag (forgot to put it on). They did look us over (for what seemd to be a dui check - can't be sure though). No tickets, just warnings - very polite!

Got pulled over years ago leaving Discovery Bay for accelerating just before the end of the 5 mph zone. 3 officers on the boat. They checked us out top to bottom and scolded me for not having the throwable life ring immediately accessible (it was on top of everything in the rear trunk - needed to be out and IMMEDIATELY accessible). They did write me up for speeding. The officer who wrote the ticket apologized and said that if it wasn't a holiday weekend and that his "boss" was on the boat, he would have just given me a warning. Cost $75 (if I remember correctly) and never showed up on my DMV record.

This last summer we were hangin/ changing skiers with the flag up in the deap water channel. Nobody around, I see a boat coming towards us and knew it was the popo. Very polite, asked if we were ok? and then asked, for all saftey stuff and got on me also for not having the throwable cushion witin in a blink of an eye. More or else just checking if we were BUI. Been going there for 40 years. and only can remember being talked to 2 times

Edited by brgrcru

We have been stopped darn near every time we have been out on the river! And always for very questionable seemingly made up violations by the officers to allow them the opportunity to conduct a "vessel safety inspection" pure BS... They are looking for dui's... And god help you if you dont have a type1 throwable life preserver. My last two interactions have been both under the I-5 Bridge. And both times were for wake size...its hard to idle up current with 8 people in the boat and not create a wake behind the boat. Apparenty its all left up to the officers discretion as to how much is too much.. We have pretty much removed the river from our list of places to go anymore.

I launch at Miller Park, just south of Ol' Sac. Middle of the week is awesome water. Weekends on the other hand.............its amature hour! Cops are all over and sometimes the coast guard. People all over acting like idiots, I stay away from downtown on the wknds.

My favorite thing to do is go up river and ride for a while and then head to swabbies for tacos. Hands down some of the best I ever had! Anyone else ever go up there?

Yes you do need to watch the banks but stay in the middle and you should have no worries.

Is the water brackish? I've never (nor would I ever put my 'Bu in salt water...).

We have never had a problem with brackish water. Maybe if you were down by the SF bay. Never had to do a after use rinse, until we were home to clean the boat. Boat still looks great and we visit the delta for 5 day stays 3 or 4 times a year from LA. We also do the Colorado river and getting that calcium and water spots off is a pain the a**. The delta it's just a wipe your boat down and go home. Love the delta, even on the 4th of July weekend, you could spend the entire day with your own body of water and see know one.

Only been on Sac a couple times, I've never had issues with officers, maybe that's because I have an older boat and only ski. We see police in Discovery Bay almost every other time we are out, I like having the patrol boats out, because some of the boaters around there are flat out idiots, especially those heading back from Ski Beach.

1) How far up the river, like how many miles? Any obstructions thatr are not marked?

2) Do the Sheriffs pull you over if driver is drinking a beer just to check? Or do you have to be acting like you shouldnt be driving?

I know you can head up river pretty far, the furthest I've been was before it makes a Y right around Verona Marina. There were quite a few submerged jetty looking things on the east shore, and scattered logs and trees, but a lot less boaters.

All the people I've seen pulled over have done something silly or illegal, but some of the stories above do not surprise me.

Are there any places like beaches where people party it up and crank music? Kind of like Ski Beach in Delta?

I never party while on the water, but there are usually a lot of boats on the American River, east of hwy 5. There is also a beach that some people hang out at just down river from Sherwood Harbor Marina on the east shore

And also just like anywhere if you see a boat moored on a dock its 5 mph if you are within 200 feet of the dock.