Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is NADA an accurate way to assess the value of a boat in your opinion? Lets hear it.

Lance B. Johnson

NADA is a good basis, but it does not account for regional market adjustments (up or down), additional upgrades and options, actual boat condition, trailer (and trailer upgrades/options), or incremental brand value. As a percentage related to new values, Malibu seems to be holding a higher resale value than other brands.

One factor that many people tend to overlook is how well a boat has been loved. For example, a 2003 LSV with 500 hours on it that has all new interior may show a higher resale value than a similar 2003 LSV with 500 hours and all original interior, but the boat with all original interior has obviously been better-maintained. NADA can't put a value to that, but I prefer the original (even if I have to pay to replace it soon) and I will always pay more for something that has been babied.

In all of my years building and selling custom show cars, some people thought I was nuts when I listed my vehicles for sale at the prices I did. However, the buyers always ended up being people who asked more questions about the small details, such as what has been replaced, what is original, where has the vehicle been driven, where has it been stored, etc. Ironically, I learned more about "buying" vehicles than selling them from those buyers over the years.

Food for thought...

• Like 1