Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is NADA an accurate way to assess the value of a boat in your opinion? Lets hear it.

Lance B. Johnson

It places the values too low I think. Way too low. For example, a dealer offered my friend 12 for his 94 prostar 205 with 250 hours this year, and nada said 8 and it was worth 16.....

When I was shopping for boats 5 or 6 yrs ago it was way off.

Ditto Bill.

It's a guide nothing more, nothing less...once you start looking at the market you should be able to determine what the market value is for a certain boat model.

• Like 1

It is the guide on what a bank will loan you if you have to borrow money. Most prices will be a little higher if the boat is in great shape so be prepared to come out of pocket on anything over. Whether I take loans out on anything or not, I always go to my Credit Union and get all the numbers first before I make any serious offers.

Yea, they were crazy high when I bought mine too. Worked in my favor when it came time to finance the boat. But it made the seller think he was going to be able to sell the boat for more. 7 or 8 months later he had to drop his price into reality.

(Shameless plug) I think NADA is very accurate :whistle:

nada2006vRide.png

Oh BTW...http://www.themalibu...aybe2006-vride/

Haha but I can't imagine your asking 44,600 for your boat as nice as it is. But do you anticipate getting somwhere between the average and low retail number? Obviously like you Nate I am considering a change....

Never mind don't answer that. Just realized it was a question in poor taste considering you are selling your boat here.

Edited by Ruffdog

I paid 32k for my vride in 2008. I just have a difficult time believing the NADA value is about the same today.

NADA doesn't really account for hours or condition at all does it?

I'd think 32 is pretty darn close depending on hours condition and options. I got real close to that much when we sold our 06 last summer (265hrs) and it sold the same day I listed it on CL, so I might have priced it a little low.

IMHO sv23 vrides top out right about there (low 30s) because you can find 05 and later vlx's as low as 35, and the newer hull really is better in pretty much all respects (size, freeboard, surf wake).

EDIT: oh and I sold in 11 for exactly what I paid in 09 (let's not talk about how much money was into stereo, heater, etc).

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 2

Haha but I can't imagine your asking 44,600 for your boat as nice as it is. But do you anticipate getting somwhere between the average and low retail number? Obviously like you Nate I am considering a change....

Never mind don't answer that. Just realized it was a question in poor taste considering you are selling your boat here.

No problem, I'm asking just a fuzz above low retail. And there's plenty of options and add on's on my boat that aren't even available on NADA.

Well I am liking the way this conversation is headed....buy the boat for 32 and sell for the same price 4 years later? I have a few noteable upgrades (floating wedge) but we also clocked a few hours on her.

Well I am liking the way this conversation is headed....buy the boat for 32 and sell for the same price 4 years later? I have a few noteable upgrades (floating wedge) but we also clocked a few hours on her.

Don't forget you gotta replace it, that's why I'm on the fence about selling mine, it's for sale but my price is extremely firm at this point. Name of the game is sell high buy low but that's easier said than done. Not to mention there's a ton of over priced crap out there. I stopped in at a dealership who claims there they're the biggest online used boat dealer, meaning they sell alot of stuff sight unseen to the customer. After I saw what they had and inquired about pricing... :crazy:

• Like 1

I think the NADA guide is just old school garbage. That thing was printed back in the day when there was no internet, and it had a lot of value. Now, you can search the world, the country, the state, the "tri-state area", etc. on a variety of sites. That makes it obsolete. Unfortunately, banks won't take the time to do that and will default to the NADA value.

• Like 1

I actually believe it to be true that our boats are not depreciating (as fast...). I think the reason for it is the insanely high cost of new boats. Can you imagine paying $150k for a new 2013 X-star (ok bad example, nobody here would buy an MC). Still its been rather irresponbile of the boating industry to continue to push the price point up especially in this market. The used boat market will continue to flourish as a result.

Edited by JonnyRad91
  • Like 2

I watch the used market all the time. I can tell you this used prices are headed up! people looking at new boats get sticker shock. They go home and look at a boat 1-3 yrs old and figure for 20k-40k in savings. They can buy the new boat smell. Nada has gone up in values the last three years. I remember in 09 when my boat hit nada at the high 30`s. I was pissed! Today it hits the 50`s. Now Granted the real world I will only hit the mid- low 40`s. Maybe next year ill just say mid 40`s.

It places the values too low I think. Way too low. For example, a dealer offered my friend 12 for his 94 prostar 205 with 250 hours this year, and nada said 8 and it was worth 16.....

For boats that are that old, NADA is a piece of trash. The difference between a well maintained 18 year old boat and one that is not is such that you cannot assign value without considering the condition. A lot of 18 year old boats are out in the weeds in somebody's back yard. Selling for double what NADA said is not unrealistic.

Newer boats are more likely to be in similar condition and I think it is a reasonable estimate.

The Nada on my bu has gained $5000 since i bought it. Buy low sell high right? haha.

As said above...as long as a new boat goes up 5-10% every year, our used boats will not lose that 5-10% per year that they ordinarily lose. I think mine is still able to be sold what I paid for it 2 seasons ago, and same is true for most of us who bought used boats in the last 5 years.