Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How late in the season till you call it quits?

bcoppess23

Since this thread is hopping with some other folks that run super late in the season. Since there is literally no one else out and it's SO hard to find spotters, does anyone just go without a spotter? I have a hard time believing the DNR is out that time of year... I know a guy that was thinking about trying to go out with just 2, what would you say to that guy?

It would depend on the lake for sure. I friend of mine boats on a very populated lake and I would not dare to go out without a third. However, I boat in a small town in the middle of Amish country and I would take the chance as DNR is out on the weekends during peak season and are mainly focused on fishermen.

Rode yesterday. Air temp in the mid 60s. Water temp was 62. Board shorts & a heater shirt for myself. Shorty wetsuit for my buddy. Good rides for both of us. He's about to nail a front flip for the first time. Plus the boat went over 500 hrs. :rockon:

Afterwards I drained the heater, just in case.

We were also out yesterday afternoon. Air was 75F, water 61F. We wore shorts and a neo top.

There were a fair number of boats out yesterday getting in one last outing before the rain starts this next weekend. Although not perfect conditions, we were able to get in some good ski runs. Went until I didn't trust my legs to support me anymore.

We are trailering now, keeping the boat in it's garage at home.

Getting nights into the mid 20's so I need to watch the weather. Snowed yesterday ground was white but only for a short time. I pull first week of November if the weather will let me stay in. I go north around November 10-12 for hunting so the boat comes out and gets put away. Did have the snowmobile running yesterday.

Last year was my first with the 'bu, typically ski till about 10/10, water temps usually mid 50s in Northern MN and was in a 3/2mm 3/4 wetsuit. Last year we had a cold end of Sept., but very warm (60s-mid70s) October and my last run was the last week of Oct. around the 25th water temp was in high 40s to around 50, was in a drysuit from 10/8 on, but water temps acutally warmed for a week or so. Went out last week Wed. after work & it was low 60s air with 61 for water. We've had lows in mid 20's 30s since then with highs in the upper 40s low 50s. It'll be a drysuit for me as I would like to get out again, only issue is the reservior I normally launch at was a PITA about 10 days ago being 2-3 feet low and the other nearby lake I don't know as well and I need to watch wind direction. A small tub with a few inches of warm water from the shower warms cold hands and feet. Driver has the heater/heated seat. Have all the quick winterization connections, really only takes 5-10 min. extra and I'm on/off the water.

52 weeks a year here in San Diego.... (sorry)

We have two seasons - Daytime and Nightime.

Heater, heated seats, and shore starts when the water is really cold.

We do switch to dry suits for the winter, and yes, we are spoiled.

Life is good

If the harbor didn't freeze, I imagine I'd have up to about 48 weeks of open water on Lake Superior...;) but inland lakes typically have ice about 3 feet thick in Jan/Feb and shores are freezing up in mid Nov. I know one idividual who skied for the US from up here in the PanAm games around 2000 and was still skiing on an inland lake the first week of December. That was an odd year where it just never got real cold until the holiday's so I think most lakes only had thin layers of ice forming nightly.. :-D

I could always take up Great Lakes Surfing.

I'm thinking water temps in SD are 60s year round?

I realized this fall that the hot on the shower is a bit warm when lake temps are still in the 70s mixed with 160 engine temps. The water is about 115 out of the nozzle.

I have our boat in a heated garage so if the sun comes out during the winter and it's above 40 degrees we will throw on the dry suits and head out. Its like going to the mountains to go snowboarding, just dress warm. Plus we have the river to ourselves.

Edited by VLX Crush